gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55868 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 April 18, 2019, 11:00:04 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 ... 324 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 793875 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #885 on: March 26, 2009, 03:47:27 AM »

Urgh - it must be a slow news day. So far this morning on BBC Breakfast News (national) we've had the presenters talking at length about one of the presenter's garish blouse that she wore yesterday. The main news story appears to be about local councils using anti terror legislation to prosecute people for the heinous crimes of littering and dog fouling. And the backup story is a reporter reporting from a school where the pupils have got their hands on a video camera and are trying their hand at... guess what - yes, reporting. They've got nothing more to report than the main news, but still they continue.

What gets me is the bad news the media usually reports is a mix of grindingly, desperately horrible stuff, and important stuff like the state of the economy, but when it's a slow news day, the topics they choose to report don't measure up in terms of importance - they report trivia and they make news to fill the gap Cheesy

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Caz
Critter

« Reply #886 on: March 26, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »

There was an article in the paper today, it caught my eye as it was about Raymond Chandler, even I've heard of him and I'm no great fan of detective fiction. So I'm reading about his life and the stories he wrote when a few quotes for his books came up, it was this one that made me burst out laughing,  "From thirty feet away looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away."  Now that's what I call funny. What a cool guy cool

BTW, congrats Stark. She's a cute little thing.

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
JonP
Critter

« Reply #887 on: March 26, 2009, 04:26:37 PM »

Raymond Chandler is a genius. Forget genre - he is a fantastic writer, full stop.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #888 on: March 26, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »

That quote made me laugh out loud when I read it to my wife, but she didn't see anything funny about it scratch  Maybe it's something men see that women don't?

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #889 on: March 26, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »

I thought it funny too.

Before the moment passes, my congrats to Jon was over his winning the poetry section and coming #2 in the short fiction section of the first leg of the Whittaker Prize this week.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #890 on: March 27, 2009, 04:03:03 AM »

Ah, now I understand what you were on about afro

Congrats, Jon - well done smiley

JonP
Critter

« Reply #891 on: March 27, 2009, 04:40:52 AM »

Thanks, Ed! Although I fear I may have peaked too soon. There are, after all, eight more rounds to go ...

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #892 on: March 27, 2009, 05:13:37 AM »

I'm at my daughter's with baby Oliver on one knee, Cafe Doom on the other. Baby is happy gurgling... ah, it was me.

Geoff

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #893 on: March 27, 2009, 05:55:06 AM »

Raymond Chandler is a genius. Forget genre - he is a fantastic writer, full stop.

Seconded.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #894 on: March 27, 2009, 02:05:34 PM »

Thanks everyone! 

DW: Yep, about to post my flash now!  afro

Ed: Let's just say she's well worth it!!!

Geoff: Is this your first grandbaby? That must be great; you get all the cuddling without the huge bags under your eyes from lack of sleep!  grin

Jon: Congrats!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #895 on: March 27, 2009, 03:53:11 PM »

Baby grandson is 7 weeks and going to be a cyclist. His legs whir like mine - bandy and in all directions.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #896 on: March 28, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »

Don't forget to spring forward tonight at 1am afro

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #897 on: March 31, 2009, 02:58:34 PM »

I'm leaving my wife.
Not for  the first time.
This time it's the UKAuthors annual workshop / break to Cyprus. Paphos area. I'll be continuing the judging of Whittaker Prize entries as well as writing and critiquing each others' stories. (not nearly as rigorous as Borderlands Boot Camp). I'm  looking forward to renting a bike and exploring western Cyprus - where Aphrodite skinny dipped, and Akamas peeping tommed.
It won't be easy but I'll try and stay out of trouble.
And I hope my key fits the door lock  when I return.

Geoff
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:00:08 PM by Geoff_N » Logged

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #898 on: March 31, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »

Nice one Geoff! Have a good time. I've come to the conclusion that this writing lark is best served by having nothing to do but writing, so the retreat sounds wonderful.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #899 on: March 31, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »

Would have liked to have joined you, Geoff, but work is as predicted - busy, still. Shouldn't be for much longer, though. Would have been ideal if it'd been in a couple week's time.

Hope you have a great time smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 ... 324 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx