gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55951 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 November 29, 2020, 03:07:47 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  What are you reading? (apart from this)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What are you reading? (apart from this)  (Read 92521 times)

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
Re: What are you reading? (apart from this)
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2008, 06:22:41 PM »
I really don't watch a lot of flims or TV at all. TV is currently 3 hours a week (Heroes, NCIS, Doctor Who) and I have to be in the mood for a movie. I'd rather be in front of this screen doing something interactive.

Same here. It's very rare that I sit down and watch TV. I'd much rather be talking to friends on forums or writing something for the flash challenge, or whatever else.

Is the movie of 1984 the one with John Hurt?

Yes - and Richard Burton was in it, too. Come to think of it, I probably haven't watched it in twenty years :o
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline joneastwood

• Grave Digger
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2008, 05:35:32 AM »
I have literally not watched TV in months. Occasionally myself and the mrs will watch an episode of some old sitcom via the magic of the interweb, but I'm seriously considering cancelling my TV licence. Anyone know how those BBC fascists will take it? I don't want to be fined or harassed.   

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2008, 05:52:45 AM »
I'm a non TV person, too. But I do watch a few things each week - motorcycle racing, the news now and again, music documentaries, rugby highlights (if Gloucester are playing and if they've won), and the occasional film. I'll probably watch what little coverage of the Tour de France is shown in July, too. Hmmm, the more I think about the more I do actually watch.

Couch Potato Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline bintarab

• Mortician
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2008, 07:17:08 AM »
I haven't had a TV set in a decade and my computer doesn't have a dvd player. Why do you think I spend so much time online?

~bint

Offline JonP

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Ooh look, my new website!
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2008, 07:53:51 AM »
Well, my regular viewing clocks in at around 2.5 hours (Dr Who, Heroes, Peep Show and Have I Got News For You). The end of this season's run of Waking the Dead (a sort of demented CSI if you haven't come across it in the States) has trimmed a couple of hours off, although last night's Supersizers Go Restoration was fun, although not good on a full stomach. I also have a vast pile of unwatched DVDs which I bought 'cos they were going cheap, some of which by now are probably even cheaper. Me and MrsP watched Dr Zhivago over the weekend, which I'd never seen before and which was wonderful. You just don't see that sort of spectacle these days outside of Chinese cinema.

And wasn't there an earlier version of 1984 starring Peter Cushing? To my shame, I haven't seen either of them.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
Anyone know how those BBC fascists will take it? I don't want to be fined or harassed.   

I get the impression it's not worth the hassle you get for non payment. AFAIK, you've got to either get rid of your TV altogether or cut the plug off and put it in storage. I'm not 100% sure, but I think even if it's not hitched up to an aerial and you're only using it to watch DVDs, you're still expected to have a license.

A friend of mine is the sort of person who fights the system at every turn, and he's the only person I know who has got away with not having a TV license. He's about 6'4" and built like the proverbial brick shithouse. I'm not sure whether he intimidated the clipboard who knocked his door, or whether he bored him into submission with his rant about how much extras get paid by the BBC on location. I've heard that one, and it takes stamina to sit through, and that's if you haven't got a vested interest, so... :scratch:  But he's also the kind of person whose flat is furnished with only the things that bailiffs aren't allowed to take. You wipe your shoes on the way out, too. It's not pretty. :/
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline joneastwood

• Grave Digger
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2008, 04:33:53 PM »
From what I've seen, being an extra can be the most hideous job ever. It really is exactly like the Ricky Gervais show. I've never done extra work, but I've done a fair amount of TV stuff that has used extras and they really are weird. Some people make their living from being an extra and they all live in hope of getting a line and getting spotted.
Last year, the mrs and myself were in a MFI ad (that never got aired - goodbye £9000 buyout) and before we started shooting, all the extras assumed we were extras as well. They were friendly as anything, but when lunchtime came and we were sent to eat before them, they all realised we were featured cast and the whole atmosphere turned decidedly cold. I think if I had to sit and watch people do a job that I wanted, then I would be filled with bitter hatred as well. Standard walk-on rates tend to hover around £100-£200 a day, and I think some of that wage is to compensate for having such a soul destroying job.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2008, 05:09:22 PM »
Another friend of his is an extra, and he was getting £200 a day plus decent meals, snacks and refreshments throughout the day. The guy treats it as a fun day out, which is the best way to look at it, I think. Sounds like a pretty cool hobby to me. I can imagine what you're saying is true about 'professional' extras, though. It must be a pretty desperate situation to put yourself in if you want something like that so badly.

Offline mchankwilliams

• Stiff
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2008, 12:30:33 PM »
I see a lot of talk about TV and movies here right now, but unfortunately I only have a couple of book recommendations. Oh well!

I'm currently reading The M.D. by the recently departed Thomas M. Disch. Not my favorite book in the world, but definitely worth a read. But if anyone is looking for an absolutely stunning book, check out The Open Curtain by Brian Evenson. Stunning. You'll want to read it again the second you finish it. As a matter of fact, I think I'll read that again as my next book!

http://www.coffeehousepress.org/theopencurtain.asp

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Stiff
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2008, 04:12:12 PM »
Kenneth Morris Book of The Three Dragons - utterly brilliant if you liked Eddison.
Third Black Book again and on number 27 of EC Tubb's Dumarest series which I have always thought the most underrated thing in the world. I've also been doing a bit o borig research on witchcraft

Offline SamLeeFreak

• Coroner
  • Come here, let me creep you out.
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »
Off Season, by Jack Ketchum (the uncut version).

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Stiff
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2008, 09:23:32 AM »
Got three of the Wordsworth Mystery and supernatural books for xmas. (bought them for me....)

http://www.wordsworth-editions.com/

They are about £2 each. Normally I shy away from a new book but this lot are really worth the money -  Erudite intros -  Howard, Lovecraft all the big names and many missed authors and forgotten works in the genre. Great artwork on the covers - I probably sound like an advert but these guys deserve every possible accolade for a truly brilliant set of books.

Offline desertwomble

• Coroner
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
Got three of the Wordsworth Mystery and supernatural books for xmas. (bought them for me....)

They are about £2 each. Normally I shy away from a new book but this lot are really worth the money -  Erudite intros -  Howard, Lovecraft all the big names and many missed authors and forgotten works in the genre. Great artwork on the covers - I probably sound like an advert but these guys deserve every possible accolade for a truly brilliant set of books.

Funnily enough, Craig, I'm featured in this one (plug, plug!) on page  97.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crime-Scenes-Wordsworth-Mystery-Supernatural/dp/1840220937

An excellent last minute X-mas present I might add!

DW :santa_cheesy:

Morbid Misery

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2009, 11:04:42 AM »
Jeffery Deaver - all of his stuff is awesome.

H.P. Lovecraft - another genius of the Macabre

and Dean R. Koontz - the warped master of the bizzare and unpredictable

But if you want to scare yourself senseless watch Event Horizon with the windows open blowing the curtains open with the lights off and the sound up high then afterwards read any of H.P Lovecrafts works or Some of Stephen King's earlier novels.

Or go full out go to a friend who owns a PS3 (if you don't) wait till its late say after 12:00 am and like the above suggestion play F.E.A.R, then Dead Space, then watch the Exorcist (the remastered version with the spiderwalk scene)

Or if you are like me then hell why not watch (not the american re-makes) the original Ring, The Grudge and Grudge 2 then the re-make of the Amityville Horror back to back in one night - 

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Stiff
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2010, 03:42:01 PM »

Funnily enough, Craig, I'm featured in this one (plug, plug!) on page  97.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crime-Scenes-Wordsworth-Mystery-Supernatural/dp/1840220937

An excellent last minute X-mas present I might add!

DW :santa_cheesy:

Good plug though ;) Must be a great feeling to see Wordsworth and your name linked - sort of established with panache

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  What are you reading? (apart from this)

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.125 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx