gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 02:04:00 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3rd Anniversary voting thread  (Read 44480 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: October 14, 2007, 08:00:46 AM »

*Between the stories being posted on October 31st and midnight GMT on 2nd November, all entrants must vote on this thread for their favourite three entries.*

Voting procedure:

Who can vote?
Everyone who is a member of Cafedoom as of 12th October 2007 is eligible to vote in the competition. You do not need to have written an entry to vote.
If you have written an entry for the competition, you must vote.

Can I vote for my own work?
No. 

How does voting work?
List the titles of the entries to which you give first, second and third place, like this:

1st place - [enter title of story]
2nd place - [enter title of story]
3rd place - [enter title of story]

If you like, you can comment on the entries.

(NB: Each 1st place is worth 5 points,
each 2nd place is worth 3 points
and each 3rd place is worth 1 point.)

Post your voting information to this thread.

How long do we have to vote?
Voting will open as soon as I post the stories on 31st October 2007 and close at midnight on 2nd November 2007.

If there is anyone who has entered one of the competitions who has not yet cast their vote by the end of the second day, I will let you know and I will send this person a PM as a reminder. Anyone else who fancies giving them a bit of a nudge is also welcome to do so! They then have 24 hours in which to cast their vote. If they fail to cast their vote within the 24 hour time limit their entry will lose all points, and their story will be disqualified from the competition.

When voting is complete I will reveal the identities of the authors and announce the winners.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:37:27 AM »

A brilliant collection of stories. Thoroughly enjoyed reading them all. Here are my votes:

1st place: INTERNAL POLITICS
2nd place: THE CHICKEN SHACK KID
3rd place: VULTURE LAKE
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 01:42:29 PM »

Wow - that was quick, Delph afro

Believe it or not, I haven't read through all the entries, yet, and I'm out tonight to watch Sean Locke's stand-up routine, so I've got a bit of reading to do sometime smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 02:34:15 PM »

I read them all complete, giving marks out of ten, then re-read all the ones that I'd given marks over seven (that was about half of them), discarded all but the top five, skimmed through them again, and decided on the final places. Mind, I didn't get much else done this morning... lol. First place was easy to decide. Others were much closer, and took quite a long time. Went purely on gut reaction for all of them. A thoroughly enjoyable process.  yes
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 03:08:37 PM »

Okay, that was entirely too much fun! There are some really great stories here. I hope everyone here (even those of us who don't win) know how incredibly gifted they are! But, since everyone can't win, here are my favorites:

1st Place: Dealing Death
2nd Place: Holding Back the Years
3rd Place: Shade

In Dealing Death, I absolutely loved the dialogue, and the descriptions may have been a little lengthy, but they put me right into the story. Holding Back the Years was just fun to read and a completely original storyline. In Shade, I didn't go so much for the storyline but loved the author's play on words.
Thanks, everyone, for the great reads!
SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 03:40:02 PM »

A wonderful way to spend Halloween day!  yess I wound up with seven favorites, which I then whittled down to the necessary three. Not an easy task!

1st Place "Vulture Lake" The ending broke my heart  Cry

2nd Place "Internal Politics" 

3rd Place "Crack baby"
Sallyq
Mortician

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 04:25:10 PM »

'Eck that was tough! I started reading at around 3.30pm, and only just finished, though I took a few breaks so I could read works refreshed. Lots of very good stories, with lots of contenders for winners, but here are my three votes.

1st Place Internal Politics -  I felt this would be my first the moment I read it, and as good as the others were, I didn't change my mind. Wonderful sci-fi story and made me think of Asimov, which is probably why I liked it.

2nd Place Special Collection - Very atmospheric, with the air of an old-fashioned horror story that I really enjoyed. I guessed the ending, but it was still a good story.

3rd Place The Chicken Shack Kid - Very convincing portrayal of the horrors that kids do (and go on to do). Reminiscent of Stephen King's treatment of teenage relationships.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:26:09 PM by Sallyq » Logged

kolia gogol
Stiff

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 04:27:54 PM »

1st - flogging a dead horse
2nd - roast chicken & pineapple
3rd - surviving the moon
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 06:40:11 PM »

1st Shade
2nd Razorblades
3rd Flogging a dead horse

PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 08:00:20 PM »

Wow! Talented bunch, you made it hard to pick faves. But I had to, so here are my votes:

1. The Bushes Scream
2. Holding Back the Years
3. Roast Chicken and Pineapple

Congrats to everyone who entered though, some really excellent stories in there.
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 01:36:58 AM »

1 - razorblades
2 -surviving the moon
3 - do it yourself
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 04:23:43 AM »

Thanks for voting in such timely fashion - you're putting me to shame afro

Still anybody's contest with another fourteen votes to count. Those of you who haven't voted yet, please cast your votes as soon as possible smiley

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 05:08:32 AM »

Wow, you guys are brilliant, sick, twisted, talented, and did I say sick? Must confess I was a little apprehensive about reading 20+ stories in one evening but as it happened it was a great way to spend a few hours.

There were quite a few of these that, at one time or another, were in poll position. But Del's final scores on the doors are:

1st place - Vulture Lake
2nd place - Sealed With Blood
3rd place - Of Half Measures

Great stuff and well done!

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
alex
Gladiator Thighs
Stiff

Alex

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 10:30:29 AM »

1st place - The Chicken Shack Kid
2nd place - Shade
3rd place - Dealing Death

Alex.

David_E_Greske
Stiff

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 11:40:51 AM »

First off, Great job to everyone.  I enjoyed all the stories and picking three has really been a challenge.  So, here are my choices:

1st--Roast Chicken and Pineapple  I really liked the way this stroy was written.  I really felt as if I was apart of it.

2nd--Of Half Measures  This story reminded me of a new take on the 'Portrait of Dorian Gray"

3rd--Holding Back the Years  I've always been fascinated at the extremes people will go through in the name of vanity.  To me this story was the ultimate sacrifice, which unlike I expected had a somewhat happy ending. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx