News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starktheground

Wow, sounds like it's been a heck of a day for everyone.

Geoff-That writer sounds completely inept. What a pain. Even though I ranted to you guys, I was still professional with the editor. Even if he was wrong, it's their magazine and they're paying me. And deadlines are too friggin' important to ignore. That's why I always submit early; when the editor wants to get picky (or if I just screw up) everyone has plenty of time to fix it!

Ed-It sounds like what you need after today is a martini and a backrub from your wife!

Well, let's look on the bright side: Halloween's almost here (the funnest time of the year) and the 3rd anniversary contest is fast approaching!

Ed

:dance: Yep.

When I have days like this, I just think against the backdrop of eternity it doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot, really. Worse things happen at sea, as my old man used to say. Not sure what he was on about, TBH, but I'm sure he's right :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

SamLeeFreak

Quote from: Ed on October 29, 2007, 08:32:34 PM

When I have days like this, I just think against the backdrop of eternity it doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot, really. Worse things happen at sea, as my old man used to say. Not sure what he was on about, TBH, but I'm sure he's right :grin:

Well, think about it. Bunch of macho straight guys at sea for months at a time. No women folk around. Eventually someone's gonna have to put on a dress and play house  ::)

Ed

Quote from: SamLeeFreak on October 29, 2007, 08:47:45 PM
Quote from: Ed on October 29, 2007, 08:32:34 PM

Well, think about it. Bunch of macho straight guys at sea for months at a time. No women folk around. Eventually someone's gonna have to put on a dress and play house  ::)

Hmm... maybe he was talking about the old hippy in a barrel trick :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

I climbed to the summit of Moel Hebog today. A 3,500 feet climb. I discovered how unfit I was! The friend walking with me had to keep waiting for me!

sylvrilyn

Tuesday evening and I have to go to work.  This means the productive part of my day is over.  After the triumph of actually finishing my entry for the competition, work is a huge let-down.  But then it's been like that a lot recently.   ::)

That sounds fun, Geoff!  *is envious*

Ed

Argh - it's only moderately cold here at the moment, but I've been working with wet hands a few times lately, so my knuckles have become chapped, and now they've split across the hard skin and around the callouses. Every time I bend my fingers the splits open up, sting and bleed. I've started to superglue the splits closed now, and it's helping quite a lot with the pain, but the glue doesn't hold particularly well when the skin gets wet. Happens at some point every year. Very annoying :/

Geoff_N

Blimey Ed, don't you use these pre-work swarfega protective gels or gloves? You need to take care of your hands.

Speaking of which I dislocated my little finger on my hike yesterday. I stumbled coming down the mountain, put my hand out to steady myself and my finger bent back to the wrist! Instinctively, I used my other hand to pop it back in. Luckily we were within an hour of a cafe and they gave me ice in a towel to keep the swelling down. Sore and swollen but OK now. My walking companion said I shouldn't have re-located my dislocated finger...  until he photographed it!

Photo of me climbing and landscape beyond in my blog
http://geoffnelder.wordpress.com/

Geoff

Ed

Oh, I can sympathise there, too, Geoff - a couple of years ago I dislocated my thumb. I was pushing down on something from above, with the whole of my weight on my thumb, just as my idiot apprentice hit it from below. If you ever needed to know the meaning of the words 'sickening crunch', hell, that was it for me. My thumb, like your finger, stuck out at a very strange angle until I hit it back in with my other hand. Apparently you only need to worry if there's a dent in the skin around the joint afterwards, which might indicate cartilage damage.

Probably my worst dislocation was my coccyx :shocked:

delboy

QuotePhoto of me climbing and landscape beyond in my blog

Bloody 'ell, Geoff! If I was that high up on rocks as sheer and as steep as that I'd want crash helmets, ropes, parachutes, supporting helicopters, teams of medics, sherpas, massive cushions at the bottom of the mountain, and enough supplies to last me a month in case winter closed in unexpectedly. You look like you're just popping out for a pint of milk and a packet of fags. Fair play!

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Sallyq

QuoteProbably my worst dislocation was my coccyx

Ouch! They thought I'd fractured mine last year, and that was painful enough. It turned out that the arthritis has gone into my spine (at least a fracture would have healed).

Great picture, Geoff, and wonderful view!

SamLeeFreak

*shakes head* Men and their fingers. This is why we make you do chores around the house!

Ed

Busy, hectic week for me. Didn't finish work until about 7PM. Got home to an empty house, had to make my own grub, which was nice. Caught up with the events of the day online, sent a few hassling e-mails and PMs, and it was only just a few minutes ago, when I went to put the kettle on again, that I suddenly realised it's Friday night :cheers: and the whole weekend is ahead of me. So I'm celebrating with a bottle of Bud.

:dance:

Geoff_N

Strange day for me tomorrow - actually later today.
Daughter had arranged a day's hike and slap-up lunch. My idea to celebrate my birthday instead of a big party. Then she phoned yesterday to say would I organise the walk - and lunch. So I have. It's like someone saying Happy birthday, here's a new sweater, ah , but do you mind knitting it yourself!  On the other hand I'll be hiking up Tegg's Nose near Macclesfield, and I've been eager to do that for years.

Should be a good day!  :cheesy:

starktheground

Sounds fun! Is your birthday tomorrow? I'll send you some yarn for a sweater.  :grin: