gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55861 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 November 21, 2018, 06:54:22 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 284 285 [286] 287 288 289 290 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 695973 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4275 on: February 08, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »

Can science fiction predict the future? Should it? This was a topic at the British Academy of Management this Wednesday in London. I was there as part of a British Science Fiction Association team of three. There were lectures on Smart Cities, Future-Casting, analyses of how businesses in the past tried to predict. In among these academic speeches they turned to me to hear a story. I had been asked by the organiser to read my science fiction short story, Auditory Crescendo, about a shell-shocked soldier who had been fitted with a hearing aid enabling him to hear conversations 4 miles away but nothng in between. I think its a first for a fiction story to enter a symposium at BAM. They made notes as I read aloud (worrying that they might take me seriously!) and applauded at the end. Laughed in the right places. They kept me talking at the end so I guess it went well.
My story is being published by their Futures magazine later this year as a 'Creative prototype' story. I hope I convinced them that us writers do it for fun but that if we can experiment with future possibilities then all for good. There's a more detailed breakdown of my experience at BAM at
http://geoffnelder.wordpress.com

Geoff

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4276 on: February 15, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »

I'll talk to myself a bit more here. Wink

Yesterday my grandson Oliver came home from nursery with a mark on his neck.
"How did you get that mark?"
"What mark? Oh that. Fell over running."
"Why were you running?"
"I was being chased."
"Who was chasing you?"
Looking annoyed that I didn't know - "Crocodiles - of course!"

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4277 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »

Pah -- crocodiles! It's the hippo's you've got to watch out for rolleyes afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #4278 on: February 16, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »

Hi, folks!  I need to get more in the habit of stopping by here, but it is nice to just read about the highs and lows in everyone's world.   smiley  Been a busy few months for me and March seems just as hectic.  I'll be having an author and artist reception with my friend Jill at a local book seller's.  Seeings how I'm ridiculously shy, this can either end fabulously or badly.  At least I have time to prepare. 

Ed, I hope you feel better soon!  My hubby refuses to see the doctor but he's had a horrible cough and congestion lingering few almost a month now.  It started out with fever, etc.  He's so stubborn.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4279 on: February 18, 2013, 02:37:07 AM »

Girl's manuscript published after 400 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-21492230

I've got a couple that have been subbed out there almost that long!

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4280 on: February 18, 2013, 07:09:33 AM »

smiley

marc_chagall
« Reply #4281 on: February 27, 2013, 08:14:01 AM »

Have started writing a full length biography of my mum. Thought at first: how hard can it be? Ask her what happened. Write it down. Easy.

Not easy.  nope
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4282 on: February 27, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »

I started on one for my dad cos he was born in poverty as the eldest of 11 kids, was sent to the Stratord-upon-Avon Workhouse before being transferred to a Cheltenham orphanage, even though his parents were alive - but destitute. He illustrated one of the World's first scifi magazines, was a trade union regional leader and sooo many more talents than me. Come on dad what happened to you in the war? I'd rather not talk about it. And the same with the workhouse, orphanage, etc. On the other hand every time I visited him until he died, he'd let slip another interesting snippet. Maybe I have enough - dunno.
Good luck Delph with yours.

marc_chagall
« Reply #4283 on: February 27, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »

Frustrating, isn't it. These people have such fascinating lives, but when they're gone, they're gone. The more harrowing the tale, the harder it is to prise it out. Understandable, but still frustrating. There's only so much I can research on the internet - and all that stuff's 'out there' anyway. The important stuff is everything that you can't find through research.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4284 on: February 27, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »

Speaking of odd things happening to relatives I had a panicky phone call from my sis, who lives in Cheltenham. She found out that last week a woman in her mid-fifties was found dead on her local bus. Driver had called an ambulance after he couldn't wake her. My sister doesn't like the idea that she might have sat next to her - she had been on that same bus that day. Then she discovers that the woman was called Brenda Nelder. A rare enough surname. Yes it was our cousin. To be honest I don't recall her at all, nor did my sister, which made her all the more upset. Brenda's dad died of a heart attack years ago and she became a recluse afterwards - yet ironically, she has a facebook page - still alive. We all have to die, it's part of the package, and maybe Brenda went peacefully although can you have a painless heart attack? I want to think so. Maybe she was looking out of the bus window at clouds in the sky - then went to join them.

I'm going to die under a beautiful and active nymphomaniac...

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4285 on: February 27, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »

I'm going to die under a beautiful and active nymphomaniac...

Like Richard Pryor's father? I recall Richard Pryor saying that his father came and went at the same time...

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4286 on: February 27, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »

Succinctly put  Wink

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4287 on: February 27, 2013, 06:10:47 PM »

It doesn't seem right that so much is lost when a person dies -- all the amazing skills they had, the memories, the stories. It happens all the time without anybody noticing. Such a waste.

Good luck with your mum's biography, Delph, and with your dad's one, Geoff, if you ever get it started smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4288 on: March 08, 2013, 12:10:40 PM »

Blimey, where is everyone?
Just returned from an Internet-free walking holiday in the Lake District.
My bedtime reading is Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and I wanted to say that there is a REVERAND WAYNE in it!!
There's also  REV WAYNE's Pearly Gates.
You're famous, Rev!!

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4289 on: March 11, 2013, 04:50:39 AM »

Hi Geoff.

I'm still here  cheers

Recently bought myself a great little device - it's called a Neo by Alphasmart. It's old technology - basically it's a simple word-processer with a real nice feeling keyboard and a tiny display. Couple of batteries give it 700+ hours of charge, instant boot-up...and less than £40.  In the time it takes my lappy to boot-up (anything between 20 and 30 mins) I've knocked out a few hundred words on this. Best of all no internet distractions, which is always my downfall. Plus unlike my lappy it works on battery power and is very light so I can stick it in my bag/in the car and get a few hundred words done much more often than before. Once a piece is finished you just transfer the files across to the PC for further editing, revision, printing. I'm hoping this ups my output to a decent level. Have just finished a 5k short so it seems to be working so far ;-)

Getting some cycling miles in, too  afro

Kind regards,
Derek

Robert B. Parker
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 284 285 [286] 287 288 289 290 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx