News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Tres cool...

Started by Ed, May 07, 2006, 06:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I can't say too much about it yet, because I'm still hammering out the details, but :dance: something very cool is in the works for Cafedoom members - very - very - very - seriously cool.  You are going to love it - I guarantee.

Stay tuned for details over the coming week :azn:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

doolols

You're just a big tease ....  :bleh:
My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)

Ed

Couldn't help it - it's too cool to keep quiet about :azn:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Walker

Wow...that really piqued my interest. I'm a big fan of seriously cool things, Blunt.
Can't wait to find out what the fuss is about.
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

Ed

:scratch:  Well, I think it's seriously cool, but now I'm a bit worried that I might be building it up too much. :grin:

doolols

So maybe you should just tell us what it is then  :cheers:

Ed

Ed

Right - this is what I've got so far, and the finer details have yet to be ironed out.  I was thinking about Doom's next comp - thinking we were about due another, and I wanted to make this one a bit different, so I thought about it and came up with the idea that we have a comp where the prize is to get your story published in a real, live, perfect bound book. :afro:

To this end, I've been talking to Mark Matlock, and it looks like Cafedoom will be teaming up with Grafika to produce a book.  There will be six places.  First place winner gets their story illustrated by Grafika artists on the cover of the book, 2nd, 3rd place winners get the next two slots in the book (with illustrations) and three honourable mentions will also get places further back in the book, complete with illustrations.  Prizes will also include copies of the book and possibly cash or book tokens on top for some of the places.

I've still got a fair bit of stuff to work out yet, but that gives you a fairly good idea of where we're going with it.

So what do you think?  Any good?  Cool, or no? :huh:

doolols

It sounds trés cool, Ed. A real, proper book, eh? Great stuff.

So, is this book going to consist of just six stories? Or will there be other stuff?

Nice prize  :afro:

Ed

Yep - that's the plan.  Six stories, several illustrations, but I was thinking of setting the word limit long and going for upwards of 3,500, which would give us approx 72 pages.  It should give the winning authors really excellent exposure - I wish I was included.

The Doom anthology is definitely on for later in the year, too, if we can get enough material together for it. :afro:

doolols

That sounds very good to me, Ed. Well done  :afro:

Walker

Holy cow, that sounds excellent!
That really would be great exposure.
The word limit sounds generous enough, too. Is there a certain theme you had in mind, or just all around death and destruction?

Quote from: blunt on May 08, 2006, 06:46:18 PM
I wish I was included.

Why can't you be included, Blunt? If everyone voted on the stories without the authors name attached, then you'd have no advantage over anyone else.
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

doolols

Quote from: Walker on May 08, 2006, 06:57:21 PM
Why can't you be included, Blunt? If everyone voted on the stories without the authors name attached, then you'd have no advantage over anyone else.
True, although I think competitions work best when a judge chooses the winners, rather than a reader vote.

Ed

I'm glad you like the sound of it, and I really think it will be an excellent book.  I'll see if I can push a couple of online horror book stores to carry a few copies, too.  As for me - I said at the very beginning that I would never enter any of Cafedoom's competitions - I don't think it's right, and it's just asking for trouble.  I'll hold out for the anthology and see if I can't wheedle one of my stories into that :afro:

I haven't decided upon a theme yet, and there are quite a few other details to sort out, but I'll let you know what's what faily soon.  As always, if you've got any suggestions shout them out :smiley:

Dan

Yep, you weren't wrong, that's very cool...
www.HellInside.com - welcome to Hell!

GrinReaper

It sounds fantastic, blunt. I hope I'll have something to submit.