News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

I've an infected sinus. The antibiotics warning says to avoid zinc, iron and strong sunshine. Damn, the forecast is sunny for tomorrow for my usual Sunday bike ride. I'll get withdrawal  symptoms if I avoid my iron bike. On go the gloves and instead of a cycle helmet I'll be wearing a sombrero!

Geoff

Ed

So what happens if you go out in the sunshine, eat spinach, touch galvanised things, Geoff - will it make you come out in purple-green hives? :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Just wanted to sing the praises of my iphone again. Fantastic piece of kit, that phone - it made a huge difference having it with me on holiday, not least of which because of the 3G internet access. When we first got there, we had trouble finding the hotel in Pisa, so I went into the maps section, which pinpointed our position with GPS precision. Then I put in the hotel name and it plotted us a route to it - complete with all the surrounding road names and aerial photograph. Mental.

At night after eating dinner out on the patio we'd sit around, chat and sing along to some of the 1200 songs I've got on there as mp3s. The kids both took turns playing games on it. And on top of all that I could make and receive phonecalls, texts and e-mails, take and view photographs on it as well. Brilliant. I love it.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

JonP

... and I'm locked into my current contract until next February  :tdoff: :tdoff: :tdoff:

Ed

I've got another few months to run with this one. I think I bought it in about May 08, and signed up for 18 months. When the time is up, I'll more than likely sign up again for the iphone 3G S. It's supposed to be better again. The only complaint I have with the iphones is they're more difficult to get info/music/photos to and from than a standard mp3 player or memory dongle. It doesn't have to be that way, but they seem to be heavily into DRM and are intent on making it difficult to swap music from phone to phone. Bluetooth only works for connecting to hands free kits and stuff like that, and not to other phones. The 3G S might be different, though. I hope so.

Ed

The little darlings have been banished to Granny's house for the night, so we're off to the cinema tonight, to watch the film adaptation of Audrey Niffenegger's (sp?) novel, The Time Traveller's Wife, which we've both read and enjoyed. Looking forward to it.

Made chicken in white wine sauce for tea *hic*, which was lovely. Simple to do as well - just a finely sliced onion, a carrot and a stick of celery fried off with the chicken in a pan. Salt, pepper. Deglaze with a good glug of white wine. Add a clove of garlic, some fresh thyme, pint of chicken stock. Simmer for fifteen minutes, then finish off with a good glug of cream and, if you like your sauces thick, some cornflour. Alternatively, you can add some (about a dessert spoonful) plain flower to the mix during the frying stage, which will thicken the sauce early in the cooking process. Served up with mashed spud and finely cut runner beans and a bottle of Budweiser on the side - lovely.

Got an hour to do a bit of writing before we go out, so I'm going to try and make some headway on my novel. Might just spend the time on doing a flash for the challenge instead, though, if inspiration strikes.

Ed

Best laid plans... my wife isn't feeling well, so the film's off. On the upside, I suppose I can finally get some writing time without interruption  :huh:

Rev. Austin

Woop! Back in internet land!  I missed it!  I've been helping a chum with some of his writing, which is very funny but needs a serious critter's eye on it so I've been trying to bully him into joining here  ;) in other news, he's been lending me loads of books to read, including Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith (which was ACE) and Neuromancer by William Gibson, which I'm looking forward to tucking into.
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

I hope he doesn't live in Belorus, because I might have just inadvertantly told him to fuck off :huh: Had a sudden rash of spammers trying to get in over the last few days.

Finally got to see The Time Traveler's Wife yesterday. I'd rate it 90 to 95% as good as the book, but it doesn't cover as much ground as the novel, and it ends slightly differently from what I remember. Still one of the best films I've seen in the past year or three.

How was your holiday in the Lake District, Delph? Get plenty of painting done? Any nice weather at all? :smiley:

delph_ambi

Had a great time in the Lakes. I usually do acrylics/oils, but had decided to have one final attempt at cracking watercolours this week. I can't do them. Know this for certain now. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the pictures I did in oil pastels, so intend to do more of those. Also managed some pleasing drawings. Weather-wise, there seemed to be an awful lot of water around. Yes, I know it's the Lake District, but familiar paths were under a foot of water, and that's not usual. I don't think the tail end of Hurricane Bill helped matters much. There was sunshine though; enough for us arty types to sit outside and be artistic for hours on end. Good fun. I accidentally left a pencil sharpener at Buttermere, so if anyone's passing that way, maybe they could retrieve it for me. Thanks. Otherwise I'll have to buy a new one, and they cost 19p  :shocked:

Geoff_N

My father-in-law once left a penknife he'd had for 40 years on a bench in Scarborough. I found it on a wall near York Youth Hostel about a year later! No, my dad-in-law hadn't been to York for many years.

So, Delph, look for your pencil sharpener in, say, Carlisle.

Geoff

Geoff_N

My wife yesterday had been to Liverpool Womens Hospital for hormone implant. They make a tiny cut in her tum and slip in a capsule. Usually they put in a suture or just a steri strip. When she arrived on the train back in Chester her wound dripped blood. I said off to casualty, but last time we'd spent 5 hours with no treatment (politics- staff from other hospitals don't like interfering with treatment from another. & they may have thought the bleeding would stop eventually when there was none left!) Gaynor insisted on going home. The bleeding worsened and the bed sheets  soon ended up as tomato soup in the bath. I had a dental appointment but Gaynor insisted I went - would have incurred a £75 fine if I missed it again. Daughter and baby Oliver are staying with us so I ordered her to call emergency services if the bleeding worsened. I leapt on my bike to the dentist. Course I shopped in Boots buying up different kinds of plasters etc. But at the dentist I'd had had an injection. Speech slurred in the shops.  Not till I reached home and found Eleanor, baby and Gaynor laughing at me did I see the left side of my face had drooped like I'd had a stroke or Bells Palsy!

And - there are no mags to read at the dentist. To avoid the spread of swine flu, they said, they removed mags and papers. Hey, what happened to the Escape Velocity mags I'd donated?

Geoff

Ed

If it's more than about half an inch long, you need to get that cut sewn up pretty quickly, Geoff, otherwise it'll be open and weeping for a very long time. I was told there's a window of time when you can stitch a wound and it'll knit together, but after that it won't take, and the cut will gradually heal from both sides to the middle, leaving a bigger scar and taking weeks or months to close, all the time open to infection.

I knew somebody it happened to ages ago, and his wound took over a year to heal, if my memory is accurate. That was probably a bigger incision than Gaynor's, though. His was from an appendectomy.

Ed

Gaan oot dancin, like :dance: Got my tux on, polished my brogues, even got a clip on dickie bow. Doesn't work with me, though - less of the James Bond and more of the bouncer look ::) If yer name's not down, you ain't coming in....

Geoff_N

Even I can look good in a tux. I don't go out often enough to make it worthwhile owning one, so I hire. I do own my cycling clobber, but scared myself in the mirror a few years back so I don't look any more.