News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

New Cafe Doom Writing competition

Started by Ed, October 13, 2007, 12:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Stay tuned for this year's Cafe Doom halloween competition. I wasn't going to do one this year because of the hassles of previous years, but this time I won't be doing the judging - you lot will :afro:

As with all the others, it'll be free to enter. Prizes will be Amazon vouchers, so you can buy all sorts of stuff with your winnings. Full details at - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/topic,1750.0.html

So who's up for it, huh? :huh:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Walker

Awesome, Ed. I'll see if I can put together a short one for this.
:evil:
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

Ed

Good stuff - I'll look forward to reading your entry, Walker :afro:

This is what we're going to do this time around - I've asked Helen Whittaker if we can borrow her voting system that she devised to pick stories for The Write Idea antho and she has kindly agreed to let us nick it. Thanks again, Helen :smiley:

What happens is everybody sends their entries to blunted(at)cafedoom.com for me to post anonymously on the competition thread on the 31st of October. Between then and the closing date of the competition (midnight GMT 2nd November), all entrants must post to vote for their favourites on the separate voting thread and name their top three. Competition entrants must vote, or their entry will be disqualified. The only other members of the forum eligible to vote will be those who joined before today's date.

One entry per person.
Free to enter.
Prizes are in USD, paid in Amazon vouchers, and on a sliding scale dependent upon the number of entries we receive.

Under ten entries - competition cancelled.

Ten to Fifteen entries - prize fund $100, split $50, $30, $20 for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, respectively.
Fifteen to twenty entries - prize fund $150, split $70, $50, $30 for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, respectively.
Over twenty entries - prize fund $200, split $100, $70, $30 for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

The number of entries is calculated after the voting, in case some entrants fail to vote.

CafeDoom.com reserves the right to display entries on the site, but authors retain all other rights to their work.

Does that seem fair? :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

So, now you've set up the voting and prize rules, what is the writing bit about? I mean is Halloween the only topic? What about length and all?

Geoff

Ed

Good question, Geoff  :afro:

It's all a bit spur of the moment, but I'm thinking length of over 1,200 words and on any subject you like. Completely open.

What do you think? :smiley:

canadian

I need a good kick up the writing backside. Count me in.

Word count should have an upper limit, Ed. Otherwise, readers might not hang in till the end of a really long one. I'd suggest going for 1,200 - 3,000 words, myself.
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Ed

Thanks for the suggestion, Donna - 1,200 to 3,000 it is, then :afro:

Ed

For full details of the comp, please click on the following link - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/topic,1750.msg15970/topicseen.html#msg15970 :afro:

Please, please, please - spread the word. This one is a bit of a quickie, so the more people who know and the sooner they know about it, the better it'll be for everbody. Thanks, all :smiley: