gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 11:11:28 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 5430 times)
Lali
Stiff

« on: November 26, 2004, 05:30:34 AM »

I write this under the impression people here use Photoshop for graphics and PM's , so if you use PSP or something else......... tongue

Just questions really. When did you guys start getting into it? And Photoshop, being that advanced and well, complicated,  how did you get started? Just fooled about? Tutorials? Someone taught you?

I remember it took me about a month to get familiar with the tools and interface and things.

Is anyone into Flash, Dreamweaver etc.?
Neuromancer
Indefatigable Misanthrope
Mortician

Semper Veritas

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 01:02:14 PM »

I just got photshop CS from my neighbor, and mainly because everyone else makes cool sigs and avatars is why I tried it

I learned it isnot the app itslef but the plug ins that make a difference.  Other wise its less useful to me then MS paint

I used to just request sigs from other people but I hate to be demanding, when asking a favor, so I never get what I want.

But I am working on it, I doubt I will ever be happy with what I make, but I will get better..

Yes I am a writer, but my critics call me a typist.--Salem's Lot
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 04:02:18 PM »

I had it on my comp for over a year before I managed to do anything remotely useful with it - found myself 'mindfucked' by the interface every time I started it up, same goes for Macromedia Flash (still haven't managed to do anything with that yet).  After I finally got started (with a few tips from other people), I found a few tutorials, did them, got better, and I've carried on from there.  I'm still about a 2 on the scale, if 1 is noob and 10 is pro, but I'm gradually learning smiley

I've only recently started playing with Dreamweaver, but I'm finding it useful for a few things.  Trouble is, as with most things, it actually takes me longer to do something with it than it would to code by hand.  Once I get the hang of it properly it should save me a lot of time though scratch

If you want to talk to anybody about Flash or PS, Criminally Insane is the person to talk to - he knows his way around both very well smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Lali
Stiff

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 02:53:15 AM »

I too got Photoshop because people in the forums I was a member in (a Harry Potter role playing forum  tongue) were making cool signatures and avatars and I wanted to learn how to make them. From there it just kind of grew, signatures, then photo manipulations, then colorings, then bits of vector here and there with Illustrator.

At the beginning,I was  swept away by all the downloadable plug ins, effects, filters, fonts,actions,patterns and especially brushes, my signatures kinda looked like just some stamped pictures.

My earlier ones were sort of like this

And then, as time went by, I found it severely annoying how most of my sigs look the same, so I set out on this quet to find as many tutorials and guides and things that bring it back to the basics to create all sorts of varied effects. A couple of months ago I made these, I made them all with the same theme (Themes were big at that time  8) ) of the weird fade out thing.

The brushes ended up being slightly (quite slight, but its progress smiley ) more towards texture. It was from that point on I dwindled down the use of thingamajigs and did the best I can with basic tools and explored a bit before resorting to stamping.

Filters and things are conditional, I make my own texture patterns though, to get the flawless continual effect.
Neuromancer
Mortician

Semper Veritas

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 05:22:33 AM »

I have no idea what you just said

Ugh, sigs good, talk bad ugh  wickedhahn sent me the emonkey(?) 2000 plugins, but all they are is filters?  I dont know, I was able to throw some chrome around and thats always cool

I just did a reformat and need to reinstall stuff.

I think my problem with photoshop is that to truly get the thing I want, I need to start with a blank screen and just create something.  But I really have no clue how to do that.  All I can do is take a picture and play with it.  I guess the next step is take 2 pictures and overlay them and stuff.  Maybe once I get the manipulation down, I can work on actually generating something, or maybe I am way off base and PS doesnt generate anything, only manipulates other stuff

AAARRRGGHHH Dasmn that photoshop, damn it straight to hell!!!

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 07:26:04 AM »

Good work there lali - it's nice to be getting some eye candy on these pages too smiley

I think most people start out making sigs, but the very first time I tried to use it was to make images for a webpage, from what I can remember.  I was scanning-in photos to my comp and uploading them to my website, but they were so huge that I couldn't do anything with them - megabytes in size - bigger than your average MP3 grin  Then somebody told me about Photoshop and I started trying to use it, but like I said before, I didn't have much luck for a long time.  The most I could do was crop/resize and save for web.  After that I started trying to make sigs and somebody told me about layers.  It was knowing about layers - that was the key to really getting started.

It was only a couple or three months ago that I found out about brushes, actions and all that other stuff, but, up until now, most of what I've been doing have been manips.  I think this one was my best grin

I took a pic of Carpefile on IP2P and grafted his face onto an orangutan -

And here's a sig I made for Crusher -

(That last one was one of my early attempts - I think I can do better now)

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ashen Decay
Mime Hater
Grave Digger

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 04:15:59 PM »

I started using PSP actually, I tried Photoshop but I found PSP to be far more superior for what I was doing...until I discovered the power of Photoshops layers and such.
I've been using the program now for about 5-6 years, I think, starting off with Photoshop 6.0

I started using it because I used to RP Vampire: The Masquerade online at a chatroom which has since died out, I used it for making character pictures and often had people requesting me to make things for them.
An example of one of my character pictures is below, his name was Moh' Fakah and he was a Nosferatu:

Since then I have expanded to doing full artistic pieces but I spent years just doing manips and such.

I made my first sig with it about 2-3 years ago which is the sig that follows:

I simply never needed a sig until I started trolling forums back in July of this year :O

Macromedia Flash
I have used flash a bit, I created an intro for an old crappy website of mine with it, looked tacky.
Then after that I created a website interfac with it and about a year or so ago I made a screensaver for the company I work for with it.
They didn't really appreciate it though, fuckers.
When I get back I intend to make another one for them though, I need the practice anyway.

Macromedia Dreamweaver
I have been using this for a while as well, ever since I realised how lame Frontpage really is.
My previous and current site are all coded in Dreamweaver, I find the interface acceptable and since I can't get a WYSIWYG PHP editor it'll do nicely I guess.

Ummm, any more questions, just ask

-----------------------------------------------
Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 04:33:20 PM »

Wow, very nice work there, Ashen cheers  How did you make that vampire pic?  Loads of brush work?  It looks excellent.

How's your hols going?  Still enjoying yourself, I hope smiley

Neuromancer
Mortician

Semper Veritas

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 10:26:32 PM »

I started using it because I used to RP Vampire: The Masquerade online at a chatroom which has since died out, I used it for making character pictures and often had people requesting me to make things for them.
An example of one of my character pictures is below, his name was Moh' Fakah and he was a Nosferatu:

I played Vampire many years ago and it was my second favorite RPG.  (Shadowrun being the first)

I just picked up V:TM the PC RPG, and I gotta say.... IT SUCKS.  Changingthe resolution doesnt change a damn thing in the game.  The windows that popup take half the screen.  The battles areannoying because even zoomed out, you still are in an almost 1st person view,.  And they lie about what buttons do what!!  I have yet to be able to RUN in battle so I can feed off of some stupid enemy, grr.

But it follows the game exactly which is pretty cool.  Unfortunately in single player mode you can not pick your clan.  You are a Brujah.  (Now that I think about it, I always plaued brujah in the RPG too, hmm)

I really wish they would come out with a Shadowrun RPG for PC.  (They had one for SNES many years ago, I owned it of course Wink )  I also DLed the SNES emulator so I could play it at work LOL  And then I downloaded the game neuromancer, but only played it for like 15 minutes LOL

Oh well, sorry bout the OT post

Ashen Decay
Mime Hater
Grave Digger

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 01:12:50 AM »

Blunt: Actually there is absolutely no brushwork involved there, if I remember correctly it was a filterwhoring followed by some intense blending to get the demon to sit in the middle and then I placed a border over the top of all that and deleted some of it, though I am very out of practice with my image manips since I started other things, I have some older gory ones you might not have seen me post at GFX that I will post in show off your work when I get back, they don't look so good (realistic) to me nowadays but some of you guys/gals will like them nonetheless, very gory.

I played Vampire many years ago and it was my second favorite RPG.  (Shadowrun being the first)

I just picked up V:TM the PC RPG, and I gotta say.... IT SUCKS.  Changingthe resolution doesnt change a damn thing in the game.  The windows that popup take half the screen.  The battles areannoying because even zoomed out, you still are in an almost 1st person view,.  And they lie about what buttons do what!!  I have yet to be able to RUN in battle so I can feed off of some stupid enemy, grr.

But it follows the game exactly which is pretty cool.  Unfortunately in single player mode you can not pick your clan.  You are a Brujah.  (Now that I think about it, I always plaued brujah in the RPG too, hmm)

I really wish they would come out with a Shadowrun RPG for PC.  (They had one for SNES many years ago, I owned it of course Wink )  I also DLed the SNES emulator so I could play it at work LOL  And then I downloaded the game neuromancer, but only played it for like 15 minutes LOL

Oh well, sorry bout the OT post

Cool stuff, I still RP D&D now, don't play V:tM as much though, even though it is still my favourite, I have the Assamite logo tattoo'd on my arm, as well as the Devil Tiger one from KoE on my other arm, so I'm pretty hardcore WoD, then they killed it all off recently and redid the whole thing, less clans and stuff, still need to check that out though.
Shadowrun is pretty cool, I used to RP that a little and I also played that game, it's also similar to CyberPunk which also rocks.
The Vampire game for the PC sucked ass, I played it online and the DM killed it for me, the moment I joined the server he game me max XP to max my levels and like...what is the point after tat, but they have a new one now, I will definately check that out...good to see more RPers on the boards though smiley

-----------------------------------------------
Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 04:09:24 AM »

Ah right - I was thinking that you made the character too.  I'd love to be able to draw stuff like that in PS.  Got a feeling I could do it, if I started off right, but so far every time I've tried it ends up looking like a blob that a 5 yr old drew with a crayon grin

Looking forward to seeing some of your other stuff smiley

Criminally Insane
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 05:36:34 AM »

ohhhhh, i started years ago, as 1 of my uncles [ now deceased  Sad ] was 1 of the tattooists for the Hells Angels MC in London, he learned me to sketch and draw when i was a kid when he visited, my work is mostly pencil sketch with shading, as i feel i have more freedom to draw 1st on paper than on a comp, then use PS and a graphic tablet nowadays if i do such imagez from paper 1st,............ thats what got me started, my Uncle, as he was great doing fantasy artwork.

The progression i made with PS is playing about and self taught really,[ like with other things, flash, html, etc ] i do read up on some tutes but i get lazy and then cant be arsed to read the end of most of them, as i really prefer to know myself how the options i have all work together, but if i dont do a certain thing for a while, example using PS, then i`m stumped, a mental block till it flows back to me and off i go again like i hadn`t forgotten at all, i have to be in the mood nowadays or it ends up me being a zombie staring at the monitor.

LoLza
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx