gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 07:56:12 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A bit more fiddling around  (Read 5848 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: July 02, 2007, 08:06:14 PM »

Still keeping in mind the redesign of the website, I did a quick pencil sketch earlier on, then scanned it into Photoshop. I'm going to see if I can refine the sketch and make it into a decent graphic. So far I've just added some shading, but tomorrow night I'll add a bit of colour, too, and see where it takes me. See what you think, anyway. Wish me luck - I think I'm going to need it (can't find my tablet - using a mouse instead undecided )

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:07:50 PM by blunt » Logged

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 02:33:44 AM »

Coming along nicely, I'd say. I like the concept of the writing surface appearing to float. The eye sockets could be darker - maybe try with a deep red black?

I'm fed up trying to use  Paintshop pro as a painting tool - just too user unfriendly although it has nice effects for manipulating photos. Photshop is so expensive though - it might have to be another birthday present!

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 04:36:10 PM »

I've never tried Paintshop Pro, but I've spoken to several people online who use Photoshop for drawing, but Paintshop Pro for shading and colouring. I've no idea why, but apparently it's easier.

Here's where I'm at now. Not sure whether I like it or not. It's certainly time consuming, though smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 05:59:58 PM »

Another bit more...

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 06:45:26 PM »

I think that's about as far as I can take it -

Looks a bit cartoony to me, but I don't think I can odds it scratch

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:36:18 PM »

Looks good.

I'd find it difficult to resist having the bottom bit of writng in blood and some dripping off the edge of the floating tabletop. But that would prob be too seedy.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 07:42:31 PM »

afro Thanks, Geoff. Glad you like it. It's not exactly photo-real-looking, but I'm not a pro artist and never likely to be. Funny, tho, I did think about doing the writing in red, but decided against it on the grounds it might be too cheesy grin

SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 12:08:46 AM »

I like it, Mr B!  :afro:And I like how you shared the changes over time.  dance

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 04:19:00 AM »

Thanks, Sharon afro

Here's another one I started last night. The sketch was pretty awful, but I find it easier to start with a pencil drawing (however bad) and then use layers to refine the drawing, rather than just use a single layer and the Photoshop brushes.

It's supposed to be a scarecrow -

I was having trouble drawing the eyes, so I imported one from a stock photo. Needn't have bothered, though - it's no longer recognisable in the latest version of the drawing.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 04:56:25 PM »

Gradually refining it. I'm finding this one quite difficult, though - I haven't got anything to look at to guide me, so I'm having to use my imagination rolleyes

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 06:08:48 PM »

With a background added -

Dan
Mortician

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 04:39:58 PM »

Whoa, that's pretty creepy
Good job on the scarecrow

The only thing i'd say is that it looks a bit 'superimposed' at the moment on the background

www.HellInside.com - welcome to Hell!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 06:21:48 PM »

Cheers, Dan - I put a line of yellow around the scarecrow to simulate backlighting with sunlight, but I'm not sure whether it works as intended. I'd love to be better at all this stuff, but my artistic streak seems to come and go. Some days I'll draw stuff that I think is pretty good, yet other days I draw like a five year-old grin

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx