News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

This is just a place to touch home and share any daily trivia you don't feel warrants a new thread. Things like what you're up to today, what you hope to achieve, what you did today, how you got on.

Me? It's just Monday morning again :grin: My eyes are firmly fixed on that Friday evening, but it seems an awfully long way away right now. Lots to do on site, lots to do at home.

So what does your day hold for you? :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delph_ambi

Good morning! Today I will be working on a couple of ongoing art projects, continuing discussions with my editor about my forthcoming poetry collection, trying to get an idea for the story contest here, editing a few other stories, writing at least one haiku and another poem, giving a couple of violin lessons, try to get on top of some basic housework, errr... that's enough I think  :shocked:

delboy

Yes... Monday morning. Sigh. The beginning of another week of working for The Man and wondering if this is all there is. I'm a few thousand words into a new short story tentatively called "Down In The Basement At Midnight" and I'm hoping to find half an hour at lunchtime to do a bit more on that. But I also need to go and buy a cheap sweater as cycling to work this morning I was a tad cold. Brrrrr.

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Sallyq

Hubby is off out for the day, so I'm going to be working on some new story ideas - as in trying to find some ideas rather than those I've already got! There's nothing that's shouting 'Write me!' at the moment.

Walker

Had a great day yesterday when my son, his friend and I got out for a quick round of golf. The temp here was about 26c and sunny, nice warm breeze and to top it all off I shot the best score. I'm glad I was able to get out with my son one more time as he's so busy with university he seldom gets out now. An excellent day and some good exercise.
Today I'm working alone, which I like, and hope to spend some time during my lunch hour to write a bit. Thank god I don't have a window in front of me because it's going to hit at least 26c again today and sunny. A duplicate of yesterday.

On a separate, boasting note, regarding my son, he found out last week that he's been selected for another scholarship award, so this Thursday at the presentation he's going to recieve 2 awards. We're so damn proud of him! 
:dance:
I'll never, ever complain about paying his way through university if he keeps on working as hard as he is so far. He's a great infulence on his younger brother and sister, who incidentally have also started getting ver good grades. Come to think of it, I think I've bragged about all my kids here before. Sorry if I have. I can't help it.
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

starktheground

Quote from: Walker on October 22, 2007, 08:51:33 AM
Come to think of it, I think I've bragged about all my kids here before. Sorry if I have. I can't help it.

Don't apologize for bragging about your kids! I'd be proud too. I just hope my son does that well. He's only five now and **BRAG ALERT** he wrote his first sentence the other day! It was "I have a dog." (He doesn't have a dog. Think he's trying to hint at something?)

My day: Well, it's rainy and dismal and I'm trying very hard not to slink back into bed for a couple more hours sleep before I go to work. I've just upped my writing schedule from ten pages a day to twenty to meet a personal deadline, and I know sleeping would interfere with that. (Must be the weather conspiring against me again!) ::)

Have a good day everyone!!!

SamLeeFreak

I went to the chiropractor today. Note to my fellow writers: our posture sucks. If we use laptops, it sucks harder. Do yourselves a favor and see a Chiropractor at least once a year, twice if you can swing it. Last time I went was shortly before getting married and you would not BELIEVE the noises my neck made! This time my neck was fine, but my back needed a good crack.  :afro:

SharonBell

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Ed

Evening, all :smiley: Nice to see so many people sharing their news. You really are mutli talented, aren't you, Delph? Yours sounds like a busy but quite pleasant day - I hope it all went well.

Sally - me too, re the nothing screaming 'write me'. I've been writing the same damn story now for three or four weeks, and I just can't seem to get the words down - can't decide where the plot is going and which of the characters I want to turn bad :scratch:

delboy - I know what you mean about the wondering if that's all there is. Can't remember who it was who said it, but the phrase is, "A man can bear anything but a succession of ordinary days." Something like that, anyway, and I seem to get waaay too many ordinary days for my liking :grin: Each year I start off deciding to do more with my weekends - go on short breaks, take up a new hobby, get out more, etc. But come the weekend I like to be at home and relax, especially during the summer. The way I see it, I spent all this time and money building this damn house, so it seems only right I should spend some time enjoying it, too :afro:

Good to hear your nipper is doing well at college, Walker - you have a right to be proud. Sounds like you did a good job of raising him, and I'm sure your support means a lot to him :smiley:

Stark - my tip is to write with a big black marker pen and use double spacing on the lines - you'll get through those twenty pages in no time :afro:

Sam - I keep meaning to try a chiropractor instead of my osteopath - I'm not convinced he's doing me any good. Doesn't matter where the pain is in my back, he just does the same thing and the last couple of times I've come out feeling no better. Neck noise - argh - I hate that crunching. I keep thinking another inch or two and that'd be me up shit creek :shocked:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

SamLeeFreak

It's normal to be scared, I get nervous too when he does my neck! The key is to make yourself relax when the time comes and find a good chiropractor. I believe that mine works primarily with athletes, which is great because it seems like he's seen everything *lol*
I came to him with what I thought were the most obscure symptoms in my arm/hand and he knew exactly what I was talking about! Turns out it was the way I sit with the laptop plus a bit of weight gain. What can I say, brain storming and writing tend to to extremely sedentary activities  :/

Ed

Talking of obscure symptoms, my wife went through a phase of having neck spasms, due to a trapped nerve in her back. She would be walking along minding her own busines, when the next thing she knows she's looking at something over her left shoulder when she really doesn't want to :grin: The osteo said he was very worried about her posture (she types a lot) and said if she didn't make a conscious effort to sit properly and keep her shoulders back and head up, she would most likely end up with a dowager's hump in later life :shocked: Fine if you go to lots of fancy dress parties, but you don't want people referencing bells and calling you Quazi when you're walking down the high street.

She didn't do anything but worry about it, but the next time she went to see him, he remarked on her 100% improvement and said he was no longer worried about her posture. The only thing that had changed in the interim was that she went to a bodypump aerobics class twice a week at the gym. I was thinking about doing it myself, since my posture is all to hell, too :scratch:

Sallyq

Quoteme too, re the nothing screaming 'write me'. I've been writing the same damn story now for three or four weeks, and I just can't seem to get the words down - can't decide where the plot is going and which of the characters I want to turn bad

Tell me about it. The story I wrote for the Desolate Places anthology took me over a month. Usually if a story is there, I get it all down at once, but I had to work at this one. I just hope it's worth the effort.

I've ended up writing nothing today, but that's partly because hubby came back early and decided to finish carpeting the stairs and hallway. I didn't have to do anything, but I did have to stand there and tell him what a wonderful job he was doing (funny he never says that to me when I'm doing the dishes...). Still, I've got carpet up the stairs again now, after weeks of bare - and very cold - boards.

SamLeeFreak

She didn't do anything but worry about it, but the next time she went to see him, he remarked on her 100% improvement and said he was no longer worried about her posture. The only thing that had changed in the interim was that she went to a bodypump aerobics class twice a week at the gym. I was thinking about doing it myself, since my posture is all to hell, too :scratch:
[/quote]

Yoga is also good, but make sure to do very basic stuff. I have a beginners Rodney Yee DVD that is lovely.

Ed

I hate laying carpet - that's one thing I'd much rather pay a meat head to do than suffer it myself :grin: At our last house, I laid the vinyl in the kitchen, which cost a few quid and a lot of swearing. Finally got all the appliances back into place without damaging anything. Job's a good-un. :afro:

So I come home from work the following day, and there's a big mat, right bang smack in the middle of the kitchen, covering up most of the vinyl :scratch: Turns out the missus had dragged a huge mixing bucket across the floor with a bag of artex in it... and a little sharp stone was trapped underneath the bucket, which slashed the vinyl for almost the exact same length of the new floor mat :bangh:

Can't see me doing yoga, TBH - I'm not bendy enough :/

SamLeeFreak