gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55895 Posts in 6182 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 February 27, 2020, 01:59:17 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: More about high profile plagiarism  (Read 4521 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: May 06, 2006, 06:41:39 AM »

Fingers in the word-till

Plagiarism is more than karaoke prose - it's the curse of desperate authors and greedy publishers

Mark Lawson
Friday May 5, 2006
The Guardian

Kaavya Viswanathan's novel has been withdrawn from bookstores after the discovery that it incorporated work by other writers. Photo: AP

The best image of plagiarism I can think of is that of someone being caught with their fingers in the word-till. Unfortunately, it wasn't me who thought of it, but Martin Amis.
Is it possible, though, that having read and admired that metaphor many years ago, I might somehow bury it in my sub-conscious so that it jumps out one day as my own fresh phrase? And, even as I wrote that scrupulously attributed opening paragraph, a fear lurked that this thieving-from-Amis conceit had been used in a previous column on plagiarism. But was it by me or by DJ Taylor?

Read more - http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1767928,00.html

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 01:39:07 PM »

Amen, Mark Lawson!  afro

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Dan
Mortician

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 01:56:45 PM »

I don't think it's so cut and dry.

Copying or stealing someone's ideas - fair dues. But what about using a clever similie or metaphor you've read in the past and may not even remember from where? Cliche's are fair game, so surely any turn of phrase is...?

What about characters - you get stock characters just because they're so widely used

But girl in the article - photographic memory my arse! Photocopier more like  grin

www.HellInside.com - welcome to Hell!
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 07:31:30 PM »

Difficult ground, for sure.  I wonder if she'll have to give back the half million dollar advance? scratch

One thing's for sure - I doubt she'll be getting another... ever.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
doolols
Coroner

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 02:10:49 PM »

Having seen some of the extracts, sections were copied almost word-for-word. How stupid is that?

My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 06:58:59 AM »

Publisher Cancels Book Deal Over Plagiarism 

Harvard University student Kaavya Viswanathan's Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild and Got a Life has been permanently withdrawn and her two-book deal with Little, Brown and Company, an imprint of Time Warner, has been canceled. The publisher announced the decision after Crown, a division of Random House, rejected the 19-year-old author's apology for borrowing from Megan McCafferty's Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings.

The Harvard Crimson also reports that Viswanathan borrowed portions of Meg Cabot's The Princess Diaries and The New York Times has reported borrowed passages also came from Sophie Kinsella's Can You Keep a Secret. The Record in Bergen County, New Jersey, plans on reviewing the articles Viswanathan wrote for the daily paper in 2003 and 2004.
May 03 2006

http://fictionaddiction.net/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1146615190&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx