gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55894 Posts in 6182 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 February 23, 2020, 01:36:34 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Would you like to have a hidden section of forum devoted to novel writing?  (Voting closed: April 27, 2006, 07:28:32 PM)
Yes, I would use it. - 4 (100%)
No, I'm not interested. - 0 (0%)
Don't bother - put chapters into the existing crit group instead. - 0 (0%)
I have another suggestion - I'll post it below. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody intersted in a novel support group?  (Read 10878 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: April 20, 2006, 07:28:32 PM »

Deadwrtr has a novel in progress and is looking for feedback.  There isn't currently a place on the forum where novel chapters (apart from 1st chapters) can be posted for feeback out of reach of the search engines and away from the eyes of guests.

I know several of us got involved with Deb's NAY project, but I'm not sure if that's still running and how many of you are still involved if it is.

So, how many of you would find a private section for novels useful?  If there are at least four of you then I'll make a new section. 

Any alternate suggestions are also welcome, as always smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
doolols
Coroner

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 02:46:41 PM »

WOW! 100% in favour! (yes, I know it's only me that's voted so far, but still ...)

... with certain reservations / suggestions.
1) First chapters are good (or even first paragraphs), because you can get feedback on that vital story opening. And then, yes, the whole of the first 1 - 3 chapters, because this is what editors and agents request and, if you're lucky, read. If someone likes the story, they can request other chapters as and when they're written.
2) Space for other stuff, such as new novel competitions and publishing markets.
3) General novel writing discussion thread
4) How are you doing with your novel? Just a chance for us to encourage each other during the dark hours and days.

And yes, I'm still in NAY. 21,000 words so far, and going quite well, although I need to produce some words. As far as I know, the competition is still on.

Good idea, Blunt  afro

My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »

Well, Gerald, if enthusiasm counted over numbers, you would already have that group, for sure afro

I think we can safely count deadwrtr as #2, so we just need two more peeps to make it worthwhile.  A load more wouldn't go amiss, either grin

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
doolols
Coroner

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 06:18:43 PM »

Give 'em time, Ed, give 'em time  rolleyes

SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 11:13:54 PM »

Geez, can I play, too?  tongue Methinks I have a Novel in Progressssss....

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 04:56:55 AM »

That's three - any more? huh

Dan
Mortician

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 05:03:34 AM »

Yeah sign me up.  afro

www.HellInside.com - welcome to Hell!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 05:28:30 AM »

Consider it done afro

Now, how do you want it?

1)  Membergroup ('Novelist' membergroup) only access, Critter group only access, any Doom member access?

2)  Has anybody got any other suggestions for sections in addition to Gerald's?

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 05:46:29 PM »

I am still considering it. A month ago I would have shouted YAY, but then I joined Orbiters, which is a SF writers group within the membership of the BSFA. But, as I imagine with this CD group, it is too slow for me. My problem is that I am a full-time writer and so write around 20k words a week - in a kinda dynamic equilibrium: I see my words quivering when I approach 'cos they know my lacerating lance is ready. My WIP is the second book of my Left Luggage SF trilogy and is 104, 000 words in on its second draft. It would be useful to have another pair of eyes go through it but too quickly for you busy folk to take on. I usually pay a professional editor to do this, but I am going to bully my agent to use one of his to do it this time -- I might still have to pay but not as much. Also, the trilogy is on the verge of being sold. If so, the publisher's own editors will probably want the whole lot revising, so I would have wasted your time too.

So, to cut a short story longer, I would be delighted to join the novel group at CD when I throw myself into the next one - maybe in a few weeks, cos I am not writing the third & fourth book of the trilogy (thanks Douglas Adams  bleh) until I see money in the bank to write it.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 02:59:24 PM »

Consider it done afro

Now, how do you want it?

1)  Membergroup ('Novelist' membergroup) only access, Critter group only access, any Doom member access?

2)  Has anybody got any other suggestions for sections in addition to Gerald's?

Ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself? huh grin

Geoff - see you in a few weeks afro

Walker
Coroner

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 03:20:35 PM »

It's a great idea and I imagine quite a few will benefit from it, unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I find zero feedback to be the only way I can get anything accomplished. When I get crits on a story I'm constantly making adjustments and editing as I go, and those are things I really want to get away from.
With NAY, I'm finding the silence to be a good thing-- so far. No news is good news.
What I'm wondering is whether or not I'll be able to have access to the group just to offer encouragement to others, or is that not kosher? Either way, it's still a great idea.
Geoff, I didn't know you wrote full time-- that's pretty cool. Great to hear you sold the trilogy. Well done there, man.

"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.
i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 03:38:30 PM »

It seems like it would be a more successful endeavor if anyone in the crit shop could hack at it.  My novel-train gets derailed by short stories constantly, so it's not exactly something I'd use for myself, but I don't mind helping others when I can.

Besides, it'll make me feel like less of a prick when I drop an 8K word bomb in the short story one if fuckers are slappin down novels behind me, 

Tune up all your rusty strings, let every Christian sing - I wanna dance when I go to meet my king.
doolols
Coroner

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 07:31:28 PM »

I wonder if some here have the wrong idea. I think that there's no point in a member posting chapter after chapter, and people saying "point of view", "show not tell", etc etc etc. Novels are long works, and no one wants to read thirty-five chapters of crap. What do you say? That 120,000 words you've spent eighteen months writing is a heap of bats dung?

Looking at another writing group that features an active novel writing forum, I see threads entitled: MANUSCRIPT FORMATTING, WHAT IS A BOOK PACKAGER?, SELF PUBLISHING, TYPOS ALLOWED IN NOVELS, REVISION PROCESS, CONTEST QUESTION, WRITING SIMPLY, QUOTING SONG LYRICS, REAL PLACES USED IN NOVELS, etc etc etc etc.

So, for me, a novel support group isn't a novel crit group. I won't crit anyone else's novel - I haven't the time. I will crit opening paragraphs, I will crit opening chapters, and I will discuss any number of novel-related quesitons and issues. So, I think, a novel support group is almost essential for anyone attempting to write a novel, especially a writer new to writing novel-length works.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 02:55:55 AM »

OK, in the absence of any indication to the contrary, the idea of having 'crit group' members access to the new section seems to be the best option.  It will make life easier for me, too.

I'll get on with it tonight afro

i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 11:09:24 AM »

"So, for me, a novel support group isn't a novel crit group. I won't crit anyone else's novel - I haven't the time. I will crit opening paragraphs, I will crit opening chapters, and I will discuss any number of novel-related quesitons and issues. So, I think, a novel support group is almost essential for anyone attempting to write a novel, especially a writer new to writing novel-length works."

I understand your point, but a crit group I believe *was* the initial offer, as might be surmised by the original opener below. 

"Deadwrtr has a novel in progress and is looking for feedback.  There isn't currently a place on the forum where novel chapters (apart from 1st chapters) can be posted for feeback out of reach of the search engines and away from the eyes of guests"

And you probably *will* see "point of view" or "show not tell" because these are common mistakes.  There's no fashion to critiquing, and it's not trite to point out those errors.  It's easy to overlook them in the flash of inspiration.  That's the point of critiquing.

"I think that there's no point in a member posting chapter after chapter, and people saying "point of view", "show not tell", etc etc etc."

I was correcting misspelled words back before it got all cool,
Elliott

Tune up all your rusty strings, let every Christian sing - I wanna dance when I go to meet my king.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx