gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55884 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 25, 2020, 01:13:05 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Publishing on the web  (Read 4927 times)
Troglodyte
A bit of Northern rough
Coffin Maker

Trog's having to eat his words

« on: November 30, 2004, 06:04:01 PM »

Greetings all.

A quick enquiry re: publishing on the World Wide Web. When is something considered published when it appears out here in the ether of the web? Is material posted on forums/sites like this considered to have been published? I'm asking because I want to post a short story that has only recently been published (though it's over a year old) in print, but am not sure of the legal consequences/ramifications of doing this scratch

Writing, when properly managed, (as you may be sure I think mine is) is but a different name for conversation.

Laurence Sterne (1713-1768)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 06:19:43 PM »

It's a bit of a grey area, and different people have different views on it, but from what I've read on the topic of publishing on the internet, there seems to be a line drawn between pure 'display' (like on a web page) and when it's posted on a forum for the purpose of C&C.  The difference being, I assume, one is for the purpose of developing your work and the other is purely for entertainment of the masses. 

That's why I've made the title game section closed to guests - one of our members requested that I do it, so that any future publishing ambitions for their stories posted there wouldn't be put in jeopardy. smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Troglodyte
A bit of Northern rough
Coffin Maker

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 06:31:18 PM »

That's why I've made the title game section closed to guests - one of our members requested that I do it, so that any future publishing ambitions for their stories posted there wouldn't be put in jeopardy.

Fair enough, and I think a good idea, but how about my case in point: am I going to be breaking copyright rules by posting a recently published story; does the publisher hold the rights for a set period after print publication before they revert back to me, or do I hold them all the time?

Writing, when properly managed, (as you may be sure I think mine is) is but a different name for conversation.

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 07:09:41 PM »

It depends on the wording of the contract you signed, I suppose, but there seems to be more concern over 'first publishing rights'. 

I would say that if you're posting it in the C&C section, inviting comments to potentially help develop your work, it would be different than if I was to put it up for display on the front website.  But I don't know for certain what publishing rights you're signed over to the publishers of your story - it might be that all rights revert to you after 12 months.  There are different rights assigned for different mediums too - film and TV rights, audiobook, and Ebook rights, allsorts.  In any case, I would think that posting it in the C&C section would be OK, but if you want I can close it to guests, if it would put your mind at rest smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
GrinReaper
Mortician

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 09:40:45 PM »

I would say it's fine to republish the story, but if you want you could check with the magazine. Generally, it's no problem - as a courtesy it's good to put 'First published in Issue 34 of Dark Tales' or whatever at the end of the story.

In one case, I was told it was okay to republish after just one month. (Shadowed Realms) But other mags like six months.

I would check with the mag -- provided they get a mention I doubt they'll mind, because it's extra publicity for them.
Troglodyte
A bit of Northern rough
Coffin Maker

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 03:42:01 AM »

It depends on the wording of the contract you signed, I suppose, but there seems to be more concern over 'first publishing rights'. 

I should be so lucky Sad It's a small press magazine paying only a contributor's copy and exposure to a wider(ish) audience.

I guess Grin's got the right idea, post the piece with a note of where it first appeared, with a link to the website for those interested.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 07:06:30 PM by Troglodyte » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx