gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55869 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 June 17, 2019, 05:10:25 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 298 299 [300] 301 302 303 304 ... 324 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 844596 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4485 on: January 09, 2014, 04:17:08 AM »

Some early mornings are okay for writing for me though by the time I've responded to overnight emails, tweets and facebook, it's not early any more. I do most of my writing in the lounge with a keyboard on my lap with the screen in an open cupboard while the TV is on next to it. Wife's watching medical dramas and I'll look over if comedy shows are on but I find it easy to write and edit while TV is in the background. My being hard of hearing helps to muffle the TV. My best writing is on writers' holidays in Greece, Cyprus, Wales, and even just a short bike ride away in cafes.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4486 on: January 09, 2014, 05:09:04 AM »

I read somewhere that it takes 30 days to create a habit. If you can do something (such as writing first thing) for 30 days then it'll become something that you automatically do rather than something that you think about doing and end up forcing yourself to do sometimes.

I'm not sure...but I think there's something in this. For a long time I've got up in the morning, made a coffee, and spent a half an hour flicking through the various websites and forums that I'm a member of, checking new messages, replying etc. Then I go to work.

It was just a habit I got into.

This last week, I've got up, made a coffee, opened Word, and have written.

That said, every single day, just before getting out of bed I lie there thinking I don't know what to write today. Today is the day where this good run breaks. But so far (touch wood) once I get started the words have flowed. To the extent that a few lunchtimes I've rushed to the laptop and typed some more! I reckon if I can keep this going for several more weeks then the habit will be formed.

That's the theory anyway :-)

Cheers
Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
marc_chagall
« Reply #4487 on: January 09, 2014, 09:54:45 AM »

That's the way to do it. I spend far too long on facebook/checking emails etc before writing a word creatively. I really should make myself write something first. It's something I've been vaguely thinking about doing for months, but vague thinking is useless.

I'll give it a go tomorrow. It probably won't work, as I'll be checking emails before I've woken up properly and remembered I'm supposed to be writing.

We'll see. Even if I just do my daily haiku before anything else, it'll be a start.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4488 on: January 09, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »

Some of you will remember a short horror of mine that was in the crit group here. Chicken (as in chickening out) was based on a double suicide pact where two blokes tandem parachuted, but one changed his mind on the way down. The story also pandered to my passion of rooftops. The story after a few rejections was accepted by The Horror Zine for its July publication. No money but the editor, Jeani Rector, somehow persuades luminary horror writers like Ramsey Campbell to contribute. Good exposure then. Anyway thanks for the crits on that one - it helped smiley

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #4489 on: January 09, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »

Nice one, Ed.

Drat, Delph, I should be typing this later. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

DW Cheesy

marc_chagall
« Reply #4490 on: January 10, 2014, 03:12:57 AM »

So I got up this morning, full of good intentions. Last night I'd readied a word document in order to write, or at least start to write something first thing this morning. So what do I do? Switch on the computer and immediately play three games of solitaire in a row. That is NOT writing. BAD DELPH. Realised what I was doing, shut the game down, opened the word doc. At this point, heard movement upstairs - daughter getting up. This means she'll be down in a few minutes and we'll be chatting and so much for any writing. So instead, I dashed off a quick morning haiku, which takes all of two minutes, and then opened firefox.

This writing first thing is harder than I imagined. Daughter goes back to Corsica on Monday. I'll make another attempt to write STORIES before playing solitaire or anything else on Tuesday.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4491 on: January 10, 2014, 03:22:36 AM »

Bad Delph!

It's not easy forming these new habits, is it? I think I'll hit the wall sometime soon, but so far it's going okay. I've sacrificed a cycling forum and a guitar forum...but those things just eat time anyway - and for what?

Cracking news, Geoff. Don't think I read that one but it sounds like a great premise!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4492 on: January 10, 2014, 03:42:09 AM »

Hey the Del method works. Got up at 7 and after putting on the coffee and chucking the correct muesli's the right bowls, shouted wife that she'll be late, I turned Word on but NOT the broadband switch on the wall (bothers me illogically that neighbours and roamers can share my BT Broadband - even though I do the same when visiting elsewhere). I started up my new short - a horror based on a Sufi pirate priest allocated to a raiding boat party and trying to talk them out of throwing overboard the crew of a stopped ancient tug. The captured includes a nun taking relics to Mombasa. Pirates start getting bad luck and thow relics and talisman(s) over the side until losing patience the nun is thrown out too. Twist in tail is that later, the nun reappears - much to her surprse... and so it goes. It's for my SFF writers group. A new story a month. DId 1000 words on it before wife came downstairs complaining she's late and I hadn't called her enough times. Given me chores to do while she's at work. I'll do them because I don't have a proper job. Still got those emails to check, twitter mentions to mention back, Cafe Doom to pop in - oh, I'm here - confused cos we both have lost our voices and feeling rough. We've been using sign language at each other, probably why she didn't get my signalling from the bottom of the stairs for her to get out of bed...

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4493 on: January 10, 2014, 05:46:19 PM »

There's a fairly big writers forum called My Writers Circle and their mods kindly invited me to have a page on their bookshelf to showcase my books. I'd be happy if you pop along to see it at
http://bit.ly/KQm6lK

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4494 on: January 11, 2014, 04:32:43 AM »

This morning was tough - the writing didn't flow - plus my cold/cough has come back with a vengeance. Doctors round here are (apparently) calling it the 100 day cough. I thought I'd got rid of it, but just like the creature in a bad monster flick, you think it's dead and then it rises up behind you for one last slimey onslaught... Anyway, I managed to get the word quota done before heading off for a swift journey around the web. Been focusing on my finger-picking guitar these last few weeks. Here's my first attempt at Merle Travis's Guitar Rag ( http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12639313 ) if anyone would like to listen.

Robert B. Parker
marc_chagall
« Reply #4495 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:36 AM »

Nice one, Del (the music, not the cough).
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4496 on: January 11, 2014, 08:35:33 AM »

Loved the rag, Del and you didn't cough once. I tweeted it.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4497 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:30 AM »

Cheers Geoff! I did actually reach #3 in the Soundclick charts - I reckon if I'd have syncronized all my posts about the Guitar Rag then I might have even been a chart-topper! Next time  dance And although the Soundclick Acoustic chart isn't exactly the hit parade, #1 in the charts is #1 in the charts!

Robert B. Parker
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #4498 on: January 16, 2014, 06:18:21 AM »

nice chuckle at 2:20
d
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4499 on: January 16, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »

Good to see you D.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 298 299 [300] 301 302 303 304 ... 324 Go Up Print