gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55860 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 October 15, 2018, 07:13:04 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Characterizations of a poem  (Read 3409 times)
Lali
Stiff

« on: November 26, 2004, 05:19:29 AM »

What defines a poem as a poem? What are the characteristics of a poem? Are there any set of specific rules that must be followed in order for a piece to be called poetry? Also, how important is rhyming?
Neuromancer
Indefatigable Misanthrope
Mortician

Semper Veritas

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 12:54:45 PM »

Depends there are many types of poems...from Haiku (a 17 syllable poem, consiting of one line 5 syllables, 7 syllables and 5 syllables.  Made famous by The samaurai of Japan)

This is my rifle
While there are many like it
This one is mine

Then you have a sonnet, popularized by William Shakespeare and revered as true love poetry.

I found these impossible to write.  14 lines, every other syllable is accented.  (But I checked and maybe in olde english you could accent every other syllable but I crackeda dictionary, and to do it and retain any flow is nearly impossible.  But maybe thats me)

Fre verse is most popular among the beatniks.

Keep a rhythym to it, but no rhyme scheme or defined sentence structure.

The sun Rose in the east
A blinding flash obliterated my sight
How like a man whose eyes agone
My mind revels in the serenity of seeing no more

(Or some such crap)

Still The most popular form of poetry is a rhyme scheme of, a,a, b, b, a  (which is the first second and last lines rhyme, and the 3rd and 4th lines rhyme...you may know this under another name... Limerick)

There was a man from nantucket
Whose ...

well you get the point Wink

There have bee na few poems posted here, and I suppose by request others might post more... but you would have to preced it with your own first Wink

Yes I am a writer, but my critics call me a typist.--Salem's Lot
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 03:50:35 PM »

I think it's a subjective thing - if you call something a poem then it is one, or so it seems to me.  Personally, I only consider something as being a poem if it's got a rhyming scheme.  If it hasn't got one then I don't really understand it, but that's my mental block, and the majority of people would (rightly) disagree.  Occasionally I'll read a freeform poem and think it was good, but it's pretty rare that I find one I like.  I think Jack Kerouac (however it's spelt) put me off poetry for life grin

But to answer your question - I dunno scratch heh  I think it's down to personal preference and whatever floats your boat smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 08:47:59 AM »

I know this is an old topic.  However, it might amuse you - it did me - to know that apparently, British academics can only agree on one valid criterion for poetry: that it's a piece of writing in which the author has determined the line-breaks, whereas in prose, the line breaks are determined by the width of the paper.  They fell out over every other possible definition!

I press 'return', therefore I am a poet!  :lol:
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 03:05:58 PM »

fugly  Sounds about right grin

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx