News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Hot Air

Started by Geoff_N, September 21, 2007, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

I 've a busy week coming up.
FantasyCon '07 tomorrow in Nottingham.

Going with wife to a do for her in London in the week.

I'm off to Groningen in the Netherlands on Friday to collect an award.
The award is for coming second in a comp for unpublished novels and is held by a college of Arts in Holland. I'd forgotten about it until the email came and said I was a winner and part of the prize was Hot Air will be published. I know few details - it's not a famous award, and it could be a silly little arty farty nothing. Some details are on their webbie
http://www.wuacademia.org/

A little about Hot Air is here
http://www.geoffnelder.com/HotAirsample.htm

It's the rollicking adventure story for which I went to Mallorca to do the research and was arrested - twice! (all in the cause of authenticity for my writing).

I had two rejections in the post today for a short story and my Left Luggage novel, but at least I have the award to keep me smiling!  ;)

Geoff

canadian

Have fun on all your travels, Geoff. I'm amazed how much energy you've got after clambering up those Welsh mountains!

While you're at Fantasycon, look up Christopher Teague of Pendragon Press. See if he's got any copies of "New Writings in the Fantastic" left.  :bleh:
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Geoff_N

Hi Donna. I found the Pendragon stall but no one was manning it. There were copies of the anthology with your story there :) - I love the cover art with that 3D hollowed cube-type thingy. There were several BeWrite books on other tables - mainly for books by John Grant.

Steve Upham of Screaming Dreams commissioned me to write another sci fi story for a print anthology next year - I smiled all the way home. And then some cos my daughter has decided to ask for a day off work to come with me to Holland. So at least one person will applaud! Hah

Geoff

SharonBell

Geoff, can't you hear me clapping, cheering, and whistling?? Good at ya!! :afro: :afro: :afro:
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Geoff_N

Quote from: SharonBell on September 22, 2007, 04:56:55 PM
Geoff, can't you hear me clapping, cheering, and whistling?? Good at ya!! :afro: :afro: :afro:

Wait a moment while I screw in my hearing aids...

Ah yes, thanks Sharon!!!  :cheers:

Ed

Wonderful news, Geoff - well done on the Hot Air prize, and for getting a commission to write a story for the Screaming Dreams antho. All the hard work you've put in looks to be paying off. Have a great time in Holland :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Walker

Way to go, Geoff.
Good for you man.
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

canadian

Christopher Teague says he's gonna fire his 'sales gnome' and hopes you buy the book on Amazon. Cop out, that's what I call it!

Huge congrats on your recent writing accomplishments, Geoff. You're my hero.  :kiss:
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Geoff_N

Just a link from my blog for folk who might be interested in the book
award and associated festivities I attended in Groningen yesterday.

http://geoffnelder.wordpress.com/

Geoff

Ed

I'm glad it went well and you had a good time, Geoff. Sounded like a great trip. BTW, I didn't realise that Deborah Rey was once Anne Franke's next door neighbour. I don't suppose she ever got to meet her, though, because she was in hiding the whole time and I don't suppose anybody outside of the family knew the Franke's were there. Incredible to think of it. What horrendous times she must have lived through.

Anyway, congrats again on the award :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

SharonBell

Quote from: Geoff_N on September 30, 2007, 12:02:08 PM
Just a link from my blog for folk who might be interested in the book
award and associated festivities I attended in Groningen yesterday.

http://geoffnelder.wordpress.com/

Geoff

Sounds like you had a LOVELY time, and the good news keeps coming for you. It's not luck, it's hard work. You've earned the accolades!
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

neilmarr

Morning Geoff: Great to read of your experience in Holland. Sounds like you both had a whale of a time. Congratulations again. Neil

Geoff_N

Quote from: Ed on September 30, 2007, 04:39:55 PM
I'm glad it went well and you had a good time, Geoff. Sounded like a great trip. BTW, I didn't realise that Deborah Rey was once Anne Franke's next door neighbour. I don't suppose she ever got to meet her, though, because she was in hiding the whole time and I don't suppose anybody outside of the family knew the Franke's were there. Incredible to think of it.

I believe Deborah DID know Anne Frank and the rest of the family. Deborah has quite a childhood history with her being a child-courier, dangerously taking messages from one resistance group to another under the noses of the Gestapo. Her family hid and enabled people to escape. As you say, horrendous and yet inspiring.

My daughter doesn't like the 'improvements' to the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam. There's now a glass and steel street front and to accommodate the crushed conga of visitors they've removed all the furniture in the rooms. The new interactive multimedia room / lab is very good though, and Deborah tells me her voice is on some of that media.

Geoff