News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I think it's probably one of those days when bonfires were lit to celebrate something pagan that politicians hijacked in order to make common folk revile an enemy of the state.

You've probably read about it, but Guy Fawkes was the chief conspirator in the gunpowder plot, where a bunch of rebels tunnelled under the houses of parliament, planning to set off a few kegs of gunpowder under the seats of our learned and muchbeloved members of parliament. They very nearly succeeded, but something or somebody went awry and they all ended up getting hung until nearly dead, then their guts were drawn out while they panicked and struggled, before having each limb tied to a horse by a length of rope. They'd slap all four horses and send them off in different directions, rending the body into four or five bits. Not content with that, the government encouraged the common folk to burn effigies of Guy on the anniversary and set off fireworks, and we're still doing it nearly 300 years later. Weird really, when you stop and think about it :scratch:

When the kids were young we used to make the effort and do the whole bonfire and fireworks thing at home, much to the chagrin of our neighbours -- we're surrounded by thatched cottages, and the owners get very twitchy. Those things burst into flames at an alarming rate and once started you can't put out the fire because the water runs off without ever saturating the fuel. It's generally ok as long as you're careful where you point the rockets. We usually go to an organised display these days. My wife works at a nearby castle estate, and they do a big display every year, so we go to that. Any excuse for a night out :afro:

We usually burn the Christmas tree as well, but not on any particular night. I like lighting a fire in our woodburner on Christmas morning and throwing on all the wrapping paper -- the colours in the flames look amazing.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

elay2433

QuoteThey very nearly succeeded, but something or somebody went awry and they all ended up getting hung until nearly dead, then their guts were drawn out while they panicked and struggled, before having each limb tied to a horse by a length of rope. They'd slap all four horses and send them off in different directions, rending the body into four or five bits. Not content with that, the government encouraged the common folk to burn effigies of Guy on the anniversary and set off fireworks, and we're still doing it nearly 300 years later. Weird really, when you stop and think about it scratch.

:shocked: Yikes! Weird, yes. And gruesome. A different world back then.

Geoff_N

Ironic that you'd talk about Guy Fawlkes day. I was born on November 5 and so it was that everyone in the UK celebrated my birthday with bonfires and fireworks.

If I'd been born on November 4th back then in 1947 I would have been eligible for German National Service. Why? Because I was the first baby born in the Hannover British Military Hospital across the road from the German hospital. At least, that's what I was told and believed all these years until I received an email this week. A woman found the Hannover BMH website on which it stated the above but she was born on October 6th 1947 at the British Hospital. However, her mum was too ill to move and so she was born before the maternity unit was ready. Even so, when I was born, my mum couldn't feed me and they had no baby milk, so I was fed on sugared water for two days. Probably why I have sugar cravings now!

delboy

QuoteA far cry from several years back when the Halloween comp was running about this time. I still love this place though, and will always pop in from time to time to see what's going on

Yep, that's about the size of it  :(

Been a strange year writing-wise. Started the year all guns blazing, writing every morning before doing anything else, and raced through most of the first draft of a novel before realising I'd picked the wrong viewpoint. So I started again and redid most of it, but somewhere along the way my enthusiasm tailed off and draft # 2 lies unfinished and uninspiring and uninteresting. Kind of sad, really.  :/

On reflection it's been a combination of things that caused this. Back in the late spring early summer I was doing loads of 'dep' gigs for various different bands and I was spending all my time learning songs and solos and practicing to stay on top of my game and generally having to spend all my energy on that. But that was combined with a poor set of book-choices for my reading. I'm always inspired by good books yet this year my reading has been hugely uninspiring - having to fight my way through books I'm not enjoying. That meant I wasn't getting the inspiration boost I needed. That's still happening to a certain extent and I wonder if I shouldn't start giving myself permission to throw certain books out half read (similar thing happened with movies, too - love going to the flicks, but can't remember when I last saw a really good film). Allied to both of these conditions was the old work chestnut. We've all had to go through an assessment process this year to see if we're up to the mark and that took loads of pre-work and nervous energy and created loads of stress and even without that pressure the work screw continues to be ever tightened. I've found myself going to bed earlier and earlier just to keep the energy levels up needed to keep going.

Still, I'm feeling the itch again... might have to rustle up a short story and try and sell it. You know, it's been so long I have no idea about how to go about such things any more. Weird.
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

I know what you mean, Del.

I'm currently in a position where I'm devoting all my energies to my business. I'm often working from 7am until midnight on one thing or another. In some ways I enjoy it, because it's interesting and diverse, but in others it's utterly draining. It's one of those 'make hay while the sun shines' type deals, though. I can't not do it.

I've come to the conclusion that the periods when I wrote what I consider to have been my best stuff was when I was bored witless all day every day in my life before this business. What I'm hoping is when this business comes to an end, and it will, within the next year or so, I'll get my creative juices flowing again, and that hiatus will have left me refreshed on the writing front to the extent where I'll suddenly find myself writing really well. Maybe that's asking too much, but hopefully I'll at least be in a position where I can devote a lot more time to this place and we can breathe a little more life into getting the forum thriving again :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

My other distraction these days is photography, which I'm thoroughly enjoying:

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

elay2433

Nice photos, Del. What is that dropping into the water  in the first one?

QuoteI'm always inspired by good books yet this year my reading has been hugely uninspiring - having to fight my way through books I'm not enjoying.

I know what you mean there. I've always got a book (or two) going, but most that I've read over the last few years have been uninspiring. I gave myself the right to abandon a book if it's crap, though I've suffered through many that were mediocre, too. Suffering through Under the Lake right now. In all fairness, it's an old book, so it's dated. But I'm half way through and I don't think I'll go much further. This is one that Stephen King blurbed as having given him nightmares. I can't imagine why. I can pretty much guess how this one will finish up, and I've seen every plot turn a mile off before we get there.  Leaves you with a feeling like:  :scratch: This sucks, how did it ever get published. Which I suppose should be inspiring in another way. I mean, if they'll publish this, surely I have a chance, right? But that's not how I'm left feeling. When I get a good book though, one of those I can't stand to put down, I feel inspired (if perhaps also intimidated). It makes me want to write, though I haven't been doing much of that. Still, even though my output has dribbled to near nothing, I can't stop the thinking, and plotting and the desire to churn out a good story. Keep at it.

Ed

Yep, makes you wonder whether the authors of some blurbs ever actually read the book or just glanced at the synopsis. I do also wonder whether something like Stephen King's imagination may fill in the gaps when the writing falls short on a good concept, though. I also think we lose much of the irrational fear we have as children as we grow older, so things that would have affected us when young no longer hold any power now we are older. Maybe some of us get desensitised while King retains his fear. Can't say I've ever been a fan of his writing TBH, but given his writing's mass appeal I think it's more likely something I'm lacking as a reader, similar to the lack of appreciation I suffer when reading literary fiction. I liked Cell, though :scratch:

The last good engaging book I read was Wilbur Smith's Vicious Circle. I was amazed by how graphically violent it was in places, and surprised at my reaction to it. It was pretty disturbing. There was a few parts where I thought the turn of events was awfully convenient, but apart from that it was good. I read two or three other books on holiday that I can't even remember the names of, but I battled through them. Wait -- one was Alastair Maclean's Partisans. Boy, but that was dull. Classic case of Sunday afternoon TV type writing. Completely lacking in dramatic tension. Everything our heroes attempted to do went swimmingly. No setbacks, nobody we liked got killed or even badly hurt, and it all just bimbled along until the writer finally drifted off to finish through abject boredom. Terrible.

Love the photos, Del. Beutiful still water in the bottom pic with a perfect reflection. Well done.

I used to be seriously in to photography. Even took a City and Guilds course at night school to pursue it. Had my own darkroom, developed my own film, made b+w and colour prints, the lot. I wasn't particularly skilled with the lens, though. Recently bought a digital SLR, but find I can take better pictures with my phone, annoyingly. ::)

Geoff_N

Great photos, Del.
I've been away all week on a writing holiday in Snowdonia. I cycled the 50 miles there from Chester with bulging panniers including laptop. I spent mornings cycling around the Betws-y-coed area and afternoons in the guest house sunroom writing, reading and chatting to others. Marvellous. The strong winds brought me back this morning even pushing me up the slopes of the Clwyd Hills.
A couple of photos from my trip are on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/geoffnelder

elay2433

Built a pneumatic groundbreaker for the front-yard-haunt this Halloween. Turned out pretty good.

http://youtu.be/HSFmNuIazug

elay2433

Here's another look at the groundbreaker from a bit further back.

http://youtu.be/tUC8vvfmXFI

Ed

That's really good :afro: We ought to do more for Halloween. All we managed this year was a few carved pumpkins. It's way more fun to scare the bejesus out of the neighbour's kids with pneumatic zombies. That's way cooler.

Geoff_N

elay2433

Thanks guys. It's a lot of fun. It has helped reinvigorate Halloween in our neighborhood a little, too. Used to get half a dozen or so trick-or-treaters. Now we're up in the hundreds.

Geoff_N

I was asked to write a short story for a NightEyes wolf-related anthology. I found out today that it had been accepted. They liked my parody of Little Red Riding Hood told from the point of view of the wolf and how he was misundertood and that the granny was the evil one.

Now the editors want a second story from me, also wolf, but a science fiction! That's hard. Planet of the Wolves? Luckily my weird brain has thought up one but I'm not convinced. If anyone has a SF / wolf story I can pinch, please pass it on!