gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55950 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 October 23, 2020, 12:11:54 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  Competitions and Markets  |  Short Story Competitions and Markets  |  Doom's 3rd Anniversary Comp 2007  |  3rd Anniversary voting thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 3rd Anniversary voting thread  (Read 65742 times)

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
Re: 3rd Anniversary voting thread
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2007, 03:52:19 AM »
Actually, even taking that 5 points into account, Chicken Shack Kid's result is 16 points. So you must have added it up right, but put the wrong numbers in when you filled this in.

I'm just going through all the others (have got as far as Shade) and all the rest seem to be okay.

Ah, I've just seen that you noticed that!

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2007, 03:53:33 AM »
 :dance: :dance: :dance: Thanks to everyone who voted my story into second place! It was much more than I imagined I'd get when I saw the quality of the rest of the stories. Well done everyone!

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2007, 04:13:29 AM »
Congrats to Jon. I did enjoy his story - well it was scifi  :cheers:
 In fact because it was in my own genre I felt I might be biased towards it and so didn't put it in my top 3 - howz that for warped logic! :scratch:

After a bit of mining two of the submitters have confessed that they didn't get around to reading the last few stories because they'd met such good ones earlier on in the list. Reading fatigue had obviously set in for some.

I could say that my 4321 story didn't get any votes because no one read it - last in the list - or that it lacked the visceral noir element most of the others had. Anything but the truth that it was a crap story - one for the shredder.

Congrats to Sallyq for her enigmatic story too.

Paul and Del - gritty stuff, well done.

Geoff
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 04:14:26 AM by Geoff_N »

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2007, 04:38:39 AM »
Thanks Geoff! I think there's always a chance that reading fatigue might set in, which is why I kept going for breaks. I did like your story, but by the time I got to the last few I think I'd already set on my favourites, and perhaps that's what a few others did.

Tip for next time. Have your title beginning with a letter at the front of the alphabet (then Ed will post them in reverse alphabetical order :D)

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2007, 05:09:53 AM »
Congratulations to everyone! And especially Jon, SallyQ, and Paul. The level of professionalism, imagination, and style across all the tales (not just the winners) was stunning.

This was a really interesting methodology for a competition (so special thanks to Ed). Being able to read all the entries and then afterwards see how the individual authors/readers voted really demonstrates both the breadth of talent and the breadth of taste, and more than anything helps one to understand that, in the world of fiction, though you can't please all the people all the time, just pleasing one or two makes it all worthwhile. And normally, this pleasuring of another, sotospeak, goes unnoticed. So it's nice to see the process revealed.  Ahem. :shocked:

Special thanks to Geoff who introduced me to the Cafe and hence the competition in the first play.

More later!

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline quolm

• Stiff
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2007, 05:29:36 AM »
God I have no excuses I am completely slack! Sorry guys/ gals for not voting and being rubbish. I'll pull my thumb out next time.  :(

Offline joneastwood

• Grave Digger
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2007, 05:57:07 AM »
WOW! Thanks everyone!!
I'm REALLY happy about how many people thought highly of my story - especially compared to the high standard of the others.
This is actually the first story I ever wrote! I'm very new to writing actually - and i was struck by how experienced and professional everyone sounded. Thanks to Ed for a great competition!
 :cheers: :cheers:

And congrats to all - especially Sally, Paul and Del!!

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2007, 06:08:06 AM »
This is actually the first story I ever wrote!

You're kidding, Jon?!  :cheesy: It just shows that sometimes talent is there and doesn't have to be learned. Well done indeed!

delph_ambi

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2007, 08:15:09 AM »
Well done everyone, and especially well done Jon - superb story.  :yes:

Offline SharonBell

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Sharon's Home Page
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »
This is actually the first story I ever wrote! I'm very new to writing actually - and i was struck by how experienced and professional everyone sounded.

Oh, Jon!! Life as you knew it is officially over. This win has guaranteed that you are HOOOOOOKED!  :afro: You will never be the same again. Now you are one of us in the land of obsessive-compulsive writers. :grin: :evil: I'm delighted that we wil be able to say we knew ya when!
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Offline sylvrilyn

• Grave Digger
    • Cuke Luna
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2007, 10:46:35 AM »
Congrats to everyone!  Jon, that's an amazing first story!  I would never have guessed it was your first.

And Ed, not that it matters in terms of prizes, but I think you gave me two extra points.  I should have had 3+3+1, since you voted me 3rd, not 2nd.   So I think I have 7 points.   :scratch:

Offline SamLeeFreak

• Coroner
  • Come here, let me creep you out.
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2007, 10:53:46 AM »
WOW! Thanks everyone!!
I'm REALLY happy about how many people thought highly of my story - especially compared to the high standard of the others.
This is actually the first story I ever wrote! I'm very new to writing actually - and i was struck by how experienced and professional everyone sounded. Thanks to Ed for a great competition!
 :cheers: :cheers:

And congrats to all - especially Sally, Paul and Del!!

You're dicking me! That is fantastic  :grin:

Offline alex

• Gladiator Thighs
  • Stiff
  • Alex
    • Alex Wilson - Writer, Actor
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2007, 03:02:41 PM »
Congrats to the winners!

And thanks to those who voted for mine.

Alex.

Offline BloatedFlesh

• Stiff
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2007, 03:59:24 PM »
My apologies (BloatedFlesh) for being an ignorant plonker and not reading the rules, especially to those who took the time to vote for me. No excuses; I registered with CD on whim then forgot about it til I was invited to submit. Amazed and humbled am I that one of you chose my story as the best. Be sure I will now become a regular on CD.

Offline starktheground

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2007, 04:57:26 PM »
Congratulations Guys!!! Well done, and all that!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: (And, Geoff, I liked your story. I was debating between picking The Shade and yours for third place, before settling on The Shade.) I still can't believe my story got so many votes. Even if I didn't place, it still feels pretty darn good.  :grin:

Cafe Doom  |  Competitions and Markets  |  Short Story Competitions and Markets  |  Doom's 3rd Anniversary Comp 2007  |  3rd Anniversary voting thread

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx