gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55964 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 October 24, 2021, 02:56:23 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  HELP!  |  General help  |  Blog-based website
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Blog-based website  (Read 5510 times)

Offline GrinReaper

• Mortician
Blog-based website
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:00:45 PM »
At Conjure, Cory Doctorow advised (in the panel discussion on publicity) setting up a blog-based website, because that makes it easier to update. (I guess because you're using software that's on the web so you can update it from any pc, rather than needed to have access to Dreamweaver etc).

I know how to set up a blog, but does anyone know how you set it up so you've got different pages -- ie, a page for news, a page for publishing credits, etc? -- other than actually creating three different blogs and linking between them (because this seems quite clumsy).

This is Cory Doctorow's site - http://www.craphound.com

This is my site - http://garykemble.topcities.com
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 09:11:15 PM by GrinReaper »

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
Re: Blog-based website
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 02:59:16 AM »
This is what I planned to do with Doom - set the website part of it up on blogging software.  I installed Wordpress, but didn't get very far with it, and that was mainly because of the issues you raise of trying to make it spit out different content pages.  Personally, I didn't find it very intuitive, and found the support on their forum was practically non-existent.

When I finally sussed it out on my own, I wondered how anybody ever managed to install it and use it without having a degree in computer science.  Basically, what it boils down to is that you need a different template for each type of page you want to create.  You would only really need one or two of these standard pages, but unless you're using somebody else's theme, you'll need an understanding of xtml, PHP and CSS, otherwise you won't stand a chance.

That said, I expect you would be happy to use a standard theme for your blog.  The rest of the page creation process carries on in the content management screen, where you have to write each page in a kind of WYSIWYG interface, only you can't 'see' what you're going to get.  I thought it was shit.

The short answer is - if you want a blog, get one of the popular ones like Blogger or CoffeeCup - I think I'm right in saying they're the market leaders.  I haven't had any experience of either, but I know CoffeeCup supply a WYSISYG for your comp that you can create and upload pages with.

If all you're looking for is a content management system then I'd forget blogs and go with a content management system ;)  Mambo and Joomla! are popular, and there are literally thousands of free templates around for them.  In all cases you'll need hosting that gives you at least one MySql database and lets you use PHP - most free hosts don't.

Hope that's of some use to you, Gary :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline doolols

• Coroner
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 02:22:08 PM »
Cory's site is 'powered' by Movable Type. This seems to be one of the more professional systems. Other than that, blogs and multiple page websites don't really seem to mix. What I've done previously is to use Blogger, but then publish it to a page on my website (easy to do with Blogger). It might be possible to use the template from Blogger to be the template for your website.
My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 03:50:49 PM »
Funny - Movable Type is getting caned on this website I was looking at last night - http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/2/2/171117/8823

It was a Movable Type blog crashing that caused some of the instabilities on our prevous server, according to our tech support peeps at ASO.  Any kind of blog seems to suffer from pagerank spamming by the same lowlifes who send out all the junkmail, too.  With the Wordpress blog that I half set up, I've had to delete several spamming posts for prescription meds, which was mildly annoying.

TBH, I don't see a lot of difference between using a blog and using a WYSIWYG prog, from the point of view of ease of use.  If they were more like the portal I've just installed on this forum, I would have used one - with this thing making a web page is just like composing a forum post.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline GrinReaper

• Mortician
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:10:28 PM »
I guess what I want to be able to do is have a news page and credits page that I can update from other PCs. The scenario I find myself in is that I might have five minutes at work where I could quickly update my site, but can't do it because I need to do it from home because I can't set up personal ftp at work. Whereas if it's blogger or something, I can just log in. But maybe I should try, as doodols suggests, just getting blogger to post to my site. If my free site will let me do that.

Cafe Doom  |  HELP!  |  General help  |  Blog-based website

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.117 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx