gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 12:52:32 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: One Bullet  (Read 3918 times)
hugs_and_love
Don't fix me. I am not broken.
Stiff

KITTY!

« on: March 05, 2007, 04:30:04 PM »

Ok so there are two versions to this poem.  I will give you some background about it real fast.  Last Halloween a boy I knew  from church killed himself.   I wrote this poem.  It's called " one bullet"

Version one

One bullet to the head
Ended the life we knew
The group we had
Ended the laughter
Ended the jokes
Praying for the family
Hoping he's in heaven
Wondering what made him do it.
Nights full of restless sleep
Wrestling with the unanswerable questions
Wondering when it gets easier
Knowing he won't be forgotten

version two

One bullet to the head
Ended the life we knew
The group we had
The laughter
The jokes
Left us clinging to each other
Praying for the family
Hoping he's in heaven
Wondering what pushed him over the edge
Asking the unanswerable questions
Wondering how much time has to pass
Before it all gets easier
Before the pain eases
Before we're smiling again
Before we can laugh again
Knowing it'll never be the same
Knowing he won't be forgotten
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:30:40 PM by hugs_and_love » Logged

"If a man has not found something he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live."
"You can lust at yourself; it is called narcissism."
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:28:55 PM »

I am to poetry as a wheelbarrow is to a banana, but it seems to me that the second poem grips me more. The clinging to each other seems pivotal.

Just as an aside and yet on topic, so to speak, a nephew of mine was within a drop of spilt blood of successfully bleeding himself to death. Over a decade later, researchers found that the tabs he took for his agoraphobia, in combination with other anti-depressant medication often lead to suicidal tendencies.  What I'm getting at is that sometimes, as in your poem, there seems no reason for the attempt, but later there is.

Tough life isn't it?

Geoff

hugs_and_love
Stiff

KITTY!

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »

It's been like 5(ish) months no one has a reason.  He wasn't taking any meds, He wasn't depressed.  There were no signs and that was the hardest part to deal with.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 08:15:37 PM by hugs_and_love » Logged

"If a man has not found something he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live."
Dead Aim
Stiff

Contents Under Pressure

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:14:53 AM »

A lot of times people have trouble expressing their feelings.  It's hard to admit to people that you're hurting, so you just keep it bottled up and pretend to be fine.  That's probably how your friend felt, though I can't be sure because the circumstances are different for every person.  I know from experience that denying your emotions can lead to destructive behavior.  If people didn't have outlets for their frustration, their sadness, their emotions in general, the world would be in much worse condition than it is already.  I'm sorry about your friend, but he's just proof that people need something to keep their mind of things; be it poetry, reading, video games, etc.

hugs_and_love
Stiff

KITTY!

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 10:08:20 AM »

It's not soo much that it still bugs me...Just makes me wonder.  And the reason this one was posted it wwas the first I came across in my blog.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 07:34:04 PM by hugs_and_love » Logged

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »

In some ways it's more difficult to lose a close friend than it is to lose a relative - often times you'll feel closer to friends than you do to family. If it's any consolation to you, he's the only one not suffering from his death. It's the people left behind who suffer. In the case of a suicide it's even worse than a natural or accidental death, because there's the guilt in wondering if there was something you should have done or could have done to stop him. Rest assured there wasn't. Suicide is a selfish act, for the most part.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx