gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 11:20:08 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are you reading? (apart from this)  (Read 59779 times)
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2010, 07:27:31 PM »

I haven't read any from Child, or Caleeb Carr, though. Or 'The Great God Pan'; I'll have to look at it.

Um, I think that was supposed to be "Caleb Carr," who wrote The Alienist. I read that a long time ago, but remember enjoying it at the time. The term alienist was coined in the 19th Century to refer to what we now call a psychiatrist.
Rook
Critter

« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2010, 07:36:31 PM »

I haven't read any from Child, or Caleeb Carr, though. Or 'The Great God Pan'; I'll have to look at it.

Um, I think that was supposed to be "Caleb Carr," who wrote The Alienist. I read that a long time ago, but remember enjoying it at the time. The term alienist was coined in the 19th Century to refer to what we now call a psychiatrist.

Thanks! Would have caused me some great consternation when I went looking for it...  grin
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:38:18 PM by Rook » Logged

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
JonP
Critter

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2010, 08:08:50 PM »

Speaking of The Big Sleep (which we were a while back), I see it's being re-released in UK cinemas on New Year's Eve. Shame that the BFI got the director's name wrong, though ... (it's Hawks, not Hawk)

jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »

So right you are---sorry about the mishap in the name, wasn't looking I guess.  The Alienist was very good and I have two more of his on the shelf waiting for some time to come up for me to start reading again...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »

King, Dickens, Chandler - some fine choices indeed. Well done everyone!

I'm a huge Stephen King fan. Totally agree that he's not always on the money, but when he is he is right up there with my favourite authors. The early books tend to be the best (IMHO) - imagine starting one's career with Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Stand, Night Shift, and The Shining! You could put your feet up and never write another thing and still be one of the greatest horror writers ever. But instead you go on and produce Different Seasons (which includes King's best ever piece - again IMHO - The Body. This remains one of my all time favourite stories), The Mist, The Dead Zone, The Talisman, The Green Mile, Pet Sematary, and probably a bunch more that I don't recall at the moment. On top of all that his non-fiction is also stunning - Danse Macabre, On Writing, and all the scores of forwards and afterwards in his own and other's book have done more to inspire me to actually put bum on seat and write than anyone else has. Everything King writes is infused with the sheer joy of being a writer. Now clearly anyone who writes the sheer number of novels and stories that King does is going to produce a few that don't reach the heights of all the aforementioned books, but even when writing something like Cell he still knows exactly what to do, exactly where to put his characters, exactly how to produce tension and must-read-on moments.

Derek

I'm with you on King. Every single one of his books is that escape I'm always looking for, and he rarely disappoints. Even his bad books have great aspects.
Grillmeat
Critter

« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »

The Alienist was a great book, as was the follow up to it. Carr is a good writer.

OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2010, 09:46:32 AM »

So right you are---sorry about the mishap in the name, wasn't looking I guess.  The Alienist was very good and I have two more of his on the shelf waiting for some time to come up for me to start reading again...

I wonder if there are any dyslexic people out there who sometimes write his name as "Cable Carr"...   scratch
jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »

I wonder if there are any dyslexic people out there who sometimes write his name as "Cable Carr"...   scratch

hahaha---wonder 'bout other names that could be messed up:
HP Lovecrap
Stiffin King
William  Peter Batty
 Cheesy

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
Caz
Critter

« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »

HP Lovecrap

That's often what I thought he must do.

I'll have to check out this Caleb Carr guy, sounds interesting. afro
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:31:41 PM by Caz » Logged

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2010, 02:36:47 PM »

A really good friend of mine bought me How To Drive A Tank... by Frank Coles for Christmas.  It's part self-help book, part instruction manual, as it details how to do the aforementioned tank-driving, to how best to handle your finances, and even how to dispose of a dead body.  I don't know where my friend got it from because I'm certain the legality of some chapters is questionable (how to fake your death, for instance) but it's all done seriously (in that these are facts, not someone saying how they'd do it) with some humour (like the reason you might need to get hold of a gun within 24 hours, for instance).  A very interesting book.

I also got Tales Designed To Thrizzle issues 5 and 6 off my folks.  They're by Michael Kupperman, and they're comics, but very very goofy and very very funny, with a 50's art style mixed with daft versions of superheroes, horror stories, and all sorts.

I've also recently started to find out about some really cool looking art books featuring abandoned/neglected parts of America, that I quite fancy collecting (although one, Winogrand: 1964, is going for around $250!!!).

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »

The only book I had for Crimbo was Derren Brown's latest. Can't wait to read it. I'm a huge Derren Brown fan and have loved all his books, shows, TV programmes to date.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2010, 05:27:00 AM »

My daughter's given me a French cookery book which includes interesting dishes like starling paté. ASDA doesn't sell starling, so I doubt if I'll be making that one.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2010, 06:01:12 AM »

I think I'm right in saying starlings are protected in this country, so you'd need to take your shotgun over to France in order to bag a few, Delph afro

Rev -- that sounds like a really entertaining book. grin

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rook
Critter

« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2010, 07:36:49 AM »

I have returned to Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, after a hiatus to read King's Full Dark, No Stars (I love the title.), a collection of four longish stories. (Early, by a few days, Christmas gift from my mom)

I thoroughly enjoyed it. afro King in excellent form, and two actually disturbed me... books don't do that to me; movies might, but not books. The second and the last were the disturbing ones, and the other two were well crafted and entertaining. Grim, too. I don't want to give anything away, but a few twists were terribly entertaining-- and very King.

One Hundred Years of Solitude is really interesting, complete opposite of King, and I am loving the prose, and most of the plot; it isn’t easy to follow, and I’ve mixed up names a couple of times, but so far it is worth reading. My problem with it is, I am halfway through, and at least two of the characters are pedophiles, even if they aren’t painted that way. Márquez talks about one character like a hero, and his, and his family’s, love for the child he marries (nine years old) is presented like it is a noble devotion. I am not happy with that… but nothing is realistic, so perhaps it is forgivable. Perhaps by the end, it will give me a complete turn around. He’s one hell of writer if he can, though. undecided

A really good friend of mine bought me How To Drive A Tank... by Frank Coles for Christmas.  It's part self-help book, part instruction manual, as it details how to do the aforementioned tank-driving, to how best to handle your finances, and even how to dispose of a dead body.  I don't know where my friend got it from because I'm certain the legality of some chapters is questionable (how to fake your death, for instance) but it's all done seriously (in that these are facts, not someone saying how they'd do it) with some humour (like the reason you might need to get hold of a gun within 24 hours, for instance).  A very interesting book.

Isn't this rather like giving a lighter to a pyro?  grin

My daughter's given me a French cookery book which includes interesting dishes like starling paté. ASDA doesn't sell starling, so I doubt if I'll be making that one.

You are more than welcome to those here in the states, Delph. Damn things are a menace...

Which isn't their fault, and they are pretty and intelligent. It isn't their fault they are successful. I don't know what they're like in europe, but here (US, east coast) they're worse than pigeons. They push out the natives, too.-- ooh, look I managed to weaken my argument, then come full circle and talk myself into disliking the things again! That's talent!  dance
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:48:09 AM by Rook » Logged

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2010, 08:22:30 AM »

I've just started on 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'.

Pretty darned good, thus far. I'd forgotten how good a well-written crime novel can be.

DW Cheesy

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx