News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sallyq

Ouch, Ed. I hope you're feeling better soon. A day watching old movies sounds the perfect way to recover. :afro:

starktheground

Sorry you feel bad, Ed. I quit smoking about eight days ago, and I felt like I was sick for awhile there. Cloraseptic spray  (not sure about the spelling) and lozenges helped my throat a little. Hope you feel better!

Ed

Thanks for the sympathy :smiley: I don't feel ill persay - it just really hurts. I'd forgotten how much these things could hurt.

Good luck with quitting the evil weed, Angela :afro: I did it nearly two years ago, now. Hard going at times, but once I'd thrown everything away and stopped, that was it - no more. And I'm very glad I managed it. If you find you're having trouble, look for a book called 'The Easy Way To Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr - it's about twelve bucks plus shipping at Amazon, and worth every penny, IMO. Donna, Walker, Dan and me, (from this site alone) all stopped smoking thanks to that book. I heartily encourage any smokers I know to read that book, even if they've already quit by other means :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

starktheground

I'll definitely look into it. It hasn't been easy, that's for sure. At first, I thought "if I can just get through the first day." Then, "if I can just get through the first week." Now, I'm looking forward to getting through the first month! Oh well, I did it to myself, right? Enjoy your movies!

Ed

Quote from: starktheground on January 18, 2008, 09:53:12 AM
I'll definitely look into it. It hasn't been easy, that's for sure. At first, I thought "if I can just get through the first day." Then, "if I can just get through the first week." Now, I'm looking forward to getting through the first month! Oh well, I did it to myself, right? Enjoy your movies!

The great thing about the book is it takes away that feeling like you're depriving yourself of a pleasure. I quit cold turkey, when, up until finishing the book, I had smoked nearly forty a day, had smoked for over twenty years, and had only ever managed to stop for (at best) a day, despite numerous attempts to stop, including the use of patches, gum, inhalers, acupuncture, hypnosis.

I didn't believe it could work, but it does - it just completely changes the way you look at smoking.

You should be very proud of yourself for stopping on your own, like that, though - well done :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

Sorry to hear you're feeling rough, Ed. All the best for a speedy recovery.

Donna has actually given up smoking? Nah - we've met in person a few times, and I still can't picture her wiithout her personal smoke cloud -  only kidding Donna.  I have to say that because she gives me a mighty Canadian bear hug when we meet, and my ribs have only just recovered...

Torrential rain forecast here - for EVER. My bike is growing moss. Grrrrr

Geoff

Ed

:scratch: Oops - maybe it wasn't Donna? Who was it that Walker sent his copy to? I can't remember... ever since packing in smoking, I ain't been the same, y'kno...

As for this sore throat - I just hope it isn't worse tomorrow. I went to bed last night thinking 'I wonder if this'll be better or worse tomorrow?' and quickly came to the conclusion it couldn't be worse. And lo and behold, this morning :gross:

SamLeeFreak

Quote from: Ed on January 18, 2008, 05:18:08 AM
It's not quite as bad now as when I woke up, but I've decided not to go in to work today - I'm just going to dose myself up with cold remedies and sit and watch old movies all day :afro:

Just wish I had something to numb my throat :scratch:

Yup, we have the same thing! Drink oodles of water and take Nyquil before bed. Lucid is no way to endure being sick  ::)

Ed

Thanks for the advice, Natalie - I've been taking a couple of ibuprofen on top of a Lemsip Max Strength every four hours, and sucking on Strepsil throat lozengers in between times. Slept a fair chunk of the day, yesterday, and spent the waking hours watching old movies and critting stories ready for Borderlands. I'm guessing I'll get the earache just in time for my trans atlantic flight ::)

canadian

Sorry to hear you've got the icks, Ed. Sounds nasty. Sounds like you need some antibiotics.

And no, I haven't given up the cancer sticks ... yet. Still walkin' around in my own personal cloud. I did quit for a little while, years ago, after reading Alan Carr's book but it didn't stick.
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Ed

I'm feeling progressively better today, thanks. Even reached a stage this afternoon where it didn't hurt at all, but now I've dumped a curry on it... ahem.... :gross:

I know - it's my own fault :/ :grin:

canadian

Yikes! Curry on a sore throat.  :crazy:

What were you trying to do, Ed? Cauterize it? Sterilize it? Carry out some sort of scorched earth policy?
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

SamLeeFreak

I would tell your wife to spank you!

It's the only way you'll learn  :bleh:

Ed

It has been a while since I got a good sound spanking :/

Throat is feeling a lot better today - I'm hoping that's the end of it now, but after talking to other people who've had it, it sounds like I've got another three or four weeks of various flue-like syptoms to look forward to. I hope they're wrong :smiley:

Sallyq

Hate to worry you, Ed, but my friend caught it before Christmas and is still suffering. The virus has gone but it's left her really depressed.

That's something nice to know on the most miserable day of the year, isn't it?  :afro: