gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 01:43:33 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588945 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2007, 05:48:57 PM »

grin I wish I had JK's millions. The sad thing is, I can't even begin to comprehend how it would be to have that much money. I'm coming up to the end of my financial year, and I have actually done better than expected this year, but it was only in the past four or five weeks I finally got my hands on the cold hard currency. Now I've got to be careful that I don't get hit with a whomping great tax bill, so I might have to buy a new car and/or a van, or something, to offset the tax burden. It's annoying, though, because I think this coming year is going to be a difficult one, and I could do with hanging onto some of the money I've made this year to balance out my earnings. Up until a couple of years ago, you could average your earnings over three years and pay tax on that basis. But now the government makes us self employed folks pay our tax immediately. So one year you might pay 40% tax on the majority or your earnings, but the next you might well qualify for benefits and have to go cap in hand to the govt, begging for money. It annoys the shit out of me pissed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2007, 05:51:49 PM »

A couple of days ago, he comes home from the pub, staggers through the front garden, a bit worse for wear (shitfaced) and falls headlong into a big muddy hole that's brimming with ice cold bog water. It's a big hole - very deep (approx 6ft). And this is where the truth really is stranger than fiction.

She -- Wendy The Nutball -- had returned while he was out, shovel in hand, dug up the dog and took it with her whoah

What a loon, eh? hiding
Shocked

SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »

That is a truly bizarre story.

Sadly, I had to bury my cat today. She died on Boxing Day night.  Cry

I'm so sorry to hear that  Cry
It's hard to explain how bad it hurts when a pet dies, as they are friend and family rolled into one.
PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2007, 08:25:11 PM »

Thanks for the sympathy guys. Big wuss that I am, today is the first day I've gotten through without crying.

JK Rowling and Harry Potter are banned words in my house. Nothing against her as a person, nothing against the books (when you've not read something it's hard to have an opinion about it), it's the idiocy that surrounds her. 'Sign with our agency, we'll make you the next JKR). Thanks, I've already got the long blond hair and by the way you're bloody lying. 'HP has saved children from illiteracy'. SO that's why literacy rates among school children are still falling every year, is it? All the cack that these people come out with hacks me off to the extent that I won't have anything to do with it. Maybe when the boys are older I'll let them read it. Or maybe I'll get them to read Mallory Towers and Lord of the Rings instead, figure it's probably about the same.
Sallyq
Mortician

« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2007, 03:26:05 AM »

Sorry, Ed, I've only just seen your post about taxes and such like. What a rotten state of affairs that you can't hang onto money just in case you need it later. It's a long time since we were self-employed, things have obviously changed.

Paul, I understand what you mean about JKR. I was put off by the hype at first, but when you read the books all that goes away, imo. I get annoyed with some writers who are nasty about her because she's not highbrow enough for them (though I think it's the success that upsets them more) She's writing for children for goodness sake and she does a damn good job of that.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #200 on: December 31, 2007, 09:56:28 AM »

Yep - bit of a bummer, really. But there's not much we can do about it, so there's no point dwelling on it too much smiley

Anyhoo - I've just started taking down the Christmas decs. It's no longer snowing in the forum header and I'm just about to put the santa smilies back in their box, too. Mrs Ed's taking down the tree in the other room, and TBH I'll be glad to see the back of the thing. Dunno why, but I didn't feel very Christmassy this time around. I was just glad of the time off.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
canadian
Coroner

amphibian

« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »

We dragged our tree outside today. Stood it in a five foot pile of snow over the firepit out back. It'll go up like sparklers when we light a fire under it come spring!

Must admit I'm quite glad that the holiday season has finally ended, too. For the past few weeks, I've been feeling rather d'uh but today ... there's suddenly a spring in my step and I'm actually looking forward to the resumption of real life! It was nice to hang out with my family for a few days but I now know there's a valid reason why I've chosen to live rather far away from them.  Shocked

If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin
joneastwood
Grave Digger

« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »

I've found the exact same thing this year. My girlfriend has been away for a month and i spent the festive season with my parents. After a few days I realised that most of my friends from back home have moved away and I didn't have the majority of amusing diversions that I keep in my house. After a week I was going crazy with boredom and made a sharp exit this afternoon.
It's not as if I have all that much to do here, but I already feel better for being in my own place.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #203 on: January 01, 2008, 08:24:35 PM »

Funny, isn't it? You occasionally hear of somebody who, for one reason or another, goes back to live with their parents. Personally, I cannot think of any scenario where that option would even make a short list for me. I would have to be in a very bad way - Steven Hawking kind of bad, without the voicebox, otherwise I'd still be screaming "Get me the hell out of here!" in that Dalek accent of his. huh

delph_ambi
« Reply #204 on: January 02, 2008, 02:55:23 AM »

I had daughter, son and son's girlfriend staying, and it was bloody brilliant. Hope it was for them too... All gone home now, so it's back to writing/painting/teaching. First two are fine, but I could do without the last, even though I only do a tiny bit. Will just have to write a best-seller, I suppose. scratch
PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2008, 06:59:57 AM »

I quite enjoyed Christmas this year, losing my cat aside. Having sons of 4 & 5 makes Christmas fun I guess! We saw a lot of Mrs H's family over the hols as well and didn't see my family at all. That's a result in my book!
chaobell
Stiff

« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »

I got a laptop a couple of weeks ago! It is wonderful! I can take it everywhere and write stuff and do all kinds of things with it!

Or I could until last night.  *sings "oh, the hard drive on the laptop goes CLICK CLICK CLICK, CLICK CLICK CLICK, CLICK CLICK CLICK"*

Fortunately even though it was used it's still got a warranty, so all I have to do is go plop it back down on the counter and go "I can has new hard drive plz." Even more fortunately, I didn't keep the only copy of anything on it; everything important is either on my main machine, my USB drive, Google Docs, or all of the above.

But still: oh, my poor laptop  Cry

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2008, 02:18:30 PM »

That's the main problem with laptops - they seem to go wrong more often than desktop machines. I suppose it's because everything is that much smaller and compact. Glad to hear you kept backup copies of everything. I'm just in the process of defragging my hard drive, backing everything up to disk and a portable hard drive, which I make a point of doing every so often.

I hope you manage to get it sorted out soon smiley

I'm having trouble setting up my surround sound DVD player with my new big TV - it works with the terrestrial channels and digital terrestrial freeview channels, but the sound from the satellite channels doesn't go through the surround sound. I can't figure out how to make it work properly, so that the TV station you're watching is always the one that comes out of the speakers scratch

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2008, 04:44:35 AM »

Well, it's the end of the first week back to work, for me. Looks like I've survived it thus far. Going to be a busy weekend, but I'm looking forward to it - getting things straight at home, ready to start on the next project in the house renovation.

Funny - yesterday I went to look at some new cars and vans, because I think right now might be a good time to change, what with the tax situation and this year looking like it might be a difficult one. Anyway, the car I most liked the look of and have had in mind for some time as my next car (Nissan Pathfinder) is about four grand more to buy than our first flat was - and we struggled to get a mortgage for that, because 2.5 times our combined annual earnings didn't equal the price of the flat. Amazing how things have changed in twenty years, isn't it? undecided
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:04:41 AM by Ed » Logged

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2008, 06:20:41 PM »

It's been ever so quiet here over the weekend - I keep popping in to see what's up, and so do others I've seen, but we don't seem to have much to say for ourselves grin

I wonder if the cause is maybe something akin to post traumatic stress. After spending Christmas with bickering hyperglycemic children and then catching up with the workload of the first week back at work, perhaps we're all shell shocked. Must admit I feel a bit out of sorts, but I can't put my finger on why exactly. scratch How's everybody else doing?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx