News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

3rd Anniversary voting thread

Started by Ed, October 14, 2007, 08:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joneastwood

I thought 24 hours was the figure being bandied about for extra reading time. Seems fair enough to me - after all, its Saturday tomorrow, so people are less likely to be at work and will have more time to read and vote.
Although I have to work tomorrow. And it'll be busy as hell. >:(

starktheground

Part of me does not want to wait a whole 24 more hours to find out who won  :evil:
The other part of me knows it's more important to be fair  :'(

Geoff_N

I must have missed the concluding discussion on giving a week to allow members time to read all the entries. But if only a few are left then it seems the result is just about done.

PaulH

I'm torn. Part of me says, yes, give them another 24 hours. The other part says, no, the rest of us managed to get our votes in when we were asked to. I think I'm leaning toward the more hard-assed side of that internal squabble, regardless of the prizes.

Oh, and I agree with Stark - there wasn't a 'bad' story in there. Very impressed with all of you!

starktheground

Good point, Paul. I don't know how anyone could not have posted their votes by now. It only takes a few hours to read all the stories . . . However, I also realize everyone's not as obsessive-compulsive as I am!!!  ::)

Ed

Just goes to show how subjective judging 'best' story is, though, doesn't it? Eleven of the twenty-two stories have been named as #1 by at least one voter, and the votes that are left to be cast could completely change the top three over all winners of the comp - the voting is that tight. Pretty cool, really. It's a bit of a nail biting finish. :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

starktheground

SamLeeFreak

I can live with another twenty-four hours. That said, people were given plenty of warning when the contest was announced (unless my memory is wonky). True, some people are too busy to read them all in one sitting (or one day) but the time frame was fair.

sandman

1. Of Half Measures
2. Internal Politics
3. Sealed With Blood

Sallyq

I'm stuck between thinking they should have another 24 hours, rather than lose votes and entries, and thinking 'well we all managed it in time'.

But, giving the benefit of the doubt, I did think there was a discussion about having longer to read the entries, so maybe those who haven't voted thought so too. On the other hand, we all read the voting thread which told us exactly how long we did have.

You're the boss, Ed. Do what you think is best.

Ed

Thanks for your prompt response, Sandman :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Shouldn't be too hard on the late voters - some might not have realised they were expected to vote.

Several people didn't include their forum ID with their submission, which was asked for in the comp thread, too. So it's not inconceivable that people missed the part that said they had to vote. The missing ID was more annoying for me, because I had to trawl through over a hundred member profiles to establish whose e-mail addresses married up with what name, in order to see who's voted or not :bangh:

Ed

Sorry, folks, but it's in the rules, and stated at the beginning of this thread:

If the following two members fail to vote by midnight tonight (GMT) their entry will lose all points, and their story will be disqualified from the competition. I have tried to reach both people via PM and e-mail, and have received no response as yet. Could be that the e-mails are getting eaten by their spam filters, I suppose, but you would think they would be stopping in to see how the comp was going :scratch:

Daniel Goodwin - forum name Quolm - last logged in here 15th October 07
Glen Batchelor - forum name BloatedFlesh - last logged in here 19th March 07

One of them could still place, if they both get their asses in gear.

I'll post my top three last.

SharonBell

Good heavens! You'd think they'd be taking a peek every now and then?
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Sallyq

I know I've popped in several dozen times a day to see how things are going. ::)