gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55884 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 26, 2020, 11:05:22 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Front Page Challenge  (Read 4934 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: April 14, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »

Sort of, anyway.

When I first started this site, I hoped to have a new story by an aspiring writer on the front page every month. Unfortunately, that's not happened as much as I would have liked and our last story was way back in November. Last year I tried to get an anthology together, but we didn't get enough entries. Before that, I wanted to get a bunch of stories together to podcast as mp3s, but we didn't have enough to do it. Seems like everything we try to do fails because we can't get enough people together to do them.

We've had our successes, too. For instance, I think our crit group is one of the best online anywhere, but even that is now suffering from a lack of participation. It's nobody's fault - we're all busy people, after all.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, from May onwards, I'm going to split the year into two halves and split the competition budget in two, so on the 31st October there will be £50 (English pounds), which is roughly $100 (USD) awarded to the best front page story of the preceding six months. And the same again on the 31st of April 08. I'm going to advertise for submissions on Ralan's, and also on Duotrope, which will hopefully lead to a reinvigoration of the site.

Editorial standard will be high. At some point I might need a hand sifting through the submissions, if we get a lot, so I'll ask for volunteers if and when it crops up.

Any thoughts or suggestions on any of this, anybody? smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:22:13 PM »

Don't forget Firstwriter.com. They advertise a lot of comps, too.  afro

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 04:18:42 AM »

Thanks for the reminder, Sharon. Must admit I'm a bit worried about the potential workload this is going to create, but hopefully the gain will be worth the pain smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Robert M. Blevins
Coffin Maker

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 07:31:35 PM »

Blunt:
Ever thought about updating your entry at Ralan? If you wanted to do a real anthology, you should state you try to assemble one per year.
We have had the same problem sometimes over at Adventure Books. People constantly send us book submissions...at least five a week. However, our Escape Velocity magazine openings go unfilled. I may have to cancel it for this year.

'Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder.'
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 06:11:50 PM »

I don't really want to get involved with anthologies just yet. The last attempt was a pain in the arse and I'm still getting flak about it now from a couple of people. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Sorry to hear about Escape Velocity having to fold. Trouble is, most people want paying for their subs, which is fair enough, I suppose, but if you're putting the mag out for free it obviously doesn't make financial sense to pay anything approaching pro rates for the stories.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:12:44 PM by blunt » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx