gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55971 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 November 28, 2021, 03:44:55 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Amazonian Orgy
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Amazonian Orgy  (Read 19482 times)

Offline Dan

• Mortician
Re: Amazonian Orgy
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2006, 04:36:06 AM »
Yeah, he really is a beautiful writer. Deceptively understated and simple. My favourite line from reading last night:

"The evening descended on them like old age on a man."

I had to stop and think about that, and not in a bad way when you look up from the page and go  :huh:

Ed - GoW is an excellent book, but it's long and pretty heartbreaking at times. I'd save it for a time when you can really get into it...
www.HellInside.com - welcome to Hell!

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2006, 04:57:40 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Dan - I think I'll take it on holiday with me in January :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 07:16:52 PM »
Well, I've just finished reading Catcher in the Rye.  Funny, but I got the feeling it was building up to a last line that would blow me away and I'd sit here popping, saying 'wow' and feeling sad that I'd finished it and it was over.  But you were right, Dan - squat happened (unless I missed it?).  It just faded out. 

I'm used to reading novels with a plot of some kind, but this was more of a character study, IMO.  Makes me wonder how the hell the book ever got published, let alone regarded as one of the greats.  The fault probably lies with me, though - it probably is great, but I just can't see it :scratch:

Oh well, on to Haunted now.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Amazonian Orgy

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.122 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx