News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elay2433

Thanks for the Gaiman/Audible link, Delph, and Happy Halloween.

Happy Halloween, all. Anyone dressing up?

Jerry

elay2433

Hope you all enjoyed Halloween. We did the Wizard of Oz this year.

delboy

Nice one!

I was around early evening for a few trick-or-treaters but then swiftly made an exit and went to rehearse with a 1940's style swing band instead  :dance:

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Love the photo!

My neighbour was out trick or treating with her tiny little son, but they were doing it differently - they were just knocking on the doors of people they knew, and they were handing out treats, rather than demanding them.  :afro:

Geoff_N

I felt sorry for my 3-year-old grandson lastnight cos he'd made a mask to frighten the trick-or-treaters but no one came! We didn't get any either and so had to eat all the chocs ourselves. What is the world coming to?

starktheground

Geoff, congrats!! Healthy size too!  :cheers:

We had a blizzard here in WV due to Hurricane Sandy; 30 inches of snow in a little under 24 hours. I'm from the South, so it was a shock to my system, but we survived the power outage with all our toes and fingers still attached.  :smiley:

Geoff_N

Thanks, Stark.

Del informs me that I'm in (a quick mention) Writer's Forum mag issue #133 cos of a piece by my co-author of How to Win Short Story Competitions. Thanks for the heads up Del.  :dance:

Geoff_N

Sorry Derek, it was the fine DW, who found me in Writers Forum  :bangh:

delboy

That's a relief - I thought I was emailing people during my blank moments as well as going on wild killing sprees.
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

fnord33

Congratulations on the lack of black out emails. I find it makes the killing sprees much less worrisome.

I had a good night. I'm not exactly a fan of Obama, but I am greatly relieved that Romney isn't going to be the next president. I always vote third party. As an Alabama progressive my vote is meaningless. The most productive thing I can try to do is validate a third party. Anyway, it was a good day for civil rights (mostly gay marriage and marijuana decriminalization). Neither impact me, but I'm less embarrassed to be human. Also, I've continued my history of correctly predicting every presidential election in my lifetime (and for the first time in a while I'm happy about it). It will be interesting to see whether the powers that be decide to compromise or bring about the apocalypse.         
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Pharosian

It's OVER!!!  :dance: :dance:

No more stupid political commercials blanketing the airwaves. No more robo-calls from various political interests (five or six a day). No more pollsters knocking on the front door. Everyone will finally take down all their yard signs. Because Ohio was seen as a "battleground state" and my home county as pivotal, we got hit extra hard.

I'm a Libertarian, so I wasn't especially keen on Romney, but I had hopes that he and VP Ryan would bring us back from the cliff of fiscal ruin. It's going to be interesting to see what the new Congress does about the debt crisis now that all their time isn't being taken up with fundraisers and pandering campaigning.

fnord33

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten you lived there. You have my sympathy. I'll never understand why they think spam is going to help their cause. The more you annoy me the less likely you are to get my vote. Luckily we didn't get much of that here. This state has been red for the last 50 years. You could run Jesus Christ (D) against a bucket of anthrax (R) and the people here would vote for the anthrax on the ground that it's a good upstanding Christian. For instance Roy Moore (10 commandments guy) was reelected as well as Smitherman (who was involved with a huge embezzling scandal, which bankrupted the county). They voted against an amendment that would simply remove racist language from our state constitution, but for one that says they won't recognize Obamacare. If they fight Obamacare the state will receive less money for Medicare from the government. So our elderly now have less healthcare than ever. It's the old people who are fighting the hardest to keep themselves from getting benefits. Sorry, end rant.

I consider myself a Libertarian (if anything), but I'll get behind any political system as long as it actually works.       
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Geoff_N

It's a big relief to me and mine that Obama is in the driving seat for a while longer - world seems slightly safer again.

Found myself quizzing my baby grandkids on the details of the BBC's kids TV, The Night Garden. I have a horror story looming where a chap ends up in Igglepiggle's boat and he's looking up at the monstrous blue thing itself. Stuff of nightmares!

delboy

Great documentary here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nw51c

Thank goodness for iPlayer. I was at a work event up in Crewe and forget to set record. Well worth an hour of your time :-)

Derek

Robert B. Parker