News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

I must admit (now I've won) that the only times I've fallen off my bike during the last 10 years was in rain or just after. And overnight an email from an old college buddy has made me envious. He lives in Melbourne, Australia running online training courses. He & wife often take a train 150 miles or so away and take a leisurely 3 days to cycle the Great Ocean Road back in DRY weather!!

Morning all.

Geoff

Ed

Morning Geoff :afro:

I'm a fair weather cyclist, fisherman, gardener, etc. I don't mind walking in the rain too much, but I have many a miserable memory of doing a paper round on rainy mornings that put me off ever recapturing those feelings.  :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

joneastwood

Now, you see i used to do a paper round and it would often rain, but for some weird reason i always enjoyed it. I would wake up, hear the rain and then be happy. How strange... I think I just like the way rain makes the day look more interesting!

Ed

I think you might be a bit strange there, Jon ;)

Twas blowing a hooley outside last night and chucking it down with rain, right through until the not so early hours of the morning. Had to plug my ears to get to sleep. I expect the ground will be boggy as hell on site today because of it, which is annoying - I somehow manage to get plastered in mud from head to toe if I'm not careful :scratch:

Talking of plastering, I'm knocking my fireplace around and getting it ready for a wood burning stove. So far I've taken down the old shearstone fireplace (urgh ::) ugly looking thing) and I've knocked out up to the lintel, put a ceiling into the recess, rendered the face up as far as the picture rail, and now I'm skimming the rendering with finish plaster. I've got two more evening's worth of skimming, then Friday I bed the hearth. Saturday I line the chimney (as long as it's not peeing with rain), Sunday I install the wood burner. Monday I pipe up the back boiler. Tuesday I box the pipes. Wednesday the painter and decorator is supposed to turn up. Phew... I'm knackered just thinking about it :/

And I've got to makes time to do all my critiques for the crit group around that - but at least that's quite enjoyable :afro:

delph_ambi

Yes, it was a trifle breezy last night. Friend of mine, whose greenhouse had survived unblemished for twenty-five years, woke up to find the trampoline from two doors down had flown through it.

Sallyq

Ouch, poor greenhouse. It's rained almost incessantly here for a couple of days, but it's stopped now and the sun has come out. I don't mind rain if I'm in the house, warm and dry, and I love thunderstorms.

joneastwood

OK, I've changed my mind about rain somewhat today. I'm doing a low quality touring panto at the moment and i had to get up at 5.45 (in the rain) to meet the rest of the cast in kingston (who were late), and then drive (in the rain) to Rochester, carry the set out of the car (in the rain), do the show,  take the set down and carry it back to the car (through the rain) then drive back (through the rain) to London, and then make my way through the rain to an audition in Warren Street (did i mention it was raining?) before making my weary way home, quite thoroughly drenched and exhausted.
Oh, and tomorrow i go to Swindon...

Ed

Sounds like fun, Jon :afro: Good luck in Swindon - I hear it's quite a metropolis these days. Can't say I envy you having to perform in front of gazillions of screaming kids. I bet it's tiring just listening to the noise. :/

I'm getting on with my plastering quite well - I've only got a couple of small cheeks to skim and it'll be finished.

My critiques aren't going too well, though. I was trying to read and comment on a story earlier on, after I had eaten my dinner, but my wife came into the office, sat down, turned the telly on and sat watching it. Being Hollyoaks it was full of people arguing (typical soap), so I couldn't read what I was trying to read, because I couldn't get the voice of the narrator in my head over the noise of the actors arguing. After trying for a while, I decided to get on with the plastering instead, meaning that I had to keep going back and trowling it every so often. I've only just finished it, but my wife has finally retired to bed now, which means no more interruptions. Trouble is, it's 11pm and I'm knackered by now. This is why I can never get anything written, either. Something is going to have to change around here, for sure. :batterup:

SamLeeFreak

Walker

"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

delboy

QuoteTrouble is, it's 11pm and I'm knackered by now. This is why I can never get anything written, either. Something is going to have to change around here, for sure.

I know that feeling. It's why I've loved the flash challenges over the last month. It's been the one tenuous link to anything I can call writing during an on-going busy period in my life. I keep thinking that things are going to settle down and I can start work on something a little more ambitious again. But now I'm realising that's not the case so it's up to me to make time.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Quote from: Walker on December 06, 2007, 08:07:41 AM
Maybe a television in the bedroom.

There is one in the bedroom, but she likes to spend time with me (understandably :azn: ) so wherever I am, she is pretty soon by my side, which is nice - I like spending time with her, too (that's a fairly big part of my reason for marrying her in the first place, after all), but occasionally I need a bit of time to myself. I feel guilty about asking her to go upstairs, but - right now, while writing this post she has come in, sat down and put the telly on, and I've just asked her to watch it upstairs - explained why I can't get on with what I'm doing with a telly going in the background, and she has left me to it, without getting snakey, too. A result, I think :afro:

Now, I'd better hurry up and get on with my crits....

Ed

Quote from: delboy on December 06, 2007, 08:47:06 AM
QuoteTrouble is, it's 11pm and I'm knackered by now. This is why I can never get anything written, either. Something is going to have to change around here, for sure.

I know that feeling. It's why I've loved the flash challenges over the last month. It's been the one tenuous link to anything I can call writing during an on-going busy period in my life. I keep thinking that things are going to settle down and I can start work on something a little more ambitious again. But now I'm realising that's not the case so it's up to me to make time.

Derek

Flashes are great for keeping your hand in with your writing. They're also a very good starting point for longer stories when you have time to do them. Sometimes you'll find there are two or three you can combine to make a very interesting plot, too. :smiley:

Ed

Finally got a couple of crits done :cheers:

I'm having real trouble connecting to this website, though - I'm having to use a proxy to post this. It's not the host that's at fault this time, though. It seems to be a network problem with British Telecom. After the first few hops I lose the connection and time out. At first I thought it might be my IP address being rejected by the server - sometimes it happens that you inadvertantly end up with a banned IP address if you're on a dynamic connection, rather than a fixed IP addy. Thing is, I'm using a transparent proxy, so that can't be it.

Anybody else having trouble? Geoff? Sally? :huh: