News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delph_ambi

Been snowing off and on all day here, in between hailstorms. Melts as quickly as it comes down, luckily. Have to go out in a couple of hours' time to my French class. Brrr... Luckily it's always warm in college.

Geoff_N

Flurries of tiny snow flakes here in Chester too. Strong wind - brrrr

Pharosian

We got hit with 5-6" of heavy, wet snow Friday night. Spent an hour shoveling the driveway Saturday morning. Now I hear we're in for another batch tonight. But we got off lucky compared to the Eastern Seaboard. I can't believe how much snow they got in some places there (and I don't suppose they can, either). Somewhere out east got hit with 36-40" of snow!

Um, has anyone heard from Sharon lately?  ;)  I think she's located near where the main brunt of it hit...

jingold

I'm in Pittsburgh, and we got somewhere between 2-3 feet of snow.  The freaking National Guard are in our area.  The roadways have walls of snow instead of sidewalks.  Couldn't even see my car in the driveway, but still had to dig it out so I could go to work yesterday.  Thousands of people still don't have power.

And we're getting more snow tomorrow night...

Geoff_N

I'll give Sharon a nudge.

I'll be off the web for a couple of days to look after baby grandson. Apparently he was put in his cot for a sleep (just one year old now). When checked on he was standing up and had pulled one side of the curtains to look at the sky! Hah. My kind of kid.

Geoff

SharonBell

Hello there.We had 24" of snow on Saturday--and anticipate 12-13 more Tues/Wed. Epic storms. We lucked out and have not YET lost power. I shoveled out our generator & heat pump so they could "breathe." Then the deck & hot tub, so I could soak my back after all that shoveling.  :2funny:
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Ed

Me = dumbass. Spending too much time concentrating on other people's houses when I should have been watching my heating oil. Ran out this morning, and only noticed when my shower started running cooler and cooler, and cooler ::) Typically, it's happened right in the middle of the present cold snap. Still, at least we've got a wood burner and an immersion, so all is not lost. I reckon it'll be a bit parky getting out of bed tomorrow morning, though :huh:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

Sort-of inspired by Lee's post, I've spent this morning checking for (potential) suitable markets for Grease Paint and Monkey Brains (still trying to think of a new title) as well as querying a couple of publishers...one requested my full novel manuscript in August, the other never replied to my inital query, so I've emailed them both to see what the crack is.  Obviously, I've got my fingers crossed for the folks who asked after the full ms, as they specialize in ebooks and serialized novels, and the format of mine would fit that idea very easily...oooo nervous!

edit: Unbelievable!  Just had to call the DWP up because once again having trouble with my Jobseeker's Allowance, in yet another example of the system being backwards.  I always knew that if you work 16 hours or more a week you're not eligable for it but all of a sudden it turns out that if you earn more in a week than what you'd get from JA (in my case £64) you can't claim it.  WHAT?!  That means I'm best off making sure I only ever do one 4 hour shift at work a week!  How is that any good?  As it stands I'd be better off properly unemployed, rather than spending money on public transport to get to work for what might amount to an extra tenner.  Goddamn it, it makes my blood boil!
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Caz

What makes me laugh about the DWP is that if anyone tries to help themselves, by finding some part time work, they they punish  them for it by cutting their benefit and making them worse off.
What a way to run a country. 
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Rev. Austin

Eggsactly.

Annoyingly, I'm not at work now til next week, but on the plus side this means I can spend tons of time writing!  I also found out a query I sent to a publisher never actually reached them, but they've said 'send another and we'll watch for it' so I hope that works out.

It's been bloody freezing today  :/ -- Brr! So entertained myself by reading and researching Greek plays.  I'm now starting to wonder if the Greeks actually spoke in rhyme haha  :cheesy:

delboy

Bit on the cold side here, too. Some snow, but nothing to write home about.

Feeling a bit mortal and morbid, today. Don't know why. Also missing the writing. Last week I was doing more than a thousand words each morning. Now I'm struggling to find the time to write paragraphs. Still, on the plus side, I'm still loving the story and really looking forward to each new section. The characters are fun and the plot - well, as soon as it shows up I'm sure that'll be good too  :idiot:

Checked my bike last night and my tyre was flat. Sure enough - another puncture. It seems like every time I ride to work the next day a tyre's gone down. I blame all the rubbish on the cycle paths. The roads are kept reasonably clean, the cycle paths never get looked at. I took the tube out and there were already four patches I'd put on there. I had two other spare tubes, both also had multiple patches. Might be time to buy a new tube, although I have put the least patched tube on and, touch wood, it was still inflated this morning.

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

As CD members who are my facebook pals know, my son progenised this morning with a bonny baby girl, Amy. So now I have a baby grandson of one year's age, and a baby granddaughter of less than one day old. My reading public is increasing incrementally!  :cheers:

Geoff

delph_ambi

Bec

Amy was the name of a character in my very first short story. It's a lovely name.  Congrats again! :smiley:

Rev. Austin