gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55948 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 September 25, 2020, 11:07:19 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Writing in the genes?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Writing in the genes?  (Read 4234 times)

Offline canadian

• Coroner
  • amphibian
Writing in the genes?
« on: March 18, 2007, 05:53:41 AM »
Mar 18, 2007 04:30 AM

PORTSMOUTH, N.H.–Joe Hill knew it was only a matter of time before one of the publishing industry's hottest little secrets became common knowledge. He just wished he could have kept it under wraps a bit longer.

But when Hill's fantasy-tinged thriller, Heart-Shaped Box, came out last month, it was inevitable that all would be revealed. After 10 years of writing short stories under his pen name, the world now views him through a different prism – as the older son of Stephen King.

Hill, 34, said his secret identity allowed him to avoid trading on the family name and "let me make my mistakes in private."

Heart-Shaped Box is a fast-paced tale of another man with dual identities. Judas Coyne, born Justin Cowzynski, is an over-the-hill heavy metal rocker who acquires a haunted suit. But Coyne learns that the suit's occupant is a spooky spiritualist bent on vengeance.

The book has drawn good reviews and Warner Bros. snapped up movie rights months before the book hit stores.

Associated Press
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
Re: Writing in the genes?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 11:35:52 AM »
I remember coming across those haunted clothes in Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca.

I wonder if Warner Bros would have signed up film rights if The Heart-Shaped Box hadn't been written by a King. Good luck to him, we all need an angle! And the richer the publishers get, the more spare cash they have to take chances on us!

Geoff

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »
Having an uber famous father was never going to harm his chances of getting published, and good luck to him. I wonder if the two of them see eye to eye on writing, or whether they argue at family gatherings about the use of adverbs and speech tags, etc. :grin:

BTW, it turns out  Daphne du Maurier's daughter lives about 200 yards down the road from me. I've been saying hello to her for years, never knowing she had a famous author for a mother, and I only discovered the truth because of a village quiz night last Saturday, where one of the questions was, who wrote the novel behind Alfred Hitchcock's film, The Birds? When the answers were read out, the announcer stated that putting 'mum' as the answer was not sufficiently detailed :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 05:42:59 PM »
BTW, it turns out  Daphne du Maurier's daughter lives about 200 yards down the road from me. I've been saying hello to her for years, never knowing she had a famous author for a mother, and I only discovered the truth because of a village quiz night last Saturday, where one of the questions was, who wrote the novel behind Alfred Hitchcock's film, The Birds? When the answers were read out, the announcer stated that putting 'mum' as the answer was not sufficiently detailed :grin:

I read this out loud to my mrs who thought it hilarious. My copy of The Birds - a tatty penguin version - is signed by your neighbour's mum  :grin:  in about mid 1960s when she did signings at the Cheltenham Festival.

Geoff

Offline neilmarr

• Coffin Maker
    • BeWrite Books
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 02:25:11 AM »
I've met quite a few VIPkinder, following in famous footsteps. Sure, some merely cash in on well known names and powerful family connections. Others have huge talent and succeed in spite of their parent/s rather than because of them. And -- as we all know -- many turn out to be even bigger talents than their mommas and poppas. Long live the Kings. Cheers. Neil

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Writing in the genes?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.104 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx