gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55868 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 March 22, 2019, 07:10:51 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wicked Karnival magazine shutting down  (Read 3112 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: September 25, 2006, 07:16:57 PM »

Well, looks like another small press mag closing down.  After WK #7, there will be no more magazine.  Brian Yount gave his reasons as being the circulation sticking at around 50 per issue and not showing signs of growing, plus the cost of running it. 

Seems a shame, but it is understandable.  I get the feeling things have to evolve or die, and there's no middle ground in the long term.  Apparently they'll still use the WK name for athologies and stuff, so it's not completely dead.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 09:14:22 PM »

Tis hard to keep the little ones alive.  undecided Too bad. Glad to hear they'll still do anthologies.

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Prabe
Coffin Maker

There is no delight the equal of dread.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 09:36:40 PM »

They're also doing another magazine that's more about horror in general with only a few stories per issue.  More interviews and reviews than were in WK.  That's the opposite direction from what I'd want to do as a magazine, but I'm not the one paying the bills.

pleading and needing and breeding and bleeding and feedling exceeding
where is everybody?
trying and lying defying denying crying and dying
where is everybody?

Nine Inch Nails
"Where is Everybody?"
The Fragile
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 03:22:29 AM »

Yes - same here.  They're only going to use three stories per issue and, TBH, I think it's a bit of a gamble.  Although it takes a lot of the cost out of magazine production, I think it's also a lot of the reason people buy magazines at this level - I expect a lot of the subscribers are authors who want to see their own stories in print.

Whichever format they go with, it's a lot of work for very little return, so I wish them the best of luck, because they're clearly in it for the love of the genre, rather than the money.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Prabe
Coffin Maker

There is no delight the equal of dread.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 04:37:51 PM »

I agree that they're clearly not in it just for the money.

It's sad that they're getting away from fiction.  I've never read any  magazine, from APEX to City Slab to Analog to Cemetery Dance, and found myself wishing for more interviews or more reviews; they're cutting back on what I want to read and adding what I tend to ignore my first time through a magazine.

((shrug))  Oh comma well.  As I said before, I'm not the one losing money on putting the magazine together.

pleading and needing and breeding and bleeding and feedling exceeding
where is everybody?
trying and lying defying denying crying and dying
where is everybody?

Nine Inch Nails
"Where is Everybody?"
The Fragile
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx