gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55928 Posts in 6183 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 April 05, 2020, 03:41:54 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Origins  (Read 25251 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 01:45:59 PM »

Of course they sleep through! They have earplugs and white noise machines.... cool
We tried that but slept through our own alarms.

I think we have to find a horrible death for the cowjuice drinker.

SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 06:31:57 PM »

Spike his milk.  evil

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 04:09:02 AM »

Spike his milk.  evil

Good plan. I know a student who works at the dairy on whom I hold an embarrassing confidence, and she both hates her boss and is desperate for beefed-up grades Wink

SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 03:59:16 AM »

Mooooovelous!  grin A curdling idea! Cheesy

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 06:27:17 AM »

When I have some spare moments I'll write it up. I believe we had a thread in here on humorous horror.

Maybe the police won't take it so seriously when it actually happens then...

SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 06:53:01 AM »

Oh, yes, good idea!  afro

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 06:24:05 PM »

I was driving along today when I spotted a Toyota MR2 - famously pronounced 'merde' in French - which most people know means 'shit' in English. Anyhoo, that started me thinking the word 'merde' sounds a fair bit like 'mud' if you say it with a French accent. So now I'm wondering if 'merde's the origin of the word 'mud', or vice versa scratch I wonder how one would find out.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 06:41:56 PM »

How about this for the motto of the French Navy:

To the sea, it is the hour.

Or in French,

A l'eau, c'est l'heure.

Go on, say it out loud...
joneastwood
Grave Digger

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 06:50:22 PM »

nice   grin
took me a minute though..
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 06:53:31 AM »

Stumbled across another one a minute ago. I was looking for the antonym for 'paradise' for use in a story I'm currently writing, and it turns out there isn't a direct opposite, other than the rather unimaginative 'hell'.

But...

I ended up learning a couple of things I didn't know before, thanks to dictionary.com:

The history of paradise is an extreme example of amelioration Shocked , the process by which a word comes to refer to something better than what it used to refer to. The old Iranian language Avestan had a noun pairidaēza-, "a wall enclosing a garden or orchard," which is composed of pairi-, "around," and daēza- "wall."

So it turns out that 'paradise' is quite literally 'a walled garden'. And we actually have a word for a word that means something better than what it originally did huh

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 08:58:13 AM »

Stumbled across another one a minute ago. I was looking for the antonym for 'paradise' for use in a story I'm currently writing, and it turns out there isn't a direct opposite, other than the rather unimaginative 'hell'.

Which maybe is where Hull gets it's name from..?

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
JonP
Critter

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 12:25:30 PM »

I'm sure there's a folk song that has the refrain "From Hull and Halifax and Hell, Good Lord deliver me".

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 01:02:30 PM »

Sounds like something Morrissey would write. My personal favourite of his is, "Sweetness, I was only joking when I said by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed." grin

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 02:29:42 PM »

It came from the 17th Century. And its origins are interesting

"The so-called Beggar’s Litany has been explained in the Crowther’s Encyclopaedia of Phrases and Origins, 1945 ed., thus:  “From Hull, Hell, and Halifax good Lord deliver us; and it might well be so, for in Hull in those days was so well governed in vagrancy laws, that beggars had little chance of acquiring sustenance by begging without doing hard labour for it; and anyone caught stealing property to the value of thirteen-pence-halfpenny in Halifax was hanged; Hell of cause, speaks for its self.”  This is a gross error; the thieves so caught at Halifax were not hanged, but were beheaded on a machine called the Halifax Gibbet, a precursor of that evil tool of Revolutionary France, the guillotine. " From YorkshireHistory.com

Geoff

JonP
Critter

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 08:43:54 AM »

Ooh, fascinating. Thanks for that, Geoff. The version I've heard is (I think) from Folk Songs of Olde England, Volume 2, by Tim Hart and Maddy Prior (pre-Steeleye Span).

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx