News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulH

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

So, so tired - there's a million things I should be doing, but I can't keep my eyes open. I just wish I could sleep and wake up feeling refreshed for once. Argh... :/ must go to bed.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

I know that feeling, Ed. Two weeks off and then within days of going back to work I was/am sleeping far less well, getting stressed, working far too many hours... I'm trying my damndest to work it all out inside my head.

On top of all of this, ever since I sold the car it's been raining raining raining. Last night I was out on the motorcycle in some of the most atrocious weather I can recall. My leathers are still drying out and I have to slip into them again later. Nice.

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Urf - that's a horrible feeling. I hate pulling on wet, cold clothing - even if it's a wetsuit. You know you're about to go and get wet anyway, but it's horrible all the same.

I spent all day today marking and drilling holes in joists while labourers chipped away lime plaster above me, which created clouds of irritating dust all day, and at the same time rained sandy grit through the gaps in between the floor boards above my head. To make matters worse I had to be constantly looking upwards, while a mix of the dust and the wood chippings from the drill bit blew into my eyes from the fan on the motor of the drill. Awful. I marked and drilled over 200 25mm holes today - 36 joists, 6 holes in each, ten feet off the ground. This doesn't count any of the holes I drilled in the floors and framing timbers :/

I swear this is where the word 'boring' came from. It probably started out with people who had experienced the mind numbing tedium of boring a hole using nought but a stick and some sand, and they'd come to say of something tedious, "It was like boring." To which a fellow serf might ask, "Wood, or stone?" Whereupon the first serf might reply, "Stone - it was akin to boring a ruddy great hole in stone, using nought but a stick and some sand." Over the course of history we've dropped the simile and now refer to anything mind numbingly tedious as simply 'boring'. That's my guess, anyway. ::) Faaaak....

delboy

Sounds grim, Ed. Hopefully today you're getting to put things in the bored holes, or at least do something less monotonous. I've had a very busy week both during the day and in the evenings and am now feeling weary. If I can keep the energy levels up for another eight hours then I shall crack open a cool one and allow myself to do nothing for a while.

It's stil raining here. The first floods are back. Friend of mine with the funeral parlour was flooded yesterday. Roadwise, the usual suspects are starting to become impassable. And it's still coming down.

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

delboy

So Monday rolls relentlessly around again. It seems the older I get the quicker the weekends go. By the same token, the weeks flash by, too.

It's another busy week at work and outside - got two rehearsals with different bands this week, one for a one-off gig for which I'm meant to learn about forty songs. I know half of them so far... and Thursday's not too far away.

Trying to keep the pedal to the metal on the writing front as well, of course, but it's a struggle to write every day at the moment. Did manage a complete short story Saturday morning before anyone else got up and 3000 words last week on a novel that I'm trying to find my way into. At the moment it's early days and I haven't got much of a plan or any in depth character studies so I'm writing to discover, sotospeak. This will mean quite a lot of redrafting at some point in the future but I guess that's the way it is for me. I've never been one to be able to plan a long piece out before sitting down and writing.

Hey ho... to work!

Del

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

Back from my Isle of Man family holiday. Rained most days - quite exciting steering the car around floods, dodging huge waves crashing over Douglas promenade, and finding a dry hole in the sky so we could hike up Snaefel to the summit cafe.

Caught up with some reading. I was thrilled and inspired by a short story anthology by A.L. Kennedy but she spoilt me with her literary stylle. So when I tried to read Relentless by Simon Kernick, it felt so plodding and predictable I couldn't finish it. Ditto with Ken Follett's Whiteout but at least I skim-read it to find out what happened. I'm now reading Margaret Atwood's Coryx and Crake because it is the nearest to a literary science fiction I have on my shelf. It is too, and I've decided to try harder to imbue my own writing with a more literary feel. Could be a long haul!

delboy

Monday morning blues, today. Stacks to do, but no enthusiasm. It was a good weekend - Gloucester beat Bath away for the first time ever in the Premiership, I got to do lots of writing, ride the motorcycle, ride the pushbike, take the dog out for a few walks, enjoy a takeaway, learn a few songs on the guitar, take a bunch of rubbish down the tip etc etc. All of which goes even further to make this morning feel gloomy.

Ah well. Onwards and upwards...

Del

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Yeah, I know the feeling, only I spent the whole weekend working at home, so I don't feel much like I've even had a weekend. Then I get to work today thinking I'm probably going to have a half day, but I end up having to do somebody else's job as well as my own, and I've just got home now, at gone 9pm ::)

I'm eating my tea right now, which was kept hot in the oven for a couple of hours until it went black around the edges, at which point it was removed and left to cool for an hour before irradiating with microwave energy. It's stinging hot and soggy. Yum :/

Pharosian

Sunday afternoon a terrific wind storm blew through our area, and around 2:30 PM the power went out. We figured it would be back on by evening, but it wasn't. Went for a drive and found out just how bad it was around the neighborhood. Many, many trees damaged and limbs fallen on power lines... or the whole tree in some cases. Monday morning my boss called and said there was no power at the office, so I had the day off. Nice, but still no power at home, either. We are now into day 3 of no power.  Over 3/4 million people in our area were affected, and only about 50% have had power restored. My office had power today, so I'm able to send/receive e-mail and get back on the Internet after a couple of days without. Luckily, we have a gas hot water heater at home, so at least we can take showers, but it's been a bit rough. Some of us may not have power until Friday or Saturday!  :shocked:

Ed

Whoah - that must have been some storm to knock out power for three days. I guess you must have a lot of overhead cables around your area. You're lucky to have a gas fired hot water system that doesn't need power to operate - pretty much all gas water heaters in the UK have solenoid valves as part of the control system, so no power = no gas. It's only the old 'geyser' type dedicated water heaters that work without.

Our longest power outage here was about six or seven hours, but that was bad enough. I've got a generator, so we could have made it through in comfort, but I reckon the neighbours would have moaned about the noise from it. Around here it's a bit rural, so all the telegraph poles have both power and telecoms on them, which makes life interesting for the BT technicians, but also results in some pretty bad power surges in the telephone lines from time to time. We had one phone melt, backalong.

I hope you're back to normal soon, anyway. A day or two is tolerable, but after three days it starts to feel like the end of the world, I'd imagine.

Geoff_N

This morning, my daughter had her 20 week scan and her baby is a boy and apparently already riding an invisible bicycle!

Geoff

Ed

Was it the helmet or the cycle clips that gave him away? :fugly:

neilmarr

A can tell Geoff's back from the Isle of Man because there's somebody beating me at Scrabble again. Neil