gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55869 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 June 17, 2019, 04:56:01 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 ... 324 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 844571 times)
Caz
Critter

« Reply #810 on: February 15, 2009, 02:28:40 PM »

The radio's picked up Kerrang and abXtreme...crisis over, well sort of, Planet rock's better...rats!

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #811 on: February 15, 2009, 04:09:16 PM »

Been listening to Thin Lizzy and Steve Earle today. Picked up a gig for St Patrick's Day so having to brush up on my Galway Girls and Whisky Jars.

Dere

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
JonP
Critter

« Reply #812 on: February 15, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »

Ah, I love Thin Lizzy. "Tonight, there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town ..." Like where? The town hall? The cinema? Asda? No? Well, try the jail then ...

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #813 on: February 15, 2009, 05:07:06 PM »

Not keen on rock music myself - I prefer the funkier stuff on the whole, although I quite like The Script and other stuff that doesn't fit that description as well.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #814 on: February 16, 2009, 03:57:06 AM »

Ah, I love Thin Lizzy. "Tonight, there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town ..." Like where? The town hall? The cinema? Asda? No? Well, try the jail then ...

grin

Absolutely agree! One of my pet hates is lazy lyrics. There are so many great songs that are let down by lyrics and rhymes just shoe-horned in. I remember seeing a Paul Simon documentary where he said sometimes he'll wait for a year or more before finishing a song whilst he waits for inspiration to get just the right lyrics. That attention to detail certainly shows in his work.

Not keen on rock music myself - I prefer the funkier stuff on the whole

75% of my listening is jazz. But the other twenty-five is made up of classical and country and rock and rock'n'roll and blues and r'n'b and, in fact, everything save for opera and pop. I still love listening and playing along to the rock music of my youth - Thin Lizzy, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, UFO, Hendrix (albeit I missed him by a few years) - I guess it all makes me feel young(ish) again, plus for guitar students the lead playing of that era is generally a lot more melodic (and hence easy to learn and remember) than what passes for soloing these days.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #815 on: February 16, 2009, 11:12:49 AM »

I'm an opera  buff bluff, but I admire the  carefully crafted lyrics of some pop songs. For example These Foolish Things (and I like Bryan Ferry's  rendition) lyrics by Eric Maschwitz is brilliant. Another sung by Bryan Ferry is Smoke Gets in your  Eyes with literary clever lyrics too.

Geoff

delph_ambi
« Reply #816 on: February 16, 2009, 11:41:02 AM »

I'm a total opera nut, can't bear jazz and country, listen to lots of indie rock. Decent lyrics / libretto are vital, and can pop up all over the place. I'm always disappointed that one of my favourite bands (Muse) tends to have such banal lyrics.

I do love the deeply pretentious lyrics of seventies prog rock. "Straight light searching all the meanings of the song, Long last treatment of the telling that Relates to all the words sung, Dreamer easy in the chair that really fits You". Yeah. That sort of thing.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #817 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »

I find it hard to believe Paul Simon agonised over any of the lyrics I've heard from him, especially on the Graceland album scratch

"You Can Call Me Al" - I rest my case

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #818 on: February 17, 2009, 02:28:09 AM »

Looks like a quiet morning on the internet - I've checked my e-mails and visited the three sites I regularly look at, and there's officially nothing going on. This is the only post I've written.

I hate months when the crit group isn't operating. It's altogether too quiet  undecided

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #819 on: February 17, 2009, 03:12:27 AM »

I've just picked up a couple of rejections from stories I felt pretty good about. Going through one of those periods when I simply don't think I'm good enough at this writing lark. Yet I also know that refusing to give up is one of the required traits of the successful writer. T'aint easy. Sigh.

Derek

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #820 on: February 17, 2009, 03:53:45 AM »

You're on the wrong sites, Ed. Plenty happening on t'internet. Quiet here though - that's true. But that's not necessarily a problem. Often this site is an oasis of calm when many of the others are full of the most absurd squabbling.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #821 on: February 17, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »

Yeah, I can't be doing with all that stupid bickering - life's way too short. Better deathly quiet than raucous any day.

Del - keep plugging away. Perfectly good stories get rejected for all sorts of reasons, so don't beat yourself up about it at all.

JonP
Critter

« Reply #822 on: February 17, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »

What Ed and delph said, del ^^^

Some of my favourite stories are still out there, searching for homes. The important thing is to keep chucking 'em out. Make 'em work for their living.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #823 on: February 19, 2009, 04:28:28 PM »

if YOU feel your stories are worthy and they've  squeaked through crit groups like CDs then keep sending them out. There's loads of reasons why mags and anthos don't take a story several of which  are not a reflection on the story's qualities but on what has just been accepted, space left in the mag for a  particular length, other balances etc.

Keep sending, sending, sending.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #824 on: February 20, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »

Urf - I have to work tomorrow. Five days a week is sufferable, but six is unbearable. Thankfully I don't have to do it very often.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 ... 324 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx