News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian

I'm so busy trying to get the 2nd floor of my house looking like it might be liveable at some point in the not so distant future that I've almost forgotten there's a world out there!
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

SamLeeFreak

Quote from: Ed on January 13, 2008, 06:20:41 PM
It's been ever so quiet here over the weekend - I keep popping in to see what's up, and so do others I've seen, but we don't seem to have much to say for ourselves :grin:

I wonder if the cause is maybe something akin to post traumatic stress. After spending Christmas with bickering hyperglycemic children and then catching up with the workload of the first week back at work, perhaps we're all shell shocked. Must admit I feel a bit out of sorts, but I can't put my finger on why exactly. :scratch: How's everybody else doing?

I've been feeling pretty out of it too!  :/ Christmas, catching up with work (or trying to), and the stress of gettign ready to move = one sick me. I'm hoping it's just a cold and not the flu! All I know is that I woke up last night with a fever and shaking so hard that it almost felt like a seizure.

delboy

QuoteMust admit I feel a bit out of sorts, but I can't put my finger on why exactly.  How's everybody else doing?

Pure and simply a busy weekend for me. Had work to catch up with on Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. In between managed to play a gig, and spend a few hours sorting out the garage - didn't really achieve much but I did go through two boxes of old books and I'm now re-reading Carrie! Had the cold virus that's been going around for the last week or so, too, which has coloured everything with tiredness, headaches, and generally feeling down.

Already looking forward to next weekend, which is such a bad attitude.  :(

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Yeesh - sounds horrible all round :/ I hope you're all feeling better soon. So far, I've got away without catching the flu bug that's going around here, but I think it's only a matter of time - probably the week I'm at Borderlands, if my luck's anything to go by :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

aexombie

Hi everyone, almost noon here, so I'm off to have lunch with the in-laws.

:dance: free food, yay

chaobell

So I get my laptop back from the shop and what happens not even a week later? The power supply on the desktop box goes PTTTHHHHBBTH and dies on me! And even though I can swap a power supply blindfolded, in my sleep, and with both hands tied behind my back, this kind of requires me to actually have a new power supply in hand, which isn't going to happen until I can get out to get one next week! Fortunately, they're cheap. As long as they don't take, say, the motherboard with them when they go! Yay! Isn't that awesome?  :cheers:

Memorandum from me to all computers everywhere: please kiss my ass.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin

Geoff_N

Appropo to your power supply failure incident, CB...

5 years ago while systems manager in a large High School I could see a huge thunderstorm brewing one July late afternoon. After the students had left I instructed the techies to unplug all the stations - only leaving the servers on with their power surge protected power supplies. Sure enough we had a few lightning strikes, which knocked out the head teachers TV - hah - but no computers were damaged. I had a call from a school down the road saying a strike knocked out a whole computer lab - power supplies and motherboards all fried! I couldn't help feeling smug until the following day. Their school insurance was replacing all his damaged computers with brand new ones! Guess what our adopted strategy was after that when a storm was due?

Geoff

Ed

Does it involve large copper cables running up to the highest point on the building, Geoff? :grin:

Quote from: aexombie on January 14, 2008, 08:37:41 PM
Hi everyone, almost noon here, so I'm off to have lunch with the in-laws.

:dance: free food, yay

Are times that hard, or do you just hate cooking? :huh:

Quote from: chaobell on January 14, 2008, 11:33:17 PM
As long as they don't take, say, the motherboard with them when they go! Yay! Isn't that awesome?  :cheers:

Oh crap - I didn't realize they could do that. Mine's making funny noises from time to time, like "Vzzzzz--vzzzz--vzzzz" but I took it the cause was the fan running off centre. I've cleaned it and it's better, but it still does it from time to time. Maybe I should go and buy one. :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

aexombie

lol, no because i might jump off.  :shocked: but the food was good. now just waiting on my muse to expose himself to me. hmm. 10pm and still slacking.

chaobell

QuoteOh crap - I didn't realize they could do that.

Oh yeah. I used to fix computers for a living, and I sometimes saw machines come in with power supplies that weren't content to just commit seppuku. No, they had to go "GOD SAID 'SHARE' LOL" and send a few bazillion volts along to something else they were connected to. It didn't happen too often, just often enough that anytime a box came in with a dead power supply we ran a 24-hour burn-in after the swap to make sure everything else was OK.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin

PaulH

I've been posting on here today, partly because the shoulder is a little better, but mostly because I got some new painkillers and I can't feel a thing  :cheesy:

SamLeeFreak

I want some of those! My throats been hurting for days (even wakes me up). Every time I swallow it hurts, then today it got to where every time I swallow it hurts AND feels like someone shoved a sharpened pencil into each ear. My better-half says I have mucus gestating in my head tubes or something to that effect. Gross.

Ed

Ed

Oh man - today it's agony. I woke up feeling like somebody wedged a stick sideways in my throat, so whenever I swallow it digs in, just above my Adam's apple. It only hurts when I swallow, but I've come to realize just how many times a day I must do it. I'm really hoping it'll loosen up after a couple of hot drinks and some ibuprofen, otherwise it's going to be a very long day :(

Ed

It's not quite as bad now as when I woke up, but I've decided not to go in to work today - I'm just going to dose myself up with cold remedies and sit and watch old movies all day :afro:

Just wish I had something to numb my throat :scratch: