News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

3rd Anniversary voting thread

Started by Ed, October 14, 2007, 08:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

I know Daniel Goodwin and have sent him an email just in case it is different to the one you have, Ed.

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

starktheground

So, Ed, out of curiosity, when do we get to learn the final results? I'm dying to see who wrote what!  :cheesy:

Ed

Quote from: starktheground on November 03, 2007, 08:16:16 PM
So, Ed, out of curiosity, when do we get to learn the final results? I'm dying to see who wrote what!  :cheesy:

As soon as I've finished typing it up - in a minute :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Well, I got an e-mail from Glen Batchelor/BloatedFlesh to say sorry, he forgot about the comp. Still haven't heard anything from Daniel Goodwin/Quolm, though. I notice both have logged in within the last twelve hours, so I was hoping they would get on and cast their votes. That's obviously not going to happen, though, sadly.

Meanwhile, my votes, in case anybody is interested, are:

1st Place - Internal Politics - Nicely rounded story, well written, absorbing.
2nd Place - Chicken Shack Kid - Again, nicely written, smooth narrative.
3rd Place - Special Collection - Started out thinking the MC an idiot, but revelation of the metaphor at the end provided context.

Others in my final list were:

Razors - engaging, original use of language.
Roast Chicken and Pineapple - nicely written, smooth narrative.
Vulture Lake - for 85% of the story, I thought it would be in my top three.

I'll tot up the final totals in a sec, and then up put a list of the stories, names and points ASAP - another ten minutes, I'd guess. Thanks for your patience, folks :smiley:

Ed

My tally is as follows, but feel free to tally the votes yourselves and tell me if I've totted-up wrong.

Do It Yourself (Sharon Bell Buchbinder)...........................................1 point  (1)

Chicken Shack Kid (Delboy Rutherford)............................................16 points  (3+1+3+3+1+3)

Crack Baby (David Greske)...............................................................1 point  (1)

Dealing Death (PaulH)......................................................................16 points  (5+1+5+5)

Dinner With Father (Jerrag)..............................................................1 point  (1)

Flogging A Dead Horse (Daniel Abelman)..........................................14 points (5+1+5+3)

Holding Back The Years (Sally Quilford)..............................................17 points (3+3+1+1+3+1+5)

Internal Politics (Jon Eastwood).........................................................29 points (5+3+5+5+3+3+5)

It Is The Tale (Bev Vincent)................................................................1 point  (1)

Of Half Measures (Ed Dempster ; ) )...................................................14 points  (1+3+5+5)

Other Hells (RootOfEvil)......................................................................0 points  (0)

Razorblades (Reb)..............................................................................13 points  (3+5+5)

Roast Chicken And Pineapple (delph_ambi)........................................9 points  (3+1+5)

Sealed With Blood (Leatherdyke)........................................................7 points  (3+3+1)

Shade (Adrian White)..........................................................................9 points (1+5+3)

Special Collection (Sylvrilyn).................................................................7 points (3+3+1)

Surviving The Moon (Alex Wilson)........................................................4 points  (1+3)

The Lake (Sam Lee Freak)...................................................................0 points  (0)

The Bushes Scream (Glen Batchelor)....................................................Disqualified

The Day I Turned Blue (Daniel Goodwin)..............................................Disqualified

Vulture Lake (Starktheground).............................................................15 points  (1+5+5+3+1)

4... 3... 2... 1... (Geoff Nelder)................................................................0 points  (0)

Sorry about the lumpy delivery there - somebody was trying to hack the forum while I was posting the results ::)

Ed

I've merged the original posts from the thread back into this thread, so you can all see what went before and check the totals for yourselves  :smiley:

Ed

Oh, and I'm going to unlock the story thread, so you can leave comments on the entries, if you want to :afro:

Anybody checked my figures, yet?

SamLeeFreak

SharonBell

Well, I'm stunned I received ANY votes, so whoever voted for my story: THANKS!

And boy am I ticked that author of one of the stories I voted for didn't bother to show up!!!! :pissed:

And Congrats to JON!! :dance:
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

PaulH

With you there Sharon - one of my vote winners was a DQ as well.

Thanks to all who voted for Dealing Death, it's my sole contribution to the zombie genre, so I'm kinda proud of it!

And big congrats to Jon!  :afro:

rootofevil

Congrats to John and everyone else!  Some good stuff  ;)

Sallyq

Well done to Jon Eastwood.  :cheers: :cheers:That was my absolutely favourite story in the competition so I'm especially delighted it won. Very very well deserved.

And er... have I come second?   :dance: Perhaps I should save the dance till Ed confirms ...  :yes:

Sallyq

Ed, I hate to say this (as it's going to push me to third :D) but Chicken Shack Kid got a 1st place from Alex, so one of those 3s should be a 5.

Ed

Quote from: Sallyq on November 04, 2007, 03:15:41 AM
Ed, I hate to say this (as it's going to push me to third :D) but Chicken Shack Kid got a 1st place from Alex, so one of those 3s should be a 5.

Phew - you're kind of right, but the total was and is right anyway. It was just a mistake on my part when copy typing the list of votes (bleary-eyed, sleep deprived, half-cut, fighting off a hacker :grin: ).

I make it that Jon is in first place, Sally Q in second, PaulH and Delboy share 3rd place. And since, thanks to the two no-shows, the prize fund is lower than it should have been, I won't split the 3rd place monies.

Huge congrats to all the winners, and many thanks to everybody (except the two no-shows) for entering stories and taking part in the comp. I've enjoyed it all very much, and I hope everybody else did, too :smiley: