gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55884 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 28, 2020, 02:57:21 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ed in 2B1  (Read 4620 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: October 15, 2006, 05:38:15 PM »

My parents visited today and brought a load of my old school books with them.  They'd cleared out a cupboard that hadn't seen the light of day for around twenty years, found the books, my old stamp collection and a few other bits and bobs.

I'd always assumed my scribblings were pretty crap, but reading through my English exercise book, I found a few stories I thought were pretty good for a 12 yr old.

Here's one:

The Projectionist's Nightmare
By Ed Dempster (aged 12.5)

This is the projectionist's nightmare:
A bird finds its way into the cinema,
finds the beam, flies down it,
smashes into a screen depicting a garden,
a sunset and two people being nice to each other.
Real blood, real intestines, slither down,
the likeness of a tree.
"This is no good," screams the audience;
"This is not what we came to see." grin

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 07:34:54 PM »

Not bad.

"The child is father of the man." 

I have some of mine too, but they are more cringe-making than yours, Ed.
However, I might drag myself up into the attic and have another look and laugh.

Geoff

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »

Hmm, bugger. Thought it sounded familiar - I was watching a programme tonight about Liverpool from the perspective of Alexei Sayle, and when they were on about the poets from the 1960s somebody read out a poem called The Projectionist's Nightmare. It strangely enough had the exact same words as my little story above, only it was written by somebody called Brian Patten rolleyes

I thought it seemed too good to be something I'd written at that age. I'm hoping it was part of an assignment, rather than being an attempt at plagiarism. I can't imagine that'd be something I would have done, though, even back then.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:57:17 PM »

I gto a bollocking at school once for writing 'All the world could be a stage for we are merely players, performers and portrayers' in a story. My English teacher wrote a stern note that if I was going to steal lines from Shakespeare, the least I could do was get them right. I wrote a note back, saying I DID get the words right, only I was quoting All the World's a Stage by Rush!
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 02:54:43 AM »

I gto a bollocking at school once for writing 'All the world could be a stage for we are merely players, performers and portrayers' in a story. My English teacher wrote a stern note that if I was going to steal lines from Shakespeare, the least I could do was get them right. I wrote a note back, saying I DID get the words right, only I was quoting All the World's a Stage by Rush!

And those were taken from an idea in Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat 900 years ago. Incidentally, I've been reading how Omar may have been the first to think of the solar system as heliocentric, long before Copernicus did. Are all ideas a ripoff?

Geoff - who was an idea, and maybe remains so...

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx