News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Hi Ed

As you say, hopefully this is a good thing, albeit in a strange way. All the best for Monday and a quick and solid recovery!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Thanks Del. See you on the other side. Feeling like I've got a bit of a cold about me, so I'm strangely hoping it doesn't come to anything and I can still have my op. The alternative messes up a lot of plans for next year. Fingers crossed. :idiot:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Update -- still breathing. Feel a lot better at this stage than I did after the surgery to remove my kidney, though it's quite disturbing to have somebody mess with your breathing, the thing that keeps you alive. Went from running up six flights of stairs in the hospital to make my pre-op assessment on time, barely breaking a sweat (I'm usually pretty fit), to lungs exploding, gasping for breath, after climbing one flight at home this week, slowly.

Still, could be worse. Apparently it'll sort itself out over the next few weeks. I'm hitting the treadmill four or five times per day fort three minute intervals at gradually increasing speeds, then going up and down stairs three times in quick succession, gradually getting better. Started doing that Friday (sans stairs to begin with) and it's gradually getting easier.

I'm planning on doing a bit of DIY this week and eschewing work connected with the business to give myself a bit of a break.

Thanks for all the support, everybody.

Del -- how did NANOWRIMO go?
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Great news, Ed... well not that you're struggling with a single flight of stairs, but that you've come through okay and are working you're way back to fitness. That's brilliant!! Just great :-)

Yes, I hit my 50k with a few days to spare - but it was very tiring in it's own way. To make the 50k I had to write at almost every opportunity, every day, often at the expense of other things. But I did it.

Since then the pace has slowed, but I'm still working on the piece - did a thousand words plus today - and I'd guess it'll turn out somewhere round the 100k mark, one day. Then the first rewrite will add a load more, and the second will strip out even more!

Cheers!
Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Well done -- I thought you would manage it. Your self discipline is strong. The time was something I always struggled with. Time and tiredness. You must feel a great sense of accomplishment. Brilliant.

I remember people having varying views about the usefulness of NANO, but I don't think there are negatives, TBH. It gets you to write and write even when you don't feel like it, or you lack inspiration, or any idea where the story is going. Sure, if you took the words written and submitted it to a publisher as it is, then it's not going to be great, as you say. I think this is why the naysayers say nothing good comes out of it. From a personal development standpoint I think there are only gains.

With your editing skills and a good word count to work with, I think you'll get a decent novel out of it. Nice one, Del.

Ed

delboy

How's it going, Ed?

Got the old January blues here, struggling to find motivation for just about anything, but especially work. Time of year, I know. Give it a few weeks and I'm sure it'll all change.

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Hi Del, all good thanks. Just came back from two weeks in the sun in Egypt. Glad I did it, but I was a bit concerned about the potential lack of oxygen on the plane. Some cheaper airlines reduce the amount of oxygen they put into the cabin on longer flights to save money, and it was only four weeks after my op, with fluid still gurgling away in my lung. It was fine, though. The warm dry air dried up my lung and a break from British weather also made me feel a lot more like my old self.

I still get breathless from any kind of exertion, but I'm hoping that'll come right in time.

Know the January blues feeling too well. It's the short dark days of bad weather. Awful. I found taking St John's Wort extract made a surprising difference to my mood over the years. You can get it from places like Holland and Barret in capsule form, and even at Asda. I wouldn't have believed it, because I've never taken any of those types of things before, but the change is both subtle and noticeable. I went from not wanting to do anything to finding motivation out of nowhere and it subtly brightens your mood. I generally take it from October through to March if I'm feeling a bit low. Worth a try.

Don't know if you noticed, but the forum was in maintenance mode when I came to check it. I didn't put it into maintenance mode, so I'm thinking it may be a good time to stregthen my passwords and see if there are any security updates.

I hope you're all having a good start to the year.

Ed

Forum keeps going into maintenance mode on its own. Not sure if we are getting hacked or what it is. Not that there's much going on lately to be fun for a hacker.

Hope all's well with everybody.

Russell

Well, this is a bit of a surprise.  Every-so-often I give the forum a try and usually get some form of error. Anyway, brings back pleasant memories.  Should anyone else drop by, I hope you are well and that life is treating you good.  I'm well and truly retired with no complaints. I lie of course. I've loads of complaints, but nothing of substance.

Russell