gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 07:53:50 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588213 times)
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #270 on: February 19, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »

I personally am distrated to see the spaces between sentences, but I'm partial to paragraph indentation, so I'm no help there, Geoff.  scratch
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #271 on: February 20, 2008, 03:47:53 AM »

I personally am distrated to see the spaces between sentences, but I'm partial to paragraph indentation, so I'm no help there, Geoff.  scratch

I'm not referring to the normal indentation of paragraphs. Reach for your bookshelf and pick any contemporary book (like my Escaping Reality - hah). The chances are that you'll notice the FIRST line of any chapter or section is NOT indented, even though all the other paragraphs are.

Geoff

starktheground
Critter

« Reply #272 on: February 20, 2008, 09:39:04 AM »

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Funny, I never even noticed before!
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #273 on: February 23, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »

Woo-hoo  dance Managed to ditch the kids on mother-in-law for tonight, so we're going out for a meal and then a movie. I'm guessing we'll have an Italian, because we both like pasta dishes, then we're going to see Cloverfield at the cinema. Looks like a bit of a disaster flick, but it has five star ratings from several criticsa, so I'm guessing it should be good afro

Looking forward to it, anyway smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #274 on: February 23, 2008, 06:25:13 PM »

God, that was awful. They spent $25,000,000 making that? How? Certainly didn't spend it on the cameraman. If I'd realised it was all going to be filmed on a shaky hand held camcorder, I certainly wouldn't have gone to see it - I spent most of the time staring at the floor because I couldn't bear to watch the screen. Terrible. I still feel sick now, and I've been out of there half an hour. Could quite easily hurl that Pollo al funghi (sounds delicious, doesn't it?) I ate before the film. undecided

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #275 on: February 24, 2008, 05:29:17 AM »

we saw a trailer of Cloverfield and that was enough to put me off! Not sure there's anything I'd have an urge to see at the cinema this week. Possibly Jumper - though it's a bit juvenile. U2 3D could be quite an experience, though I'd have to adjust my hearing aids!

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2008, 05:57:31 AM »

Yeah, I thought about seeing Jumper, but after reading the reviews it didn't sound much good. I would have seen The Bank Job, but it wasn't scheduled for Saturday night, for some reason. My other choice would have been The Bucket List - I think that'll be the next one I see. It could be quite entertaining, I think. I'm disappointed by Cloverfield, because the camerawork was so bad that it literally was unwatchable, especially at times of action, when you really want to see what's going on.

The thing is, too - the premise was actually quite weak, so the film relied quite heavily on the gimmick of it being filmed by a party guest on a camcorder. Had the premise been that it was filmed by a news crew, with a professional cameraman behind the camera, they'd have had to work a bit harder at the plot. I don't know why it got so many 5 star reviews. I really don't think it deserved them at all.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2008, 02:43:17 PM »

I missed today's morning greeting cos I was tied up at a meeting in my local Borders Bookstore. They agreed to take my Escaping Reality on sale or return! Yay! It's for sale in some tiny bookshops but to have it in the giant Borders feels great! Even if it is only one - the one at Cheshire Oaks, Ellesmere Port.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »

That's very cool, Geoff - congratulations dance

I don't really have any news, other than I've got my Black Pearl MS printed out and ready to send off - the US postage finally arrived on Saturday - plus I've written a cover letter (brief and to the point). It's all stuffed into a big brown envelope, ready to fly across the pond. I got my wife to type up the address on the first envelope, but then noticed she'd got the zip code wrong, so had to do another. Good job I noticed, otherwise I don't think it would get there. I hear the USPS rely heavily on the zip codes and nothing goes anywhere without the correct selection of numbers and letters.

Odd, really - in the UK, you can quite often get away with very scant info on an envelope and it'll still get there. I remember one where somebody sent a letter with vague directions on it, like "Take your first left on the way down the hill into St Agnes and her house is near the end of the cul-de-sac - it's the house with the red VW in the driveway."

Anyhoo, I know it doesn't stand much of a chance of being published after seeing just how many stories they take per year, but if you don't try, you'll never know, right?  smiley

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2008, 03:31:31 PM »

Fingers crossed for you, Ed!

Didn't a Clive Barker novel start in a lost mail office in middle America?

Quick question, could you not have used IRCs? Or does this particular market insist on stamps?

Regards,
Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »

Yep - it was only after waiting three weeks for the stamps that I re-read the submission guidelines and saw they'd accept IRCs. My wife bought three on Friday, then the feckin stamps turned up on the Saturday, which is fairly bloody typical, isn't it? rolleyes

Thanks for the crossed fingers - I'm going to need all the luck I can get smiley

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2008, 03:18:00 AM »

So, who felt the earthquake last night? huh Damn thing woke me up. Felt very strange - me and the Mrs lay there wondering WTF was going on. I decided the only thing it could be was a mild earthquake, so when I woke up this morning I intended to see if I could find out if one had been recorded. There weas no need to go looking, though - it was plastered all over the news 5.2 on the Richter Scale, apparently.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2008, 03:28:09 AM »

Same here, but I was still awake. When it happened I also came to the conclusion that it must have been a quake (on account of there was no traffic at just that precise moment - the big trucks cause a similar shaking). But then about half an hour later I heard a huge plane go over - I'm guessing it was a B52, as the sound was very similar to that we heard a lot back in the daws of Shock and Awe - and I started to imagine all sorts of scenarios that might have involved the two elements.

Hope you weren't subject to any damage? Must admit not been outside to check this place yet, but we're far enough away from the epicentre that I suspect (hope) that there was no harm done.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2008, 03:41:59 AM »

I sleep through anything. Earthquake? What earthquake?  scratch
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2008, 04:52:27 AM »

My son has a penthouse apartment in a converted Nottingham silk mill. He woke up to the sounds of the roof tiles flapping!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx