gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55884 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 27, 2020, 02:55:34 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody else enter the Bridport?  (Read 5901 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: June 30, 2007, 07:24:35 PM »

As always, I left it until the last minute. Had a crisis of confidence, TBH - can't seem to write squat at the moment, but then I thought to hell with it. If I had let the deadline pass without at least trying, I would have felt lousy about it, so I gave my pieces a final edit, drove down to Bridport and posted my entries through the letterbox of the Arts Centre. Couldn't believe how bad the weather was on the way there - hill fog, standing water on the roads, kept losing the back end of the car on bends, even though I was taking it steady. Still, I made it there and back without incident, so maybe I used up all my luck on the journey and there's none left for the comp rolleyes

Anybody else enter the comp?

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 10:17:46 PM »

I did not, and you are a better man than I, Mr B. What a drive you had! My time yesterday was spent sending off last minute entries to Whim's Place, a query to a new dog magazine, and wrapping up an online course on plotting. We are a crazy lot, aren't we?  scratch

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 04:42:07 AM »

I've never entered the Bridport, the majority of the top half-dozen winning pieces all seem so dreadfully morose and woe-begotten, and I couldn't pull myself sufficiently low to write that depressing.

Good luck though, Ed.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:32:12 AM »

Yep, we're crazy alright. Good luck with your efforts, Sharon. afro

Geoff - I know what you mean. Most of the lit stories I've read seem to be morose and dour. One of mine is humorous, the other is contemplative, so hopefully they'll make a refreshing change to the judge who reads them. I don't expect to be anywhere near a winning place, but that's not the point - I'd be ecstatic just to make it onto the long list smiley (very much doubt that'll happen either, but I can still dream afro )

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
canadian
Coroner

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 10:14:08 AM »

Flirtybee & I both entered. A story and poem each. Probably have no chance of even getting short listed 'cause our stories aren't horribly depressing.  bleh

If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin
Dan
Mortician

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 02:52:43 PM »

I'd like to enter, but i don't believe i'm at that level yet...
Maybe next year

www.HellInside.com - welcome to Hell!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 04:47:29 AM »

Good luck to you and Flirty, Donna afro

Dan - as long as you're happy with the story yourself, I think you're in with a chance. How's the novel writing going - are you on your second one yet? smiley

Dan
Mortician

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 05:40:30 PM »

Ha! No, sadly back to the day job...

First novel locked away in that bottom drawer - not sure if it'll ever see the light of day, but tbh i'm not too bothered - it was more for the experience...Next one to be started probably in a year and a half, til then keep churning out the shorts, working on the craft and so on...

Few recent publications which are always nice - this one at the harrow:
http://www.theharrow.com/journal/index.php/journal/article/view/2147/622

and at flashquake - under my new pseudonym, Rupert Merkin:
http://www.flashquake.org/fiction/good-kicking.html

Shame about the crit group dying off - any news on a resurgence?

www.HellInside.com - welcome to Hell!
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 06:45:29 PM »

I've just read your published stories, Dan, Rupert. You are an evil b***d. I liked 'em.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 08:01:16 PM »

Yep - kewl afro Particularly liked the tongue one. I read it a while back, but it's still got a good sting to it. The other one is a re-write of your suicide assistant story, isn't it? Like it.

Yeah, it is a shame that the crit group has died out, like most everything else has here. It would be nice to get things up and running again, but other than holding people at gunpoint we can't make them join in and stay keen. I'm hoping interest might perk up if I redesign the website and then put out a fresh call for submissions. Summer is always a bit slow anyway - people taking holidays and enjoying themselves instead of working... the buggers grin

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx