News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

3rd Anniversary voting thread

Started by Ed, October 14, 2007, 08:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamLeeFreak

Quote from: Ed on November 02, 2007, 04:17:40 PM
Quote from: Geoff_N on November 02, 2007, 04:05:59 PM

You did say I wouldn't be able to write a good story on the plane to Spain, and you must be right!

You had that kid tapping the top of your head and kneeing you in the small of your back all the way there, did you? :grin: Every so often taking a break from the tapping to stick his fingers up his nose and then ram them into your ears while still wet and slimy.

You were probably right in the first instance, though - you two were just too brilliant for your own good. Nobody likes a show off, you know :fugly:

Show off is such a smelly word. I like unheralded geniuses better.  :smitten:

Ed

Quote from: SamLeeFreak on November 02, 2007, 04:28:02 PM
Quote from: Ed on November 02, 2007, 04:17:40 PM
Quote from: Geoff_N on November 02, 2007, 04:05:59 PM

You did say I wouldn't be able to write a good story on the plane to Spain, and you must be right!

You had that kid tapping the top of your head and kneeing you in the small of your back all the way there, did you? :grin: Every so often taking a break from the tapping to stick his fingers up his nose and then ram them into your ears while still wet and slimy.

You were probably right in the first instance, though - you two were just too brilliant for your own good. Nobody likes a show off, you know :fugly:

Show off is such a smelly word. I like unheralded geniuses better.  :smitten:

:laugh2: :laugh1:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

I suppose I had better get the cattle prod out and hassle the folks who haven't voted yet. One of them I can't get hold of via e-mail, so I'm not sure what to do about him :scratch:

Only three and a bit hours of proper voting time left, then we're into overtime, and I want to keep that to a minimum.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

PaulH

Don't be downhearted if no one likes your story
I know you don't write simply for the glory
But you do it for the pure creative pleasure
That makes every word your child to treasure
And now the others have stopped reading this poem
Look at who's voted, Geoff, Sam, do you know 'em?
Get your shotgun, shout 'So you thought it was crap?!'
And give them a blast in both their kneecaps!

In all seriousness though, it is TOTALLY subjective, so don't worry - it's not that you can't write, just that your tastes are too rarified and eclectic for the mere mortals among us to share. A bit like savages thinking technology is magic.  :cheers:

Sallyq

Even though I was sure about my first place, I had several possibles that I'd just have happily have put in second and third place, and who knows (yet) who was among those I couldn't vote for? The standard was very high all around, imo, and made voting very difficult.

PaulH

Quote from: Ed on November 02, 2007, 04:48:24 PM
I suppose I had better get the cattle prod out and hassle the folks who haven't voted yet. One of them I can't get hold of via e-mail, so I'm not sure what to do about him :scratch:

Only three and a bit hours of proper voting time left, then we're into overtime, and I want to keep that to a minimum.

Guess all you can do is email again and politely say 'if you haven't voted by X, I'm sorry but you'll be disqualified.' Shame, after actually taking the time to write a story, but it was made clear in the rules. Come on whoever you are, look at your emails! You might be winning and not know it!

jerrag

Wow so many great stories, so few votes to cast!

I guess mine would have to go like this:

1 - Holding back the Years

2- Flogging a Dead Horse

3- It is the Fate

There sure is a lot of talent here on this board!

WRITE ON!
Jerry

Ed

Thanks for your prompt response, Jerry :smiley:

SamLeeFreak

Quote from: PaulH on November 02, 2007, 04:50:07 PM
Don't be downhearted if no one likes your story
I know you don't write simply for the glory
But you do it for the pure creative pleasure
That makes every word your child to treasure
And now the others have stopped reading this poem
Look at who's voted, Geoff, Sam, do you know 'em?
Get your shotgun, shout 'So you thought it was crap?!'
And give them a blast in both their kneecaps!

In all seriousness though, it is TOTALLY subjective, so don't worry - it's not that you can't write, just that your tastes are too rarified and eclectic for the mere mortals among us to share. A bit like savages thinking technology is magic.  :cheers:

But, I do think technology is magic!  :shocked:
In all seriousness though, it's not like I would have voted for my own story. At least not for number one. Maybe number three. All I care about is that at least one person thought it was neat. I'm happy with "neat." It's one step above "well at least it didn't suck."  :grin:

starktheground

I, personally, didn't think any of the stories were bad. I'm not sure (yet) who's story is which, but I'd be proud to say I'd written any of them!! In a way, we're all winners. (I know; it's cliche, but it's also true!!)
:cheers:

Geoff_N

Quote from: starktheground on November 02, 2007, 07:32:38 PM
I, personally, didn't think any of the stories were bad. I'm not sure (yet) who's story is which, but I'd be proud to say I'd written any of them!! In a way, we're all winners. (I know; it's cliche, but it's also true!!)

I love Stark  :cheesy:

starktheground

Quote from: Geoff_N on November 02, 2007, 07:46:59 PM
Quote from: starktheground on November 02, 2007, 07:32:38 PM

I love Stark  :cheesy:
;)

Ed

Where's the group hug smiley when you need one? :grin:

Right - I've PMd and e-mailed each of the folks who have failed to vote (at least one of whom is in the running to be in the top 3), and as yet haven't heard from them. Bearing in mind that if each is disqualified for not voting, the prize fund will drop a band to $150, how much extra time should we give these folks to get their votes in? :huh:

starktheground

When is the competition over anyway? I'm a little confused by the time zone difference (it's about 7 pm here.)

Ed

Quote from: starktheground on November 02, 2007, 07:56:35 PM
When is the competition over anyway? I'm a little confused by the time zone difference (it's about 7 pm here.)

It's two minutes to midnight here, so the comp is supposed to be done and dusted within the next five minutes. :smiley: