gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55950 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 October 23, 2020, 01:16:15 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  Competitions and Markets  |  Short Story Competitions and Markets  |  Doom's 3rd Anniversary Comp 2007  |  3rd Anniversary voting thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 3rd Anniversary voting thread  (Read 65748 times)

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
Re: 3rd Anniversary voting thread
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2007, 05:07:16 PM »
(And, Geoff, I liked your story. I was debating between picking The Shade and yours for third place, before settling on The Shade.)

Hey, thanks Stark, that's cheered me up - really! It's a bit like how I once came runner up to an honourable mention years ago for a major comp and yet felt proud of it! Hah!

Geoff
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 05:08:24 PM by Geoff_N »

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2007, 05:40:21 PM »
Congratulations to everyone! And especially Jon, SallyQ, and Paul. The level of professionalism, imagination, and style across all the tales (not just the winners) was stunning.

This was a really interesting methodology for a competition (so special thanks to Ed). Being able to read all the entries and then afterwards see how the individual authors/readers voted really demonstrates both the breadth of talent and the breadth of taste, and more than anything helps one to understand that, in the world of fiction, though you can't please all the people all the time, just pleasing one or two makes it all worthwhile. And normally, this pleasuring of another, sotospeak, goes unnoticed. So it's nice to see the process revealed.  Ahem. :shocked:

Special thanks to Geoff who introduced me to the Cafe and hence the competition in the first play.

More later!

Del

Very true, I think. Object lesson in not taking criticism too much to heart - somebody out there will like it, others won't, but the few who like what you've done make it worthwhile putting the effort in :smiley:

My story didn't get any votes for a while, but then somebody voted it 3rd place, which made me very happy, then a second, which made me happier again, then two firsts, which prompted a celebratory lager :grin: Silly really, isn't it?

Mine needs a good edit, TBH. I started it ages ago, but only got around to writing the last fifteen hundred words or so on the last night of the comp. I literally finished it, read it through, made a few minor adjustments and then posted it the following morning. Thereafter, I went through the various stages of thinking it wasn't a bad effort, to thinking it was crap, and now I'm on to knowing it needs a good edit ::)
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline joneastwood

• Grave Digger
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2007, 06:24:43 PM »
This is actually the first story I ever wrote! I'm very new to writing actually - and i was struck by how experienced and professional everyone sounded.

Oh, Jon!! Life as you knew it is officially over. This win has guaranteed that you are HOOOOOOKED! 

It's true - a new short story has been brewing and is approaching writing point. I'll have to wait until after next week to actually write it, as I need to spend a little more time on a play I'm doing next week. Curse my limited brain!!
Any more competitions coming up...?

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2007, 06:47:15 PM »
I was thinking about doing an anthology challenge over the course of a year or eighteen months, with a similar type of judging system to this comp every month or two, to decide which stories go into the antho (again, similar to the TWI system). There wouldn't necessarily be a cash prize, but I haven't thoroughly thought it through, yet, so anything's possible. It all depends upon how many people would be interested in taking part.

Judging by the turnout for this comp, we could get a really good collection of stories together over the course of a year or eighteen months :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2007, 04:39:07 AM »

And Ed, not that it matters in terms of prizes, but I think you gave me two extra points.  I should have had 3+3+1, since you voted me 3rd, not 2nd.   So I think I have 7 points.   :scratch:

Sorry - missed your post yesterday. Yes, when I first typed out the list I got it wrong, but changed it the following morning. Sorry about that. I hummed and harred which should be 2nd and which 3rd for quite a while, and to be fair, I thought your story deserved more votes overall than it got. It was well written, nicely rounded, and the irony at the end puts the spotlight firmly on the reader himself, which I like. :smiley:

Offline sylvrilyn

• Grave Digger
    • Cuke Luna
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2007, 02:40:49 PM »
Thanks.  I'm glad you liked it.  I'm so delighted I got votes at all, since this was my first foray into the genre.  :)

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2007, 07:26:37 PM »
Vouchers should be with the winners within a couple of days :afro:

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2007, 02:57:43 AM »
 :dance: Are they coming by post, Ed?

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2007, 03:46:17 AM »
No, I thought I'd do a drive-by on your houses with a molotov - the voucher being the wick :afro: Hope you don't mind :/

(Yep - they're coming in the post  :smiley: )

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2007, 04:38:07 AM »
 :D

They can be sent by email, which is why I asked as I've had problems with stuff going into my junk mail folder, and I didn't want to miss them!

Offline PaulH

• Mortician
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2007, 05:44:24 AM »
No, I thought I'd do a drive-by on your houses with a molotov - the voucher being the wick :afro: Hope you don't mind :/

(Yep - they're coming in the post  :smiley: )

Would you mind, Ed? It'll save me a lot of clearing up and the insurance money will come in handy too.  :evil:

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2007, 06:42:34 AM »
Cafe Doom - The 'Explosive' website :evil:

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2007, 12:45:54 PM »
:D

They can be sent by email, which is why I asked as I've had problems with stuff going into my junk mail folder, and I didn't want to miss them!

Yeah - I didn't realise they could be sent via e-mail until I was half way through ordering them. I suppose, when it comes down to it, the only part of the voucher you need to spend them is the number that's printed on them. :smiley:

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2007, 01:15:54 PM »
At least by real mail it's something nice to look forward to. I've already got my shopping basket full of books. I'm treating myself to some Philip K Dick short story collections, and buying my dad a Lee Child audio cassette for Christmas (dad's going blind so can't read books anymore). So thanks Ed! You've helped me sort one pressie out for Christmas :afro:

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2007, 02:53:25 PM »
Cool :afro:

Cafe Doom  |  Competitions and Markets  |  Short Story Competitions and Markets  |  Doom's 3rd Anniversary Comp 2007  |  3rd Anniversary voting thread

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.128 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx