News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Writer's Database

Started by GrinReaper, June 20, 2006, 08:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinReaper

When I was sending out lots of stories I used a program called Writers Database to keep track of which stories I'd sent out, where I'd sent them, etc.

Then I got out of the habit, swapped computers and so lost the program.

I'm now getting back into sending stories out. Writers Database was fine, but I'm just wondering if, in the years since, anyone has found anything better?

sharon

Hey Grin,
Don't know how much help it is but I use Sonar, it's free on Spacejock.com.  It's easy to use and helps keep me organized.  I also use a notebook because I've lost a few programs and files, too.

Shay

Ed

Yep - you don't need anything fancy.  Sonar is supposed to be a good one (I don't use anything - don't often sub).  Here's a link to Spacejock - http://www.spacejock.com/ if you want to try any of the free progs :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

SharonBell

I use Excel. It does require you to update, at any rate. Keeping the habit is important. I've tracked my subs (am a bit behind) and came up with a 34% acceptance rate, so about 1/3 of my subs are getting published. Mind you, that's all media, not just print. And I don't include my book(s) in that spreadsheet. That would be too damn depressing!  :D
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Geoff_N

I use Excel too. You can make the story titles links to the story on your hd, keep a running word count, colour code for fiction / non-fiction / type / genre, and you could link the time function with an actuator to make you a cup of tea!

Geoff

Ed

I keep meaning to get to grips with Excel, but I never seem to get around to it.  Maybe one day - manana, etc.  It'd probably help if I got a few lessons on it at a college sometime - I get the impression it's quite simple to use once you know a few of the basics.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Dan

Excel for me too i'm afraid
I've a vast grid with too many goddam rejections filled in brassy red for my liking  ;)
www.HellInside.com - welcome to Hell!

GrinReaper

Thanks guys. I'll check out Sonar ... althought I have to say the idea of getting Excel to make me a cup of tea is very intriguing!  ::)

sharon

I really should have a go at Excel but just can't come to terms with it for some reason.  I also use the online sub tracker on duotrope--keeps up with the acceptance ratio and how many mss I've subbed this year and in the current month, which were rejected/accepted/withdrawn.  My 23% acceptance rate is pretty good considering the high number of submissions.  I like the duotrope site for tracking/market listings and such.  I try to keep it updated but sometimes I forget, or get in too big of a hurry  ::)

Ed

23% acceptance rate is pretty damn good, Sharon :huh:  All joking aside, it's probably a bit too good and might be a sign that you should be aiming higher with your subs? :afro:

sharon

:yes:  Thanks, Blunt.  I don't know what the normal ratio is, though.

:scratch:  Heck, I don't know.  I do have a couple out to 'better' markets than my 'usual'. 

Ed

I'm not sure either, but 23% is pretty close to 1 in 4, and I would guess 1 in 8 would be more like the average normal take-up rate.  That's is just a guess though :scratch:

sharon

That makes me feel pretty darn good!  :dance:  Especially considering that most of the local yokels thought I'd never get published even once  :grin: 

Ed

I don't think I've read anything of yours yet, Sharon :scratch:  Must fix that soon :afro:

sharon

:batterup:  You haven't?   >:(

Yah, we'll have to fix that, excuse me now......I have to go  :'(  and re-inflate me ego  :grin: