News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Yum - I've just had a late night supper of strong cheddar cheese, and thickly buttered fresh crusty bread, all washed down with an ice cold bottle of Budweiser. The cheese was so strong it made the beer taste sweet. Lovely :smitten:

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

starktheground

Why is it that when you oversleep, your whole day is thrown off? I NEVER wake up late, but when I do . . . Urgh!!
I could use an ice cold Budweiser right now. But all we have in the house is Kahlua.  >:(

SamLeeFreak

Quote from: Ed on November 16, 2007, 06:23:07 PM
Yum - I've just had a late night supper of strong cheddar cheese, and thickly buttered fresh crusty bread, all washed down with an ice cold bottle of Budweiser. The cheese was so strong it made the beer taste sweet. Lovely :smitten:

I love cheese!

Ed

Quote from: starktheground on November 16, 2007, 07:41:25 PM
Why is it that when you oversleep, your whole day is thrown off? I NEVER wake up late, but when I do . . . Urgh!!
I could use an ice cold Budweiser right now. But all we have in the house is Kahlua.  >:(

If I drink beer during the day, you can't expect any work out of me afterwards. That's part of what I love about Christmas Day - it's about the only time of the year where I know I don't have to be anywhere else, so it's safe to have a few drinks with dinner, and then snooze in front of the fire during the afternoon, sporting a wrinkled paper hat and draped in multi coloured bunting from party poppers. Mmmm :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Sallyq

I can't drink in the daytime either for fear of falling asleep after lunch, though when I was away with my friends for a week in September, our motto quickly became 'The sun must be over the yard arm somewhere in the world'  :grin:

Geoff_N

After decades of near teetotal existence, my father-in-law and my dad started drinking a sherry each night, and some mornings, in the last few years. We joked that they are becoming geriatric alcoholics, and they laugh their denials. Then last week my father-in-law was told he has jaundice and this could be liver damage from all his drinking! While blood tests are being done, he's now on water, which he never drank except thickened with strong tea (or sherry). A side effect is that my wife won't let me drink my whisky, and I only have a couple of doubles, or so, a week. While I went to a friend's book signing today, my wife visited her parents and noticed that her parents' tea was Earl Grey. Apparently her mum bought it by mistake but being thrifty weren't going to throw it away. My wife remembered that Earl Grey contains Bergamot, and that if you drink too much your skin looks tanned! Hah! Yep, the GP said his 'jaundice' is probably the Earl Grey but he's not to sup sherry until the blood tests.

I raise a glass to tea-drinkers!

Geoff - hic

SamLeeFreak

Ed

:scratch: Wow - I've never heard of that before. Personally, I don't like Earl Grey. It tastes like perfume to me. :/

starktheground

I don't like tea at all. (I'm not going to be lynched, am I?)  ;)

Sallyq

I agree about Earl Grey being too perfumey. But how interesting, Geoff. And a good idea for a story too.

Stark, remember you're among the British here. That was close to sacrilege ;) :D

Ed

Quote from: starktheground on November 17, 2007, 08:57:42 PM
I don't like tea at all. (I'm not going to be lynched, am I?)  ;)

:shocked:

Hang her from the yard arm! >:(

I can't get through the day without a good mug of tea, at least one an hour. I love a good cup of coffee, too, but I can't drink much of it without it making me hyper, which would be fine, but for the headaches and heart palpitations that go with it :grin:

Geoff_N

I do like Earl Grey, but reserve its consumption, along with a toasted teacake, only after a tough bike ride or hill walk. Somehow, the enhanced flavour of Earl Grey goes down best after exertion.
I've only recently discovered the existence of Lady Grey too. I wouldn't mind giving her a go...

Grrrr I had to shorten my Sunday morning bike ride cos of rain - roads slippery with mud too. Farmers should be made to sweep up after them!

Geoff

delph_ambi

I drink pints of tea every few hours throughout the day. First one is sometimes Earl Grey.

I have a cup of coffee once a week.

This is perfectly normal. Believe me.

Ed

I wonder how many people say they don't like tea because they've never had a good brew. It's one of the things that annoys me on holiday - you only ever seem to get that crappy bag-on-a-string Lipton's tea, and you need two of them per cup, really. The best tea I've ever had is the old NAAFI tea. A close second is Yorkshire Tea. I like it very strong, but with plenty of milk.

One of our neighbours across the road brough me back some loose tea from India - jet black and very strong. Lovely stuff :smiley:

I've always fancied the idea of drinking ginseng tea, or Chinese green leaf tea, but the reality is plain awful :P

On a separate and unconnected note, I'm looking at buying a wood burning stove with a back boiler. Because we're out in the boonies, we don't have a mains gas supply, so we're reliant on kerosene for heating, and the price of it is steadily going through the roof. Ten years ago, it was about 15p a litre (30 cents), but now it's up to 50p, which is ridiculous, especially seeing as how the pound is strong against the US dollar at the moment, and oil is dealt in dollars per barrel. Somebody is making a lot more money out of it than they should.

Still, between my solar panels (which I haven't had the opportunity to put up yet) and my new wood burner, we will at least have other options, should we need them. Both of which are carbon neutral, too, so they're more environmentally friendly than burning oil. :smiley:

PaulH

Tea... bleaugh!!! Can't drink it at all. Used to drink the odd cup of Earl Grey black, but not even that anymore. Give me my black coffee every time, thank you! And yes, I'm British!