gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55948 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 September 26, 2020, 12:08:24 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Rushdie's Knighthood
gfx
gfxgfx

Poll

Rushdie's knighthood - good or bad idea?

Good idea
0 (0%)
Bad idea
2 (66.7%)
Not sure
0 (0%)
Don't care
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 23, 2007, 04:51:10 PM

Author Topic: Rushdie's Knighthood  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
Rushdie's Knighthood
« on: June 18, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »
The Pakistani government have unanimously voted to condemn the British govt's decision to bestow a knighthood on Salman Rushdie. One Pakistani politician even said people should strap bombs to themselves and go on suicide bombing missions unless the honour is withdrawn and an apology issued.

So, bestowing a knighthood on Rushdie - very bad, stupid idea considering our current standing with the international Muslim community, or brave move championing freedom of the arts?
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
Re: Rushdie's Knighthood
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:02:11 PM »
:scratch: Well I thought it was an interesting discussion point, anyway...
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »
Leaving aside the Islamic countries' views for the moment, I find all of Rushdie's work almost impenetrable. I've not been able to finish half of any of his fiction. His articles are not much better. It might sound like sour grapes, but IMHO he is quite a mediocre writer and many others are much more worthy of recognition for their "services to literature" than he.

This may sound like conspiracy theory, but I wonder how anyone in Iran managed to read Satanic Verses before the Fatwah was declared on it and him? Sales were dismal until then... see where I'm going. Yes it was wrong for a writer to have a death threat on him even though it was virtually programmed in as a consequence of his plot and the attention drawn to his treatment / interpretation of Islam, and the inevitable consequences.

So we come to the knighthood. It can't really be for the quality of his writing. So what is it for? His dedication to being a writer's martyr, which he and his publishers seem to have engineered to an extent? In what way was that a service to literature? If anything the hatred in the Islam world towards him spread to their rejection of British literature as a whole. Sales of UK books to those countries went from low to none.

To me he was an embarrassment to be forgotten. His knighthood at a time of unrest has created illogical but understandable cries for revenge.

Yes, a very bad idea.

Geoff

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 04:28:01 PM »
I agree with you, Geoff. Bloody stupid idea if you ask me. A knighthood, to me, signifies that the recipient is somebody worthy of admiration - somebody who has provided a great service to the people of Britain, or has represented them in some great undertaking. As far as I can tell, the only great undertaking he has ever been a part of is coining the phrase, "Ooh, naughty, but nice." For use in promoting cream cakes.

So, let's recap - he's not British, he doesn't even live here, his books are crap, and he is hated by practically every Muslim on the planet. (IMO, they should be more tolerant, but that's another conversation) Why, oh why is he worthy of this honour? :idiot:

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Rushdie's Knighthood

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.115 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx