News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

A Shroppie lad in Canada

Started by canadian, July 02, 2006, 07:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian

Thought I'd share a few pics that were taken during Flirtybee's recent trek across the big pond.

Two writers meet for the first time -- Walker & Flirtybee.

This is a good one for a caption contest ...

The Murney Redoubt was built in 1846 on the shores of Lake Ontario as part of the defences of Kingston. That's just about the oldest structure I could show off in this province!
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Geoff_N

Thanks for sharing the pics with us, Donna. Doug looks cool, and so does the Lion, and Walker!

Geoff

SharonBell

Great pics! Everyone looks relaxed and happy!  :dance: :dance:
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Ed

Great pics :afro:  Nice to put some more faces to names.  Thanks, Donna :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Walker

That was a blast, Donna. The food and service at that Thai place is the best!
It was really great meeting Flirty, and it was great to see you again too. Melinda told me to be sure to say Hi to you and Flirty next time I spoke with ya, so "Hi", from my better half and I.
Is it just me, or does that picture make me look a little fat? Maybe it's from quitting smoking, but I've sure packed on a few pounds since last summer. Yesterday I went swimming for the first time this year, but GreenPeace showed up and kept trying to roll me back into the pool. "Don't worry fella, we'll save you!" they kept saying. They seemed really concerned, so I just let them do it and climbed back out when they finally left.
;)
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

canadian

I thought it was only us women who worried about stuff like that, Walker!

No, you aren't fat. Yeah, you're a little less trim than when we met for the first time last October but, hey, so am I! It's all that good living we're doing. Quitting smoking was a GOOD thing. Keep reminding yourself of that.

The Thai food was wonderful. Even more wonderful was getting to see you & Flirty finally meet, being introduced to Melinda and instantly liking her (a lot!) and having such a great afternoon on the Bay.

Hope all's well up in your neck of the woods. Hey! Did Melinda get stuck in that carbeque on the 400 highway a few weeks ago? That looked real nasty.

If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Ed

Here's me thinking I'd better drop a few pounds myself (also blaming it on not smoking) and suddenly realise I'm eating a chocolate biscuit - a Fox's Classic, actually. 

crumbly honeycomb biscuit covered in real milk chocolate

Mmm - yum.  Had two for my pud last night, too :azn:

I've never had to worry about my weight before, so it's coming as a bit of a lifestyle adjustment.  I think the problem lies with needing a reward all the time.  The reward used to be a nicotine rush, but now I'm subconsciously searching for a replacement and it appears to be chocolate.  Better get down the gym, I suppose :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Walker

Donna, that mess on the 400 tied up many hundreds of cars, if not into the thousands (3 lanes wide- packed right in- for 12 Km). Fortunately for Melinda, she missed it. Unfortunately for me, I didn't. I was stuck about 2Km from the back of the jam and we crawled along for the next 10km to get out of it. I was in that mess for over 3 1/2 hours before I finally got out, and still had another 45 minutes driving to get to work. I went home after I got out of the traffic and called my boss. He just laughed at me and told me to stay home that day, which I did. It was a good day for golf. The transport driver who spilled that load was charged with careless driving, too. That's a serious charge-- I'd hate to have to pay his insurance!

Blunt, I hear you about getting to the gym. I've been working on my weight a little harder lately and it seems to be getting back closer to normal. I'm a fairly big guy to begin with (6'1" and 200lb) so I can hide a few more pounds if I need to, but I sure do feel it in this heat. I'd like to lose another 10 and then I'll be happy. I never thought I'd ever worry about my weight because I never had to before, but now it's kind of bugging me. The wife doesn't say anything, and even insists she doesn't care, but I imagine she'd be happier with me if I lost a bit-- even just for the added health benefits.

Nest up is Shay. She should be getting the Allan Carr book any day now and we can all cheer her on when she gives it a shot.   :cool:
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

Ed

I'm a fairly big lad, too - usually 202lbs and have been for years (6ft tall) but I've hit 220lbs now.  I reckon it'll probably sort itself out now that I'm feeling more normal and not thinking about smoking all the time.  My problem was that I was eating tons of pistachio, peanuts and cashew nuts, trying to fill the void that smoking left.  What I should have done is what Allen Carr suggests, and that's to just wait a few seconds and not try to fill the void - recognise it as part of the addiction. 

It's not good for you to eat so many nuts.  Apart from making me fat, they made my skin greasy and spotty.  Won't be doing that again :afro:

Good luck with giving up, Shay - and don't forget to carry on smoking until you've read the whole book - you're allowed to, and it helps you concentrate.  Believe me when I say, if I can stop smoking - absolutely anybody can.  Nobody around me can believe I've done it.  One of my friends actually said he thought I was the most addicted person on the planet :grin:

sharon

Bloody hell!  Why couldn't I be closer to 6'?  I'll not be able to hide another ten pounds!  The last ten I hid are still hangin on me arse.  At 5'7" there ain't much room to hide anything dammitall!  Ah, I'm still gonna quit smokin even if I get big around as I am tall.  Is beef jerky fattening?  The really tough kind?  If I need a replacement I'll make it that if it ain't too fatty.  Or maybe some nice birch bark, used to gnaw on that as a kid...could try getting addicted to green beans, maybe play a taped message while I sleep, "Green beans are full of the nicotine you crave, you love green beans..."  I'm gonna grow shark teeth and goat horns ain't I?  I'll be terrible and after me latest attempt I'm right scared of tryin again.  I just grabbed a cig thinkin about it and didn't even realize what I'd done, crikey, this is gonna be so hard.  If ye come in and find me lyin on the floor in a fetal position, cryin, just give me a kick.  I can't wait to get the Carr book.  Walker, I owe you big for the book.  Anything I can help you with just let me know!  Blunt, yer success is a real boost for me, too.  Like you went through, no one here thinks I'm capable of quitting.

Hell, even Ozzy quit, surely I can.  His method was to lock himself in a room with a full pack and play a little battle of the wills.  He was more stubborn than the screaming maniac inside who wanted the smokes I guess.

You guys are great.  Just hope I can do this, I've a feeling I'll have to get pissed at meself to get it done, though.

And the pics are great, I like having faces to go with names.

Shay

Walker

Quote from: sharon on July 06, 2006, 03:51:26 AM
I can't wait to get the Carr book.  Walker, I owe you big for the book.  Anything I can help you with just let me know! 

You don't owe me anything, Shay, but you do owe yourself the good health of a non-smoker. You can do this, we're all rootin' for ya!
:dance:
Peter Gabriel.

Dan

I echo the Allan Carr sentiment - never looked back.
The only people i know who didn't quit after reading it were the ones who put it down before the end because they were too scared to finish it.
Good luck
www.HellInside.com - welcome to Hell!

Ed

Quote from: sharon on July 06, 2006, 03:51:26 AM
I'll be terrible and after me latest attempt I'm right scared of tryin again.  I just grabbed a cig thinkin about it and didn't even realize what I'd done, crikey, this is gonna be so hard.

Don't worry about anything - don't even think about quitting.  Just steadily read through the book and, if you're anything like me, you'll be straining at the leash, wanting to stop before you've finished the book.  I chose the most stressful time possible to stop - loads of shit to contend with at the time, but I decided that there is no 'good time' to stop - no time when everything is going well and nothing can get you down.  Not in my life anyway.  And if I could stop at the most stressful time, it proves to me that I don't need the damn things to get me through stress.

I'm not going to say that it'll be easy, but I guarantee it'll be easier than any other attempt that's ever gone before, because the book gets you into the mindset you need to be in to succeed.  I wasn't even grumpy.  My wife and kids commented that I was actually more happy and less bad tempered than normal.  The time before that I tried to quit, I was a split second away from killing anything and anyone I came into contact with - I was like a human bomb walking around, just looking for an excuse to explode.  :hot:

Walker

Quote from: blunt on July 06, 2006, 05:03:10 PM
if you're anything like me, you'll be straining at the leash, wanting to stop before you've finished the book. 
Yep,  me too.

QuoteI'm not going to say that it'll be easy, but I guarantee it'll be easier than any other attempt that's ever gone before, because the book gets you into the mindset you need to be in to succeed. 

I couldn't have said it better, Ed. I was mad as hell and actually quit smoking about 2 days before I was done the book  :pissed:
I was reading a little a day so I  could stretch it out and smoke for longer. Someone more motivated could read it in a day. 
Peter Gabriel.

Ed

Quote from: Walker on July 06, 2006, 05:48:18 PM

I was reading a little a day so I  could stretch it out and smoke for longer. Someone more motivated could read it in a day. 

Me too - I reckon it took me a couple of weeks to finish it.  I found reasons and excuses not to read it, because I didn't feel ready to stop by my self imposed deadline of 'the end of the book', until I got near the end of the book ::)

So far, I've only met one person who read the book (and attended the courses) and didn't quit - but she struck me as the type who has trouble chewing gum, keeping a heartbeat going and breathing at the same time, if you get my drift :afro: