News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Stock pics

Started by Ashen Decay, December 08, 2004, 01:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashen Decay

Ok, probably been asked at various places and many times but I have to ask...

Where do you guys get your stock images from.

I know about DeviantArt and StockXchange but are there any more you use?

Preferrably royalty free with no usage restrictions.

Thanks in advance
-----------------------------------------------
Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away

Neuromancer

http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q=

heh heh

Its fun to just pop in words and see what ya get.

Yes I am a writer, but my critics call me a typist.--Salem's Lot

Ed

Here's a couple, but they're not very good -

http://www.freefoto.com/index.jsp

http://www.amgmedia.com/freephotos/tabletop.html

Usually I just google for images to use, but I'm beginning to realise that's a bit naughty :hidin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ashen Decay

I was gonna say, Goooooooooogling is bad, you don't neccessarily have the permission to use the images you find on there, though I used to do it myself, hehe

I'll check those out, cheers

Ed

Quote from: Ashen Decay on December 08, 2004, 05:46:03 AM
I was gonna say, Goooooooooogling is bad, you don't neccessarily have the permission to use the images you find on there, though I used to do it myself, hehe

I'll check those out, cheers

No probs :)  I think they've both got like an affiliates page/links, whatever, so you might find something else there - I'm pretty sure one of those addies came from looking at the links page on other site :scratch:

Copyright issues are a bit of a pain, but I remember reading something about pics being regarded as 'in the public domain' once they had been spread around and widely seen for a while.  The upshot being that you can use them without repercussions if you can't find out who made them anymore.  Something like that anyway. ::)

Parody is exempt in any case.  The RIAA found that out to their expense a while back, if memory serves.

I can understand when people get upset if somebody steals their work without giving them credit though, especially if it took a lot of time and effort to make.  Snapshots are a bit different, I think, if it's something like a quick snap of a family pet or something.  I also think it makes a difference whether or not somebody is profiting from their use of an image.  If it's just for fun then I think credit should still be given to the source, if possible, and a bit more leeway seems fair. :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ashen Decay

You really can't be too careful with things like this, and I hate it.
Obviously there is good reason for copyright laws but I find it very VERY restricting as an artist.
And it pisses me off when people get all uppity about you using "their" image, like they need a models ego boost or something.
But in a venture to become professional in your work you must follow all of these hinderences.
I personally prefer images where the owner hasn't asked for credit or restricted, and I'd let them know if I used their image for something if I remembered where I got it, but that's just it, I have a folder of stock images and I don't know where they all came from, or if I am allowed to use them etc.
The laws really do need to be reviewed though, especially as you said, with them being published on the internet, it just throws it out there for people to view, tempting you and luring you in.
The thing that really annoys me is DA though, I mean you work hard on a piece using an image from a dedicated STOCK account and then they want you to line up the little icons to show you used their pics for it or 4,000,000 people will spam your account telling you how bad you are for not crediting. :(

Ed

Yeah, it's a minefield alright, but half the time I just think fuck it - most reasonable people wouldn't care.  There are a lot of people out there that can be a bit too precious about all of it.  I've got a load of images from all over the place on my HD, I've got no idea where most of them came from - I'll use them with a clear conscience, and if somebody kicks up, wanting credit for one of them I'll give it, if they can prove it was theirs in the first place.

There are a few I would really like to give credit for, because they're so good.  The pic of that puppy on the 'about us' page of CafeDoom is one of them - I love it and think whoever made it is a genius :)

Ed

Just found another useful looking free stock images site - http://gallery.hd.org

sepia

It depends on what type of photo you want. I have a whole folder full of stock sites, plus, I wander around taking tons of pics at random. some are pretty odd because on of my did's takes nightvision photos.I also as a jack of all trades take pics for friends to give their sig others that one can't get by with at the local Sear Photo or even Glamour Shots. I have permissin from all to use their photos, but one of us has to see it first, none want you inserting them ijnto an orgy or anything. Well, most don't.
I also have disks and books full of stock. And, if anyone needs vecrtor graphics to take apart--kind of like Win-Office clipart, I have disks full of that I've bought. That is so simple & can be done in a tut if you like.

One of the best things I have gathered are my typefaces/fonts and PS/Illustrator/PSP Brushes. Also, I've got many backgrounds and textures.

Is anyone interested in some of my adware free open source free art programs--everything from photo, to vector, to 3D. Also, a very difficult fractal program--I had no idea it was all based on math. All these progs have tutorials on the net.
Not sure how anyone here feels about p2p, I can ship off some of my progs to you. Qnd, I have a number of e-books on different progs.

I can also write a tutorial on how to manipulate you text into its own unique font if you like. But, you will need a vector program for it.

When ever DevArt is closed down, or just acting impossible, I can usually find stuff as I have had a site their for about a year and have had many  pages views. Most from when I had nudes up--those got pulled when I heard from someone that it had been posted in a series and the woman was claiming it was her. No face showed, but our skin tones are so different it was obvious.

Not all pictures that you get off deviantArt are open for use as stock and they have a very networked set of friends that will report any they see. Most of the best have unique styles that are easily recognizable. If you ask for permission, many will let you use. Remember, intellectual property in the art world is sacred. I don't care if someone uses pics I have and changes them, but I won't tolerate anyone slapping something on their website and claiming it is their work or their body. I have pulled a lot because of that.
"For those of us that believe in physics, this separation between past, present, & future is only an illusion, however tenacious." -- Albert Einstein

Ed

Got a couple of links so that we can see some, Sepia?  I would like a few to play with, to splice bits from one to another on.  Thanks :afro:

(BTW, I haven't got a Dev Art account, so it's not a very useful site to me anymore - the search facility is disabled for non-members now, so I can't find anything ::)

Ed

Found another excellent stock photo site, with another list of free stock sites on its links page :afro:

http://geekphilosopher.com/MainPage/bkgLinksPhotos.htm

sepia

Any particaular area in the stock?
Architectural, people, flowers & landscapes, people, snow, water (Just a stupid lake though00except a bunch of negatives I found from the 70's I took of the WA Coastline, but they have sepia-toned themselves), churches, farmer's markets, tons.
Just give me an idea. If it's brushes for Photoshop, I can just plop them on a page label them and then you cna let me know which one you want. They say they have to be used at a certain size, but all can be slid down. Also, they are not hard to make yourself.
Those are just the ones I have taken. The books ahve way more.
Another iste that is at the top of my head (I'm in msn w/o bookmarks, not Firefox where I ususally am) is
Let me know, I try to check in here everyday and can just upload in groups to one of the online imaging sites.

Here are some links:
http://www.freeimages.co.uk/

http://www.ncwildlife.com/free_images/

http://www.af-design.com/resources/images.php

http://estockphoto.com/
"For those of us that believe in physics, this separation between past, present, & future is only an illusion, however tenacious." -- Albert Einstein

Ed

Thanks, Sepia - I just want a few good quality stocks to manipulate.  I had it in mind to make some decent dark images for the site, which now desperately needs updating and overhauling.  I'd like to do some of those weird animal manips too, where two different animals are joined to look like a new species :afro:

I might be tapping you up for some new brushed tho - all mine are on thre other comp ::)

sepia

Got plenty. Have to find a site that will take zips. Otherwise, install Qnext and give me your user number. I have some great plug-ins also.

Also, in graphic design, we have to put together things fast, and believe it or not, most of the people in there really can't hand draw, so there is much use of parts of pics placed together into a collage type image and then graphite papered onto marker board. As long it is just pieces, I have never seen anyone get in any trouble for that.
This is one I had to collage together and then do a stippling on. Feels like cheating, and toi me it seems just as much work. But some find it much easier. the first piece that ever had anyone tellme I was dark and was I in counseling.........

Ed

Wow, yes - that's pretty dark :afro:

QNext is on my list of things to do on this comp, and when I've got it installed, I'll give you a shout, thanks :smiley: