gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 07:55:51 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588223 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2007, 01:31:42 PM »

I don't blame you. The first time I had my front wheel slide out from under me was on a motorbike, and it's something I'll never forget. Given that something like 80% of your braking is on your front wheel, it's a bit of a surprise when instead of slowing down as you had expected, you're lying winded on the road wondering WTF just happened. You go down so quickly there's no time to react - one minute you're up, next hundredth of a second you're in a heap on the road with a car sliding towards you whoah

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2007, 01:47:16 PM »

I did that on a push bike once. Seriously unnerving. Not to be recommended.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2007, 07:59:07 PM »

Well, I'm off to bed again, absolutely knackered. It's been one of those days, today. I didn't really get enough sleep last night, so consequently I was a bit accident prone today. Picked up and tried to push together some 22mm copper pipe I had not long since unsoldered and wiped clean. I soon put it down after realising that sizzling sound coupled with extreme pain meant it hadn't cooled down quite as much as I thought it had. So now I've got a very sore blistered patch on my thumb and in the crease of the top joint on my index finger. Lovely afro

Then later on in the afternoon I was chiselling back some plaster with a claw hammer and cold chisel when the earplug of my mp3 player swung forward, caught in the claw of the hammer and pinged off as I hit the chisel. Apart from the annoyance of breaking the headset, I had to put up with the discomforrt from nearly garoting myself with the cord, too. Insult to injury and all that rolleyes

Anyway... off to bed, now....

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2007, 11:00:46 PM »

Holy crap!
Sallyq
Mortician

« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2007, 03:50:10 AM »

Ouch Ed! You're not quite as bad as my hubby's friend. Years ago, this guy lost one of his fingers in an accident, so you'd think he'd have learned to keep his fingers out of the way when he's using electronic cutting equipment. Last week he somehow managed to chop two more off on the same hand. Apparently they can't sew them back on, though I thought they could nowadays.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2007, 05:21:06 AM »

At my 3S readers group meeting in October one of the women had chopped two fingers off by stupidly unjamming her electric lawn mower while it was connected. In her case they did plastic surgery them back - and the right way round! Imagine the worried surgeon with his eyes nictating between her hand and the two fingers (index and one next to it). Similar size, colour and shape - so would it really matter if he got them switched?

Come to think about it I'd ask if he could stitch the index finger back the wrong way around. It could be handy to be able to bend it opposite to the rest!  santa_cool

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2007, 08:05:36 AM »

Ouch, and double ouch whoah

I've known a few people with missing fingers from various accidents. One was a woman who lost her little finger playing swingball, of all things. She didn't realise she had broken it until it turned black and withered.

Probably the worst was a chippy, named Ken, who cut off the tips of all four fingers of his left hand with an electric planer - he was cupping the timber in his left hand, while holding the planer in his right - swept it up the timber (I think more than once) and it was buh-bye to all four finger tips down to at least the first joint Shocked There's no sewing them back on, for sure huh

neilmarr
Coffin Maker

« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2007, 09:16:32 AM »

I've been a jazz trmpet player and guitarist for coming up half a century now. I was so bloody terrified of losiing one or more fingers, I learned trombone and harmonica -- pretty well the only two instruments you can play without 'em. Neil
Sallyq
Mortician

« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2007, 09:56:44 AM »

My Uncle Don lost one of his fingers in his bike spokes. He had the bike upside down in the back yard spinning the wheel (this was about sixty-five years ago) and my gran said 'Donald, you'll lose a finger.' He ignored her and five minutes later 'Ouch!'.

My dad, who was a nipper then, picked up the finger and said 'Can't they sew it back on, mam?' Everyone laughed at him at the time, but he says now that he obviously prophesied that they would be able to one day (though I think Uncle Don's finger might have been a bit shrivelled by the time they could).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 09:57:11 AM by Sallyq » Logged

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »

I've been a jazz trmpet player and guitarist for coming up half a century now. I was so bloody terrified of losiing one or more fingers, I learned trombone and harmonica -- pretty well the only two instruments you can play without 'em. Neil

Wow - multi talented. I wish I had taken the time to learn just one instrument. I tried to learn guitar, but my fingers weren't supple enough to hold down the strings to make chords. After that I didn't get around to trying anything else, although I was lead singer of a band for a while, so I'm not completely without talent rolleyes

So here we are on Christmas Eve. My kids are absolutely zinging with excitement. There's a plate on top of the new wood burner with a few carrots for Rudolf (none of the other reindeer ever seem to get a look in), a chocolate chip cookie, a banana muffin and a glass of milk for Santa (as if he isn't fat enough already). The wife's wellies are wrapped and under the tree with a card from me and the boys (and a little secret something else she doesn't have an incling about Wink ). All ready for tomorrow. Waking up at the crack of four AM, no doubt santa_undecided

Ain't Christmas grand? santa_grin

SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #175 on: December 24, 2007, 06:25:22 PM »

A banana muffin, eh? Hope your toilet is in good working order! Not sure how well Saint Nick can handle that much bran at once  azn
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #176 on: December 24, 2007, 06:29:21 PM »

A banana muffin, eh? Hope your toilet is in good working order! Not sure how well Saint Nick can handle that much bran at once  azn

Should be alright - Mrs Claus skinned them first

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #177 on: December 25, 2007, 10:08:03 AM »

Well, the prezzies went down a treat. I bought my wife a little something extra on top of the red wellies - I've been meaning to get her an eternity ring for a while now. Back in January of last year we were looking at them on holiday in Lanzerote, but didn't see any we really liked. So I thought I would have one made for her as a surprise. It's a bit of a long story, in all, but I've got all day and so have you, I expect.

The day before we got married, ten years ago, my wife was walking up through town with a bunch of flowers in hand, wearing a summer dress, looking forward to the big day, when suddenly, out of nowhere, she was accosted by an old hag. This old gypsy woman was offering to read fortunes, palms, etc. My future wife was up for that, being quite superstitious, especially with her not wanting to upset the old hag on the day before her wedding. So the old hag reads her palm and as they part she puts two glass beads into her hand and says, "These are for your two boys." We didn't have any kids at the time, but when the two of them were born, one had very dark hair, the other was mousy - the glass beads were blue for boys, but one was dark and the other lighter. It just seemed quite fitting somehow.

Anyway, instead of getting the standard eternity ring with rubies or sapphires I thought it would be nice to do something a bit different. So I got the jeweller (same one who sold me the engagement and the wedding ring) to make me a half eternity with three diamonds with one deep blue sapphire and one pale blue (London blue) topaz set in an 18ct mount. Ordered it weeks ago and finally got to pick it up last thursday night (I was a bit worried it wouldn't be ready in time).

I wrapped it individually and stuffed it into one of the red wellies, so it would be a nice surprise for Mrs Ed. She is delighted with it - speechless for a while. Result afro

neilmarr
Coffin Maker

« Reply #178 on: December 26, 2007, 06:09:08 AM »

One of the books my lass, Skovia, got for Christmas was a 311-page collection of short stories and poetry called 'La Disparition' by French author Georges Perec. It appealed to her sense of humour because he's written the entire thing without once using the letter 'e'. Why? Neil
Sallyq
Mortician

« Reply #179 on: December 26, 2007, 10:09:11 AM »

Oh Ed, you old romantic you. What a lucky woman your wife is.

Neil: I can't work out why someone would want to leave out the letter e either. What point does that serve?

I got three Lee Child novels off my dad. We're addicted to Child's character, Jack Reacher. I bought my dad an audio tape of one of the Child's novels, so we can discuss them.

Den and I have been to see I Am Legend today. If you're thinking of going to see it, I can't recommend it enough. It's a great film and whilst some were worried that Smith didn't have the gravitas to pull it off, I thought he was damn good in the role. I blubbed a couple of times.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx