News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desertwomble

Quote from: delboy on December 18, 2015, 06:58:26 AM
Looks like the British Western Fiction world continues as normal - just with a different publisher. Just had an acceptance from Crowood Press who have bought out Robert Hale Ltd. So one day in about a year's time my fifth Western: "Dead Man's Eyes" will hit a library near you  :-))

"Rollin', rollin', rollin'; keep them Westerns rollin', rawhide!"

Congrats, Derek.

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

marc_chagall

Geoff_N

marc_chagall

elay2433

Merry Christmas to you too, delph.  :sthumb: Hope you had a good one. Merry Christmas everybody.

Ed

Quote from: delboy on December 18, 2015, 06:58:26 AM
Looks like the British Western Fiction world continues as normal - just with a different publisher. Just had an acceptance from Crowood Press who have bought out Robert Hale Ltd. So one day in about a year's time my fifth Western: "Dead Man's Eyes" will hit a library near you  :-))

Congrats, Del -- that's great news :afro:

Merry Christmas all  :sthumb: I've been off on my hols to Gran Canaria for a week. It was good, but now I've got this all inclusive belly to work off at the gymn :santa_undecided:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Happy New Year, one and all - couple of days late I know, but what the hell. Hopefully you're all still on track with your new year resolutions?
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Happy new year, Del, and everybody else :afro:

No resolutions here. I tend to decide on a course of action driven by necessity rather than the date. I think it's a good idea to contemplate exactly what you want to achieve in the year ahead at this point, though. It's always good to have a plan, even if it later changes as you go along. I'll give it some thought -- thanks for the reminder :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, folks!

Congrats on the Western finding a home, Del!

Geoff-  who knows, maybe for reasons completely unknown to me I'll find myself back in that cafe the exact time you pop back haha

If I've learnt anything from 2015 it's that the future isn't set in stone. Every single one of my plans fell through, except for my wedding/two visits to the States. I'm currently waiting to hear on a green card application, although it's with Texas and they take bloody ages to process that sort of stuff.

I did manage to finish a novel though, and I've sent it off to beta readers today. I've eyeballed a few publishers but if that all falls through/doesn't pan out, I may...may...dip my toes into the murky waters of self-publishing  :shocked:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

marc_chagall

Rev, I was never a fan of self-publishing till I did it - and found my self-pubbed book selling faster than my trad published books. So who knows  :scratch:  The self-pubbed one is paperback only, so I can't even put that down to e-book sales.

Ed

Hi Rev, sounds like exciting times for you. Have to agree that nothing's set in stone. Last year was a real roller coaster ride with lots of things changing that I didn't see coming, things that seemed certain to stay the same.

Can't imagine you moving to Texas from Scunthorp -- that's quite a change. Good luck with the novel. I bet it's a good read :afro:

delboy

Anyone use Duotrope now that it has a subscription fee? I used to find a few potential markets there in the old days but I'm a bit out of touch with anything that doesn't involve a horse and a Colt. I'm revisiting a few older pieces and am wondering if it's worth the subscription fee?
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Depends what sort of market you're looking for. I paid the fee for a year, but didn't feel I got my money's worth as I tend to end for the lit fic and poetry end of things, and they're easy enough to find without using Duotrope.

elay2433

I paid for a year, too. I didn't really get my money's worth either, but that's due more to me not taking advantage of all the market listings rather than it not being of any value. I can see it being worth it if you're writing and subbing a lot. Otherwise, there are a few other sources for market listings out there. One of my favorites is http://www.darkmarkets.com

One of the things I liked most about Duotrope was the statistics. If I was subbing to an anthology it was fun to watch the stats roll in and update daily. I could see how many new subs came in for the market, how many rejections had gone through, and if I hadn't received my rejection yet, I could fantasize that my story was being held for a second read.

The other thing I liked was the calendar feature where they organized themed markets by closing date. That way you could just browse through and, based on you own writing/editing speed, pick a market/theme that would fit your schedule and tastes.

I typically find enough to keep my busy with the Darkmarkets site, but if I can't find anything there that interests me, I just google search for open markets. A bit more tedious, but between the two I'm not wasting any money. If I wrote more and subbed more, I'd probably kick up a subscription to Duotrope. I do occasionally drop the five bucks for a single month subscription.

desertwomble

That's a great looking site, Elay.

Here's one I've just come across that needs the author to subscribe to the site:

https://winningwriters.com/the-best-free-literary-contests

Strangely enough, this site came to me along with an editorial about being wary of anything that's 'free', i.e. giving your book away for free on Amazon, and a customer's expectations of quality of anything that's free.

DW :cheesy:

http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf